Sometimes a bolton/tuned 5.0 just isn't enough

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member
SHORT VERSION:
5.0 previously known mod list: offroad X pipe, CAI, tune, swapped to 3.73 gears and in a auto. year old mod list.
GTO: 402ci, 11.3 cr, fully ported TSP LS3 heads, ported LS3 intake, Ed C cam, 3600 stall, 3.70 gears.

Watch the mirrors, he wouldn't line up with me the first time, and second time he jumped before I could honk it off. 2nd race is up a pretty good grade hill btw. I'm thinking he did some more mods since last year, but not as much as I did!

new 5.0 versus built GTO #1 - YouTube
new 5.0 versus built GTO #2 - YouTube

LONG VERSION:
Met this dude at the track a year+ ago, he had his 90lb wife driving what i assume was his blue 5.0 auto and it was pulling very respectable times of 12.1 to 12.2 @ 113-114mph out of his stock stall auto on 12.5" slicks (2200' DA).

At the time the 5.0 impact was still fresh in the car community so I had a hard time believing the Cobra guys on his mods: CAI, tune, 3.73 gears (he put them in), offroad X pipe, slicks. So I walked over and introduced myself and talked with him for the rest of the day.

The termi guys were seriously fretting over the new 5.0's, especially since his times were right at what two of the pullied/bolton cobra's were running. Honestly reminded me of the reaction a bunch of average looking ladies have when a truly hot chick enters the room and gets all the guys attention. :burn:

We never ran each other, but our times were damn near identical with me having 1-2 mph more with my L92 heads/stall/small cam previous build. Fast forward to this morning, and what face do I see in the window of the blue 5.0 next to me but his finally!

Both being older responsible types we managed to drive 25 miles encompassing 2 highways and 1 freeway in caravan together before the back and forth to see who would first break the *MMOB* creed wore me down first. Sorry fellas, I was no longer MMOB and wanted to show him what the stroker, gears, and traction did for my car!

*MMOB*: Minding My Own Business, aka get the other driver to initiate his destruction in a way that he never realizes you had a hand in initiating it. Us GTO guys are big on that kinda thing. I like to think it's how that 70's show dad would do it. Because you just know that he should have had a '69 GTO in that show. And he would have racked up the kills using MMOB. lol

Cast-of-That-70-s-Show-that-70-27s-show-119046_300_400.jpg

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
well, if all he was running then is 113ish trap speeds, that's decent but meh...

good kills, I've always liked the GTO's

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member
Pacific Raceways is a notoriously slow track, that is a solid 11 second ride with a better DA at one of the other tracks around here which is why I was so impressed. Example: a whole herd of SRT8 cars were there, stock to full boltons, and none did better then 13.5 @ 112mph (full boltons, gears, ported intake and some other dodge specific mods). No N/A Mustang besides him got out of the 14's, including a couple 2010 4.6 GT's. Pretty typical for around here. BTW one of those 2010 4.6 GT's had tune/headers/4.11/CAI/ DR's and some other suspension stuff and only pulled a 14.0 @ 104mph. Should have asked him how he felt about his purchase when if he waited just a couple months he could have gotten a 5.0 or used that money to buy a '03/'04 Cobra.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
BTW one of those 2010 4.6 GT's had tune/headers/4.11/CAI/ DR's and some other suspension stuff and only pulled a 14.0 @ 104mph. Should have asked him how he felt about his purchase when if he waited just a couple months he could have gotten a 5.0 or used that money to buy a '03/'04 Cobra.

Why, if he was running that slow the power of a 5.0/03-04 wouldnt help him to do any better. You can have a 12 second car all day but if youre a 14 second driver it wont matter. I ran a 14.0 with my 02 GT and just DR's/intake/roush side exhaust (probably robbing power) and a diablo t00ner.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Why, if he was running that slow the power of a 5.0/03-04 wouldnt help him to do any better. You can have a 12 second car all day but if youre a 14 second driver it wont matter. I ran a 14.0 with my 02 GT and just DR's/intake/roush side exhaust (probably robbing power) and a diablo t00ner.

This... some people never put 2 and 2 together properly though... I remember watching a C5 Z06 running 14s at the track and a bunch of people near me in the crowd were saying he should have gotten a Z06 because they thought he had the base Corvette. :nonono:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
This... some people never put 2 and 2 together properly though... I remember watching a C5 Z06 running 14s at the track and a bunch of people near me in the crowd were saying he should have gotten a Z06 because they thought he had the base Corvette. :nonono:

Reminds me of running a buddy at the track, my bone stock 98 C5 (auto/2.73 gears) ran [email protected] his 01 Z06 ran 13.6@108.. he had at the time headers off road X pipe and Corsa cat back.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
The termi guys were seriously fretting over the new 5.0's, especially since his times were right at what two of the pullied/bolton cobra's were running. Honestly reminded me of the reaction a bunch of average looking ladies have when a truly hot chick enters the room and gets all the guys attention. :burn:

Bet it was similar to when the 03 Cobras appeared with light mods and all the LS1 owners were complaining about Forced induction?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
OP is 100% correct. A bolt on 302 car is, indeed, no match for a completely worked-up 402 car.

Bmr4life

Established Member
OP is 100% correct. A bolt on 302 car is, indeed, no match for a completely worked-up 402 car.

I agree with that. Would take a horrible driver to lose that race. OP, how much did your more recent mods cost? Aren't ported heads and cams around $2k?

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member

I agree, I know a guy who couldn't bust into the 11's with his Whippled Terminator, 540hp, WFT. Driver skills play a huge roll.

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member
Bet it was similar to when the 03 Cobras appeared with light mods and all the LS1 owners were complaining about Forced induction?
Man you wouldn't believe the nut hugging that went on when that happened. EVERY SINGLE FBODY OWNER was thanking god that GM killed the camaro when it did. Some said that GM would have come out with something to match the Cobra, but most new the reality of it: GM wouldn't have cared one iota. Just like they dont care that the 5.0 stomps the 5th gen as bad as it does.
I agree with that. Would take a horrible driver to lose that race. OP, how much did your more recent mods cost? Aren't ported heads and cams around $2k?
Heads/cam/spring kit were almost $2k. Engine build was spendy though: $7500 for the long block. I went overboard on everything: the rotating assembly is set to handle 1,500hp even though the block would give up the ghost north of 1,000hp. Just wanted something stout enough to handle a 250 shot ontop of the probably 600hp (crank) it makes N/A. Should last me 80k-100k miles of daily driving with spring changes every 30-40k. Fingers crossed as I'm already at 30,000 miles and will be doing the first spring change and compression check soon. All that work and money to basically match a stock termi short block.... lol
Imagine a stroked, raised comp, ported head, cammed, stalled auto 5.0 vs the gto.

Now that would be fun.

Has anyone even made one yet? Streetable I mean, not a race only car. I'd imagine it would be a solid 10 second car without gutting it. Bet it would cost more then my build though! lol

Bmr4life

Established Member
Has anyone even made one yet? Streetable I mean, not a race only car. I'd imagine it would be a solid 10 second car without gutting it. Bet it would cost more then my build though! lol

For the 5.0, the money is better spent on FI which is good for 650hp (and up) at the crank.

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member
For the 5.0, the money is better spent on FI which is good for 650hp (and up) at the crank.

Yeah I've heard of a ton of guys doing that with barely any other mods. Nice numbers for sure, but IMO a stroker/heads/cam setup would be funnier and faster if it could get anywhere near 600rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread