Sonic Blue turbo Cobra with grey shelby stripes?

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
I was driving to work South on Rt 3. near Chelmsford on Friday.

Saw a Sonic Blue Cobra (03 or 04 I think). He pulled up next to me gunned it and I noticed it had a Turbo logo under the SVT logo.

Had some type of racing seats in it.

Any idea who this may be?

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hi guys,

Yup, blue smoke. That's why I pulled the motor out on Saturday. Trying to get to the bottom of it. :shrug:

MJ

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
mjchip said:
Hi guys,

Yup, blue smoke. That's why I pulled the motor out on Saturday. Trying to get to the bottom of it. :shrug:

MJ
:uh oh: :uh oh: I hope it is just something simple. Good luck!

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
mjchip said:
Hi guys,

MJ

I hope the fix is quick and easy. I really wanted to hear the turbos spool up too!

Well the car LOOKED nice anyways, I only wish the SVT dealers around had a Sonic Blue in stock. When I bought in July all they had was white, yellow, silver and black. Of course I picked the yellow.

Who did your racing stripes? I need to get a set of black ones on my car.

I also noticed you had racing seats. What brand? I'm currently running with a nice set of Cobra Daytona II's. Much better than the stock seats for everything.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
I hope the fix is quick and easy. I really wanted to hear the turbos spool up too!

Well the car LOOKED nice anyways, I only wish the SVT dealers around had a Sonic Blue in stock. When I bought in July all they had was white, yellow, silver and black. Of course I picked the yellow.

Who did your racing stripes? I need to get a set of black ones on my car.

I also noticed you had racing seats. What brand? I'm currently running with a nice set of Cobra Daytona II's. Much better than the stock seats for everything.

Hi,

I did the stripes with vinyl that i bought on Ebay. The seats are Sparco roadsters. They're nice but I want to switch over to an adjustable leather seat again so I'm going to sell or trade them.

MJ

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
mjchip said:
Hi,

I did the stripes with vinyl that i bought on Ebay. The seats are Sparco roadsters. They're nice but I want to switch over to an adjustable leather seat again so I'm going to sell or trade them.

MJ

They look really good. I'm going to try out some gloss black stripes, and do a Shelby GT500 like kick board stripe as well.

Once you get the Terminator all back together again, we should meet up, I'd really like to see all the work you put into the car.

Mine is nothing to write home about, just basic bolt ons and some weight reduction.

I think I need a tune too, but I need to find a good place first. I only know of one up in Concord NH, which is a freaking hike.

I still gotta get tires though.

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Hey MJ, Is this a new problem or the problem connected to the tensioners?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
They look really good. I'm going to try out some gloss black stripes, and do a Shelby GT500 like kick board stripe as well.

Once you get the Terminator all back together again, we should meet up, I'd really like to see all the work you put into the car.

Mine is nothing to write home about, just basic bolt ons and some weight reduction.

I think I need a tune too, but I need to find a good place first. I only know of one up in Concord NH, which is a freaking hike.

I still gotta get tires though.

Sounds good. You should definitely go to Concord, NH. It's a hike for me too (Chelmsford, MA) but it is SO worth the trip. Pete and Eddied know their shit.

MJ

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:

A hike! From Nashua? :lol:

Let's put it this way, I drive from the Cape to get my car tuned by Pete. He is the man. :thumbsup:

Go to Performance Dyno, definately worth every mile....

David

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Mark, sorry to hear you had to pull the engine again. Hope it's not a big problem
for you. Ken

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
KenCobra03 said:
Mark, sorry to hear you had to pull the engine again. Hope it's not a big problem
for you. Ken

Hey Ken,

At this point, no problem is too big. I've dealt with them all. I just don't want to miss the third entire racing season in a row.....

MJ

NH10th

Established Member
Mark,

I saw you on 495 a couple of Saturdays ago. Car looked great from a distance. I wanted to see it up close but I could not catch up to you in the Navigator.

I hope everything works out.

TTA89

Established Member
mjchip said:
Hey Ken,

At this point, no problem is too big. I've dealt with them all. I just don't want to miss the third entire racing season in a row.....

MJ

Why not just throw a stock motor in it so you can actually enjoy the car? :shrug:

Seems all your problems come from this "Bigger is better" deal with all these "trick" parts. Whats the worst that could happen to a stock motor? You blow it up? Doesn't seem like your "built" motors are doing any better than the stock motors.

Strokers, Cams, Ported heads... I bet you make very close to the same power with stock parts than will all those wiz bang bigger must be better parts. :( Boosted cars don't care about those things. You make 800hp, whats 20-30 less for better drivability and RELIABILITY!

I have been where you are, Trust me I know how you feel. I have friends that are where your at. It sucks having a car that doesnt run long enough to enjoy. I'll never put myself in that position again. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but man its no fun pulling the motor apart every 2000 miles and waiting another 10 months toget it back together when everyone promised you it would take a few weeks.

It should run 9s when its done.. The problem is its never done. I'd much rather have something I can drive and don't have to worry about.

I missed 4 seasons always saying "next year" it will be ready and It will kick ass! It took me 4 years to look around and realize everyone else building the same stuff I was never works right and always blows up. I cut my losses and moved on. Its so nice now to jump in the car anytime and go for a ride or go to the track and not worry if the car is going to blow up before I even get to the track. Your on your 3rd Missed season and it sounds like your not going to make it this year if you just pulled the motor.

Good Luck, I really hope your able to get the car stable at some point!! I'd like to see it at another Drag Day! :beer:

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
TTA89 said:
Why not just throw a stock motor in it so you can actually enjoy the car? :shrug:

Because a stock motor can't handle the power that I want to make. Been there and done that.

Seems all your problems come from this "Bigger is better" deal with all these "trick" parts. Whats the worst that could happen to a stock motor? You blow it up? Doesn't seem like your "built" motors are doing any better than the stock motors.

The built motors haven't held together that's true. However, there is nothing that has led me to believe that it can't be done. In fact, each of the lower engine problems that I've had with my "built" short block can be traced back to mfg. problems and not overstress, including this latest one.

Strokers, Cams, Ported heads... I bet you make very close to the same power with stock parts than will all those wiz bang bigger must be better parts. :( Boosted cars don't care about those things. You make 800hp, whats 20-30 less for better drivability and RELIABILITY!

Cams won't affect reliability, neither will ported heads. The stroker setup will have a small longevity impact due to pistons receding from bore more than with a stock stroke but nothing substantial. Also, none of these components had any culpability in the demise of my last three short blocks.

I have been where you are, Trust me I know how you feel. I have friends that are where your at. It sucks having a car that doesnt run long enough to enjoy. I'll never put myself in that position again. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but man its no fun pulling the motor apart every 2000 miles and waiting another 10 months toget it back together when everyone promised you it would take a few weeks.

Yes, it sucks having a car that isn't together long enough to enjoy. That is a fact. There is light at the end of the tunnel I'm sure and I haven't completely lost patience yet......although, I'm getting pretty damned close.

It should run 9s when its done.. The problem is its never done. I'd much rather have something I can drive and don't have to worry about.
I missed 4 seasons always saying "next year" it will be ready and It will kick ass! It took me 4 years to look around and realize everyone else building the same stuff I was never works right and always blows up. I cut my losses and moved on. Its so nice now to jump in the car anytime and go for a ride or go to the track and not worry if the car is going to blow up before I even get to the track. Your on your 3rd Missed season and it sounds like your not going to make it this year if you just pulled the motor.

Good Luck, I really hope your able to get the car stable at some point!! I'd like to see it at another Drag Day! :beer:

Thanks for your concerns Mike.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread