Something is f'ed w/ my motor

ChuckysSVT

LS1/6 speed 68 Camaro
Established Member
I was coming home tonight running the freeway w/ a buddy and during a 3rd gear pull I shifted into 4th..............wait oooops 2nd....and overrevved the engine. When we pulled off the freeway there was a clicking sound from the engine. I was thinking valve but I cut the belt to the eaton and the sound stopped. Anyone have problems w/ the eaton..? Im going to pull it off tomorrow and check it out. Im going to order up a FRPS cause its probably screwed also. I drove it home 8 miles w/out the blower belt. It sounds ok but....who knows. Any info on the matter is appreciated.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I know there are guys who have overspun their eaton over long periods of time, and had to have the bearings redone. Never heard of it happening so suddenly. I don't think it was all that bad to fix if that's what happened.

Also, check your idler pulleys. Those have been known to break if they are stock.

rmgtc01

Established Member
I have done that twice now while racing. Once agains a Porshe TT, and then a GT stang.
Over-revved and then the rear locked up, and goes rrrr-rrrr rrrr. I jammed in the clutch as quickly as I did it.

I haven't had any issues yet, but you probably have more done to your car. I just had I/CB at the time.

If you took your SC out of the equation and the problem/noise went away, then toubleshooting would say that is the problem. Could be more, but most likely it is there.

Keep us posted.

wrxfc3s

boost for life baby!
Established Member
could be one of the idlers

ChuckysSVT said:
I was coming home tonight running the freeway w/ a buddy and during a 3rd gear pull I shifted into 4th..............wait oooops 2nd....and overrevved the engine. When we pulled off the freeway there was a clicking sound from the engine. I was thinking valve but I cut the belt to the eaton and the sound stopped. Anyone have problems w/ the eaton..? Im going to pull it off tomorrow and check it out. Im going to order up a FRPS cause its probably screwed also. I drove it home 8 miles w/out the blower belt. It sounds ok but....who knows. Any info on the matter is appreciated.

Not sure which belt your running or how tight it is, but I have gone through 2 stock idlers, one cracked and ate the belt, the other started making noises and the bearing went bad. If memory serves me correctly it sound kinda like a click but didn't always make the same noise. It's possible that the pressure increase that quickly damaged the idler bearing's...

ChuckysSVT

LS1/6 speed 68 Camaro
Established Member
Paul's_03SVT said:
So you removed your rev limiter?

I have a rev limiter...I mechanically over-revved the engine...the limiter wont help that. I pulled the blower and found no debris in the intake or above the intercooler. The car ran fine w/ out the blower running so I dont think it was a valve. Im thinking that the bearings in the blower are bad. I have alot of play in the rotors themselves...I dont recall if it was like this when I installed it. Also the Boost bypass valve sounds like something is up when you shake the blower....I think that was making the clicking noise when the blower was running. Anyhow I think I am either going to send the blower off to steg and have it tore down or just junk it and buy a whipple.....everyone gets there sooner or later anyhow. I was making good power w/ the eaton though and I'm having a hard time justifying 3k for a blower and 1k for the supporting mods for 100hp. I have a nitrous kit sitting in the garage that could get me there cheaper...anyhow thx for the posts

Users who are viewing this thread