some questions about the 2012 shelby gt500 or 2013

svtsupersnake

Banned
hey so i am almost set on buying a 2012 or 2013 gt500 in march if its avaible by then and i was wondering to all the owners of 2011 or 2012 gt500 owners is how comfortable is the car? Like is it very bumpy and rough? cuz i drive a 04 right now and its the most bumpy thing ever i was jw wit the gt500 cuz this is going to be my daily driver too so i need power and comfort. Also wat mods can be done that will actually help put the power to the pavement and give the car more traction. I was thinking of maybe changing the differential to the ones on lethal performance or americanmuscle has the fr500 differential idk if that would be better so yea ur guys thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I would reccomend going and test driving a used 2011 gt500 at a local dealer. Having owned an 03 previously, this is an entirely different driving/riding/handling car.

I miss the rawness of my 03, but am much happier with my 08

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Dude, type in ENGLISH.

edit... sorry that was a bit rude. The SVTPP is a pretty rough ride. About the same as my old Subaru STI. Worth it though. '13 gets you 600+ hp, but so does a '12 with a pulley/tune. Or do a TVS blower like the '13 has and you're ahead of the game.

Last edited:

91svtbird

Established Member
I would wait until the 2013 5.8L + a 2.3TVS will be Factory,(600+hp) not to mention cooling and suspension upgrades......might even see some cosmetic changes that you may like better over the current look....who knows....;-)

whiplash920

Established Member
power to the ground - uca, lca's, panhard bar, and lowering springs. then youll be looking for better traction..then more power, it never ends.

svtsupersnake

Banned
i didnt see many upper and lower control arms for the shelbys on lethal performance plus i am not going to do lowering springs cuz i lowered my 04 and it became the most bumpy whiplash car ever even with tokico d specs on it so i refuse to lower a car ever again because of that

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I have a 2012 gt500 svtpp with 2000 kms on it now and the ride is very firm but not jarring. Power is very good (especially around 6000 rpm) the seats are very comfortable but road noise is a tad high IMO. Two problems I have with the car that the dealer would not take care of are: serious wheel hop around 2500 rpm and 1-2 shifting (grind or lock out at high rpm) other than those two things the car is a pleasure to own and drive.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Regular seats (didn't like the way the Recaros looked) they feel both supportive and comfortable.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
No major problems with my 2011. Cosmetically, one tailpipe is a little higher than the other but I will have it fixed when I find a couple of other things. I have 6k miles on it and wouldn't think of another car. It is the best Mustang I have ever owned. I like the acceleration but the one characteristic I like most is when the tires are warm it sticks to the road and the turns you can make with it are awesome.

svtsupersnake

Banned
but when u drive it does it feel bumpy at all like is it smooth? i'm basically wondering how good the shocks/struts and springs are for absorbing the impact from daily driving

svtsupersnake

Banned
i sat in a mustang wit recaro seats a while ago but didnt really pay attention to how it felt was in then out but i did sit wit the regular seats and wat i remember is that wit those seats i felt like i was sinking in them like it was a 3k massage chair from brookstone but i doubt the recaro seats feel that way though

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Car rides way smoother than the 03-04s did. The PP shelby will ride a little stiffer than the non-PP. Its still a muscle car so you will feel the bumps in the road. If you add any power mods tires will need to be upgraded. Wait for the 2013 and see if you can get a decent deal. By then you should be able to find a killer deal on a 11/12.

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Went from a 2009 GT500 to a 2012 GT500 with the SVTPP. The difference in cars is amazing when it comes down to handling and the over all quality of the interior is much nicer in the 2012. Can't complain too much about the 2009 though because it was a GREAT car too. You just gotta get out there and drive both and see what you like better. There is a huge difference, but also a huge price difference between a used and new one. Its all up to what you end up liking and how much $$$ you want to spend.

svtsupersnake

Banned
i am either going to get a 2012 shelby or a 2013 if i can get a good deal on an 2013 i perfer 2013 but either way the only mods i will do to the 13 would be intake pulley tune and to the 12 intake pulley tune wit maybe a new tb depending how fast it feels wit just intake pulley tune. What tires would i have to upgrade to? I was going to get forgiato rims to put wit the car. I thought maybe the stock tires r fine but i need something that gives the most traction cuz of snow/rain and such

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I think you turned away the grunt of the crowd once you mentioned snow/rain and gt500 in the same sentence. I'm sure not too many would have much info on snow tires for these cars.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Plain and simple. Buy a beater for the winter. My 2005 awd ford 500 is a beast with a set of snows. If you can afford a new GT500 you can drop $5-6k on a similar car.

whiplash920

Established Member
i didnt see many upper and lower control arms for the shelbys on lethal performance plus i am not going to do lowering springs cuz i lowered my 04 and it became the most bumpy whiplash car ever even with tokico d specs on it so i refuse to lower a car ever again because of that

you will have wheel hop without at least changing the uca. roush makes a good one, but i went with bmr b/c i also got their adjustable lca's. i understand about the springs, but without better uca, you will hop - no one ever talks about how bad these cars will hop. good call on the tokico d specs - one on my next mods for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread