Something must be wrong. Need opinions

NoPistons

Established Member
Hey all. So I had a short run in with my friends RSX tonight and I was really disappointed with my cobra. It is a 96 with 122k on the clock. I just bought it last summer. The RSX hat a few bolt ons (intake, exhaust), so I figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue. When we ran, he got me by 2-3 cars, and there really wasn't anything I could do about it.. I have always heard that our cars don't have the greatest low end, but pull pretty hard in the higher RPM's. My car never seems to start pulling much harder as the RPM's build. Does it sound like something is wrong to you guys? I didn't think an RSX would be an issue? Thanks all.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Yes he could have pulled you by 3 cars and your car may be running just fine. I could ask you a lot of questions or tell you a ton of things to look at to insure you are running your best but the street loss is not a good way to know for sure. You need a DINO or an good track time IE (1/8 mile @ 82.5 and a time of 8.12). This will show you are running just fine. Now if you want to check something I would start with a PSI test of the pistons with the miles you are reporting. The street is the best place for a ticket not a test of your setup.

GForceJunkie

Established Member
I would suggest making sure your IMRC plates are opening properly.
I have IMRC deletes, it's a little sluggish in the low rpm range but pulls real well over 3000 rpm.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Yes he could have pulled you by 3 cars and your car may be running just fine. I could ask you a lot of questions or tell you a ton of things to look at to insure you are running your best but the street loss is not a good way to know for sure. You need a DINO or an good track time IE (1/8 mile @ 82.5 and a time of 8.12). This will show you are running just fine. Now if you want to check something I would start with a PSI test of the pistons with the miles you are reporting. The street is the best place for a ticket not a test of your setup.

What is a DINO? :dw: Wasn't that the dinosaur on the Flintstones?

NoPistons

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I have heard about the problems with the IMRC's getting stuck, but I have no idea how to go about checking that. I do have stock gears, and actually no mods at all. It was a type-s six speed that I ran against. And for those worrying about tickets and running on the street, dont stress. This wasn't a lined up street race it was a short run while we were driving to a different location. So does this sound about right? How do I check the IMRC's?

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
One of the cheapest ways is a seat of the pants test provided it can be done safely at about 3250 rpms you should feel the car pick up as that is when they are supposed to open. I'm sure there are other more specific and expensive ways but that was the one I always used. Provided you don't get a ticket then it is cheaper lol. Just because they open doesn't mean they might not be gummed up and not working completly though I'm sure on of the engine builder types will chime in to help you though. I just leave it in third and mash the pedal where it is safe and watch the tack(and the road lol) and at a little over 3250 you should feel the car get stronger as they open. Just a quick way to check hope this helps.:burnout:

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I have heard about the problems with the IMRC's getting stuck, but I have no idea how to go about checking that. I do have stock gears, and actually no mods at all. It was a type-s six speed that I ran against. And for those worrying about tickets and running on the street, dont stress. This wasn't a lined up street race it was a short run while we were driving to a different location. So does this sound about right? How do I check the IMRC's?
I dont think you should be losing, especially not by 3 cars. Driver mod mabe?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
3 cars is too much, either driver or the car has something wrong with it, how hard does the car pull when you drive it?

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
What is a DINO? :dw: Wasn't that the dinosaur on the Flintstones?

:lol1:

Well it could be a bunch of things. There needs to be something seriously wrong with the car if it 3 car lengths behind an RSX. Check the IMRC's, or do a compression test.

How much experience do you have driving? Good luck finding the problem.

SoddyRebel

Darkside
Established Member
i beat a type-s from a roll by about a car one night, so i would think urs should. but i mean he could have been a sucky driver :shrug:

NoPistons

Established Member
So I tried the seat of the pants test to check the IMRC's and there is no discernible difference below or above 3150. How big of a deal is it to either get them cleaned or removed?

jlg32281

Established Member
it's easy, mostly common sense. you pull everything off the top to remove the manifold and wa-lah, there are the IMRC's. take them off and clean them and put it all back together. it's an easy job and should only take about an hour to pull them and put it back together. the actual cleaning part should take a little longer though. It's a little tedious.

http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Reach behind the intake on each side and find the cables to the IMRCs
Rev the motor past 3250 and the cables should jump.

If they don't the controler is shot, if they do then look where they hook to the plates do it again and make sure you see them pull open.

Should have a code though if they are stuck closed or broken.

jlg32281

Established Member
And just a friendly reminder, our cars were only fast compared to other cars of it's time. The bottom line is that a stock 96-98 Cobra just isn't that fast compared to newer cars.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

What the hell difference does it make a street race is a street race.

but to your question.... did you put your pistons back in?

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
And just a friendly reminder, our cars were only fast compared to other cars of it's time. The bottom line is that a stock 96-98 Cobra just isn't that fast compared to newer cars.

Its an RSX.

:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread