Something I don't understand about Traction Control and launches

demas

Established Member
Hey guys,
First of all, I'm sorry if this will be a n00b question but i gotta understand and i'm sure you can clarify it for me.
I always see that people say the best way to launch is to turn the AdvanceTrac off completely including the TC.
Now, when you turn it off you might launch faster but what about stability and prevent going to the side walls? how do you handle this?

When I turn the AdvanceTrac off my car is spinning like hell in 2nd and i really afraid to smash into a wall or something.
So TC can save me but can slow me.
Would like to hear what do you think about it and how to handle this.

Thanks!

11gtcs

Established Member
It's called driver mod. Get to know the car and pedal the gas so your on the edge off spinning but still getting the power down. As the car accelerates you will be able to lean into the throttle more. It takes practice. If your blowing the tires off in second and holding the hammer down, then that's just an accident waiting to happen. If you start to spin, you have to pedal it.

Last edited:

demas

Established Member
It's called driver mod. Get to know the car and pedal the gas so your on the edge off spinning but still getting the power down. It takes practice. If your blowing the tires off in second and holding the hammer down, then that's just an accident waiting to happen. If you start to spin, you have to pedal it.

Thanks for the tip. What exactly do you mean by "pedal it" - do you mean the way i press the gas pedal?

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Thanks for the tip. What exactly do you mean by "pedal it" - do you mean the way i press the gas pedal?

If you start spinning, let off the throttle just enough to stop spinning, and then ease back into it slowly when you regain traction. Repeat as needed

Blu13gt

Established Member
it means let off then gas till it stops spinning the tires then smoothly press the pedal again until just before the tires break loose again.

EDIT*** Your just a bit faster than me.

Last edited:

demas

Established Member
Ok I got it. Would you recommend turning the TC off even on the street race ?

11gtcs

Established Member
Honestly, if your not an experienced driver than you should always leave traction control on.

Last edited:

heart_attack

Established Member
The quicker you catch it the better off you'll be. A quick "slap" of the pedal should be all you need. Or a better tire.

11gtcs

Established Member
Traction control on vs off.

Inexperienced driver will probably have best ETs with traction control on vs off.

Experienced driver will probably have marginally better ETs with traction control off vs on.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Traction control on vs off.

Inexperienced driver will probably have best ETs with traction control on vs off.

Experienced driver will probably have marginally better ETs with traction control off vs on.

Not sure about marginally, I'd say significantly better ET's with TC/AdvanceTrac off with a good driver. Just being aggressive with the launch, the PCM will close the throttle among other things to prevent any wheel spin. With a manual, that throttle interference would also happen with the 1-2 and maybe the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.

I had a kid come up to me this past Friday asking me for advice with his recently purchased 2014. He was asking me these same questions, it's his first Mustang, let a lone RWD car. I basically told him to keep all the nannies on until he drives and learns the car more, something you should also be doing, OP. Back off of them little by little, TC first, then TC/AdvanceTrac all together. It's all about finessing the throttle and clutch together and feeling/hearing what the car is doing and that will come with experience, just be safe.

Last edited:

demas

Established Member
Not sure about marginally, I'd say significantly better ET's with TC/AdvanceTrac off with a good driver. Just being aggressive with the launch, the PCM will close the throttle among other things to prevent any wheel spin. With a manual, that throttle interference would also happen with the 1-2 and maybe the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.

I had a kid come up to me this past Friday asking me for advice with his recently purchased 2014. He was asking me these same questions, it's his first Mustang, let a lone RWD car. I basically told him to keep all the nannies on until he drives and learns the car more, something you should also be doing, OP. Back off of them little by little, TC first, then TC/AdvanceTrac all together. It's all about finessing the throttle and clutch together and feeling/hearing what the car is doing and that will come with experience, just be safe.

Great tips guys! Thank you
Anything special for an Auto?

Vert

Established Member
You might try leaving the TC on during launch and then pressing the TC button once the tranny shifts into 2nd. I've only played with it a few times on the street and I need to see if it even helps at the track.

imeyers302

Established Member
Just gonna throw this out there but what about Sport mode for traction control for a non experienced raver? Let's wheels spin but will intervene if car gets sideways. Have tried it on mine a few times. As long as car is going straight you can spin tires pretty good.

demas

Established Member
I should try Sport mode as well!
Ok guys I now understand it, but need more practice.
Thanks again!

nate714

Established Member
It's about control, not how hard you can jam your foot in the gas pedal, especially with a vmp blower lol. I wouldn't completely turn off advancetrack, I lost track of threads you've started asking about traction lol. Turning off TC on a safe enough road might faster but the the stability control of advance track (or even sport mode) might save your car from a wall.

noldevin

Established Member
It's about control, not how hard you can jam your foot in the gas pedal, especially with a vmp blower lol. I wouldn't completely turn off advancetrack, I lost track of threads you've started asking about traction lol. Turning off TC on a safe enough road might faster but the the stability control of advance track (or even sport mode) might save your car from a wall.

Yeah this. I always say: If you have to ask, leave it on.

Users who are viewing this thread