Somebody who has been through the T 56 swap.

Force-fed04

Established Member
I seem to find so much conflicting information in regards to what driveshaft dimensions should be used when doing a t56 swap into a GT. Most of the shops that do the kits guard this information. So will somebody with a GT with solid rear axle and a custom driveshaft measure from the center of your universal joint to universal joint and put to bed the question what driveshaft? , The most common idea is 1 inch should be cut down from your GT drive shaft which is 451/2 inches . So if that information is correct I should need 44 1/2 inches which is the same driveshaft length the 2001 cobra uses sR performance sells the driveshaft on American muscle.com at 44.5 inches .but I would like to confirm this from somebody who had a custom driveshaft made it before purchasing

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
I may not be a whole lot of help, but I did a complete 03/04 drivetrain swap in my 99 gt. I left the solid rear in. Your best bet (and to save a lot of headache) would to be just get the factory driveshaft that came with the t56, and swap out the u-joint and pinion yoke to fit the solid rear. That is what I ended up doing.

Otherwise though, 44.5" should be correct.

Force-fed04

Established Member
I may not be a whole lot of help, but I did a complete 03/04 drivetrain swap in my 99 gt. I left the solid rear in. Your best bet (and to save a lot of headache) would to be just get the factory driveshaft that came with the t56, and swap out the u-joint and pinion yoke to fit the solid rear. That is what I ended up doing.

Otherwise though, 44.5" should be correct.

Thanks I definitely appreciate the response but it seems like the 04 cobra driveshafts are getting harder to find , far as I know they don't make them anymore and if you wanted a drop-in there's not many choices . So American muscle sells the aluminum driveshaft now for the 99 through 2002 cobra it measures 44 1/2 it had a 31 spline yolk my T 56 also has a 31 spline output so it was a direct drop in

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Force-fed04

Established Member
Update I went ahead and purchased the aluminum 2001 cobra driveshaft and it works great 44 and a half inches from Center of U-joint to U-joint straight swap in for me solid rear axle w/ T56 Cobra R-Spec trans

Sent from my Z981 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread