Someone stole all my money.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Somehow someone was able to withdrawl all my money from an ATM. This makes no sense because 1) I never lost possesion of my debit card and 2) The transactions were done on the other side of town. I don't know how they managed to do it, but they were kind enough to leave me with $16 to live on. Anyone have an idea of how?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
umm have you contacted your bank? the police etc? how did they get it out without a pin number?

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Yes, I just got back from the bank. Since the transactions are still pending, they wont post till tonight. Tomorrow I am supposed to call this number and let them know what happened. I have not contacted the police. To me, it doesn't seem like there is much they can do.

I have no idea how they got it, but they did.

It was over $1,000

LS2GTO

Established Member
Short of actually robbing a bank, the only way to do such a thing would require the thief to know your account number (or debit card number) and your pin. This could be done either online if you ever used online banking, or by snooping around in your wallet.

I'd question people you know about this, as it sounds like an inside job. If your card was actullay gone I'd say it was lost/stolen and the thief gained access to your account, but seeing as how you never actually lost the card means someone got access to it while in your possession aka in your home, at a restaurant etc.

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
well that is bad news indeed, But you can use the money you have in your savings account to live off of while the police + bank figure it out.

It was over $1,000
How can they withdraw that much from a ATM was it over a period of days? or you assume it was atm they could of used the # online

Last edited:

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Short of actually robbing a bank, the only way to do such a thing would require the thief to know your account number (or debit card number) and your pin. This could be done either online if you ever used online banking, or by snooping around in your wallet.

I'd question people you know about this, as it sounds like an inside job. If your card was actullay gone I'd say it was lost/stolen and the thief gained access to your account, but seeing as how you never actually lost the card means someone got access to it while in your possession aka in your home, at a restaurant etc.

I know this makes absolutely no sense considering it was done at an ATM. They would need my card, AND my pin number.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
well that is bad news indeed, But you can use the money you have in your savings account to live off of while the police + bank figure it out.

How can they withdraw that much from a ATM was it over a period of days? or you assume it was atm they could of used the # online

Looks like it was over a period of days, I just didn't notice till now. The first transaction was friday.

On my online statement it shows "ATM DEBIT" then the locaction, and then the amount they withdrew.

evolve

Established Member
1st- call the police. 2nd- call your bank. After that, hope they give you the $$$ back, which if everything seems legit on your part, they will. Good luck man, shit like this makes not carrying cash suck.

thasalvoo

In Tampa i know they have had theives put a device over the atm card reader where your card goes into the machine. This records the information off the strip. Then there is a small camera placed to watch your fingers as you enter the pin. The theif comes back at a later time takes the device off and make his own generic atm card with your information. pretty crazy but its been happening alot around here.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Hopefully the bank will just put the money back. If they do, there will be no need for you to contact the police. It's possible that the bank will want you to file a police report first, in which case you'll just want to bring a printout of your account activity as documentation. In any case, good luck...

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
In Tampa i know they have had theives put a device over the atm card reader where your card goes into the machine. This records the information off the strip. Then there is a small camera placed to watch your fingers as you enter the pin. The theif comes back at a later time takes the device off and make his own generic atm card with your information. pretty crazy but its been happening alot around here.

Wow wtf. It's unusual because I never use ATMs. I usually just take cash out when I'm at a gas station or a grocery store and it asks if I want cash back with my purchase.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Well there are card copiers (I cant remember what they are technically called lol) that people put in front of the card slots on ATMs that copy your card. I'm not sure if it can log your pin though. Anyway they can make a copy of your card with the stored info and obviously use it.

TourEnvy

Around
Established Member
Sounds like Skimming, it needs to be reported to the poilce because you are probably not the only one.

Skimming is the theft of credit card information used in an otherwise legitimate transaction. It is typically an "inside job" by a dishonest employee of a legitimate merchant. The thief can procure a victim’s credit card number using basic methods such as photocopying receipts or more advanced methods such as using a small electronic device (skimmer) to swipe and store hundreds of victims’ credit card numbers. Common scenarios for skimming are restaurants or bars where the skimmer has possession of the victim's credit card out of their immediate view.[7] The thief may also use a small keypad to unobtrusively transcribe the 3 or 4 digit Card Security Code which is not present on the magnetic strip.
Instances of skimming have been reported where the perpetrator has put a device over the card slot of a ATM (automated teller machine), which reads the magnetic strip as the user unknowingly passes their card through it. These devices are often used in conjunction with a pinhole camera to read the user's PIN at the same time.[8]
Skimming is difficult for the typical cardholder to detect, but given a large enough sample, it is fairly easy for the card issuer to detect. The issuer collects a list of all the cardholders who have complained about fraudulent transactions, and then uses data mining to discover relationships among them and the merchants they use. For example, if many of the cardholders use a particular merchant, that merchant can be directly investigated. Sophisticated algorithms can also search for patterns of fraud. Merchants must ensure the physical security of their terminals, and penalties for merchants can be severe if they are compromised, ranging from large fines by the issuer to complete exclusion from the system, which can be a death blow to businesses such as restaurants where credit card transactions are the norm.

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow wtf. It's unusual because I never use ATMs. I usually just take cash out when I'm at a gas station or a grocery store and it asks if I want cash back with my purchase.

Lol beat me to it ha

Users who are viewing this thread