Someone pranked me

Panic661

Established Member
Well, someone in one of the other apprenticeship classes decided they'd be funny and pull a prank on me.. making a fake license plate out of paper, larger blue lettering, red "California" month, year, ect.

Anyways, I didn't noticed this and drove home, later on my fiance caught it.

I'm pretty mad, knowing very well the fines could result in some bad stuff, especially considering the way my car is in California.

Just wondering, what are some of the fines for covering your rear license plate in different states?

txyaloo

Established Member
Prior to this last legislative session, in Texas, your car could be impounded for covering any of the license plate. Now IIRC 3/4 of the plate must be visible including certain elements.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Prior to this last legislative session, in Texas, your car could be impounded for covering any of the license plate. Now IIRC 3/4 of the plate must be visible including certain elements.

Funny how that changed when someone in the Capital building got pulled over for that law :banana::banana:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
What about a dirty truck with mud over the plate? Or possibly just snow packed over the plate. I understand it has to be seen, but typically what do the LEO's do if it's not? Pull you over and ask you to brush it off, or do they give the ticket?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I think most officers would stop and issue a warning for an unreadable or dirty license plate. Now, if the officer determines the driver may have done it on purpose. Example, covering the dates of expiration or something along those lines it could go to a ticket.

Smokinjoe

Established Member
What about a dirty truck with mud over the plate? Or possibly just snow packed over the plate. I understand it has to be seen, but typically what do the LEO's do if it's not? Pull you over and ask you to brush it off, or do they give the ticket?

During Maine winters our car get quite dirty including our plates. I've been stopped before for having an "unreadable" plate. The cop was obviously looking for DWI's. He actually wiped of my plate for me, and sent me on my way.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
During Maine winters our car get quite dirty including our plates. I've been stopped before for having an "unreadable" plate. The cop was obviously looking for DWI's. He actually wiped of my plate for me, and sent me on my way.

Indeed. Most of the time it is simply probable cause for the stop to initiate contact with the driver.

A ton of felony arrests on made on simple traffic stops where warrants are revealed.

Users who are viewing this thread