Something weird this morning...

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Folks: I drove the beast this morning to work (Tucson AZ) with temps around 44 degrees. Not far from my home, less than 1/2 mile, it seemed like the engine was stumbling. The traction control light came on when this happened. It just felt like the car lost power for a second or two, then it came back. It happened at least twice. I pulled over and everything seemed fine. I got on the highway and a low pressure light came on the dash. I stopped at a local shop and the tires were a little low, all around 28 pounds. I added air to 35 PSI to be safe.

On the way home, everything seems OK.

Anything I should worry about here? I am 100% sure the tires did not lose traction in the morning. The engine was ice cold and I ALWAYS baby it to death until I see the temp into normal operating range. I hope something is not going out, but, could it be related to the low tire pressure somehow? On appearance, the tires looked fine....

Thanks

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Could be the low tires but doubtful being they were all even. Maybe a wheel speed sensor going bad intermittently causing the traction control to see a loss of traction? I'd drive it and see if it happens again and if it does disable the traction/stability control and see if it happens again. If it does not its probably a sensor going bad so have it scanned.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks, seemed fine on the way home. Hard to believe an alternator, just 22k miles on it and a new battery now. But I have read about that here. We'll see.... thanks

railroad

Established Member
Could your tire pressure been low enough to simulate a smaller diameter tire. This might send a different rotation count to the traction control.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
At 44 degrees are you sure the tires weren't slipping causing the TC light to come on?

MysticRob

Established Member
Sounds too warm for road ice, so first thing I thought was you hit a small oil patch or coolant slick, or something slimy enough to break traction momentarily and cause the TC to kick on. Symptoms match anyway.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
What tires are on it? I know when its cold here in SD the factory Spinyear Supercar G:2s are like rocks. Stock street tires are going to be all-seasons when ever the hell these damn things wear out.

Low tire could definitely cause that sensation, especially cold. Make sure you have no punctures either! But if you set them like at 32 psi on a warm day, over time and combined with cold ambient temps, those PSI's will drop down that low.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds too warm for road ice, so first thing I thought was you hit a small oil patch or coolant slick, or something slimy enough to break traction momentarily and cause the TC to kick on. Symptoms match anyway.

Obviously it's above freezing. But depending on the tires, they could be really hard and not have any traction.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks guys, let's hope it doesn't happen again, but for sure there was no ice and I am 99% sure the tires did not slip. I was at like 1500 RPM or so, barely idling away from my drive way.....

finally03gt

Established Member
I've had mine act all kinds of stupid if I don't let the traction control complete it's self test cycle before I get the tires rolling. When it does, I just stop, turn the key off and restart, and wait about 5 seconds after the traction and VSC lights go off, and all is well.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Folks: I drove the beast this morning to work (Tucson AZ) with temps around 44 degrees. Not far from my home, less than 1/2 mile, it seemed like the engine was stumbling. The traction control light came on when this happened. It just felt like the car lost power for a second or two, then it came back. It happened at least twice. I pulled over and everything seemed fine. I got on the highway and a low pressure light came on the dash. I stopped at a local shop and the tires were a little low, all around 28 pounds. I added air to 35 PSI to be safe.

On the way home, everything seems OK.

Anything I should worry about here? I am 100% sure the tires did not lose traction in the morning. The engine was ice cold and I ALWAYS baby it to death until I see the temp into normal operating range. I hope something is not going out, but, could it be related to the low tire pressure somehow? On appearance, the tires looked fine....

Thanks

KISS - tire spin

no need to overthink it. Especially if you're running stock GYs. Heck they tell the owner not to drive them in 40* or lower temps, 44 ambiant could easily have had the ground below 40 particularly if was early morning.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks again guys, I am running Michelin Super Sport tires, not the goodyears. It was not spinning, period.

As far as the "self test cycle", can you please tell me more about this? How long does it take and when does it happen (after or before the motor turns over?)

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Anyone got some insight on the self-test thing? We are having brutal winter weather this week, highs in the mid-50's, so I am not going to drive until it warms back up. Hoping the issue goes away, but I am skeptical. Thanks

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
hehehe, I remember when mid 50's was brutal winter weather. I moved to CA and it was like 66-70 degrees on the coast in the fall and I thought I was about to freeze my ass off.

Honestly that function check happens so fast, you'd have to instantly mash the gas while being in reverse to have it even potentially cause you a problem. Cruising down Oracle (my assumption from where youve described being in Tucson) to the UA shouldnt cause that either. Unless it happens more often, if at all, then datalog if you're on a tune. Possibly something your tuner can see.

My car has done a magical stall out with clutch depessed in neutral coming to a stop recently. Need to check stuff first but I know how you feel.

finally03gt

Established Member
I've had it happen twice. Once I dropped the clutch at a stop sign, and so I restarted and took off pretty quick. The other time I was backing, and stalled it when I was still rolling in reverse when I started coming off the clutch in 1st. Both driver error, but both resulted in me being in motion quickly after restarting. When you start it, the trac light and the VSC light come on for, hhmm about 5 seconds. If you have the wheels rolling before those lights go out, it can act weird. The specific symptom I noticed was at about 40 mph the right front wheel would grab and release.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Users who are viewing this thread