soooo.... my company just got bought out.

i3ooivl

Established Member
So for the past few years I've been a mechanical engineer for an engineering firm in the defence industry (DRS Technologies). This week an ITALIAN company (Finmeccanica), that is 35% owned by the ITALIAN government, has just announced plans to buy out my company.

I'm pretty sure Finmeccanica is going to have to have an American division and an Italian division, but I still think its pretty weak when a company overseas can swoop in and buy an american defence contractor.

*Updating resume*:cryying:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/13/business/finmec.php

1993R

Established Member
It's happening because of the weak American dollar. You will see many foreigners investing in US real estate too. Don't worry I worked for a company for 20 years and survived six buyouts. My former boss quote " I have been bought and sold more than a New Orleans hooker"

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
So for the past few years I've been a mechanical engineer for an engineering firm in the defence industry (DRS Technologies). This week an ITALIAN company (Finmeccanica), that is 35% owned by the ITALIAN government, has just announced plans to buy out my company.

I'm pretty sure Finmeccanica is going to have to have an American division and an Italian division, but I still think its pretty weak when a company overseas can swoop in and buy an american defence contractor.

I would get the hell out of there. Working for the French/Italians sucks.

Bigredmk86

2002 Lightning
Established Member
Best company I ever worked for got bought out. Five months later I was given a pink slip and was tolt that I was "Redundant." I was laid off once before by another company, but I took this one really hard. Loved that company and the people I worked with.

Not to scare you but you better update your resume. Always be prepared for the worst.

94_Vert

Established Member
"Peter, uh im gonna need you to, uh come in on saturday, okay, great."

Sinnz28

Established Member
I used to work for ingersoll rand and we got bought out about a year ago by Volvo.
they said the same thing "nothing is going to change" alot changed but it's not bad.
Good luck with it.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
You'll have it made! Form a workers' council, and insist on the same generous vacation and holiday packages that French and Italian workers get.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

My company got bought out by an Italian company a few years back, before i started working here.

It sucks. The Italians suck at business. They dont understand you must make money to spend money it seems. Its like pulling teeth to get decent bargain bin equipment approved. We have Chinese hardware producing our product with Italian software running it, if its not dialed in, our product sucks balls.

im just buying my time with this company, getting experience and then going to move on to an American owned one.

Users who are viewing this thread