some preliminary info

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
guys, its not a turbo. Its also not a new car.

the car has been gone since september of last year, so this was really a last ditch effort to improve driveability for the sale. I sort of planned this as my last set of changes, so its been planned for. Its also not that expensive. However, I figured I might as well keep it if the driveability was a good as it appears to be.

lets just say that the new ford maf's are good for some things, and huge power isn't one of them.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i guess that depends on your definition of plenty. 500rwhp? sure. 550rwhp, probably.

Above that, I'll let you try it and find out.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
quadcammer said:
i guess that depends on your definition of plenty. 500rwhp? sure. 550rwhp, probably.

Above that, I'll let you try it and find out.

I'm putting a GT MAF sensor and MAFia on my turbo conversion this week. I nearly pegged out a BA2400 in draw-through with an itty bitty used GT40 turbo.

And I left the nitrous system intact with the nozzle installed between the MAF sensor and the throttle body.

But Oli's is probably stronger......

Joe

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
Joe, like we spoke of earlier, 6.4ish is the max voltage of the meter, if you can make your power under that without pinning it internally you will be golden. Id say a 4" pipe is a must. In a 3"od pipe we are hitting the maf internal voltage cap of 6.4ish by 5000. anything higher on a mafia setting of 4 does nothing. Setting 4 is your 6.5v=5.0v. Good luck Joe, and let me know how things come out so we can compile our data. I have a saddle coming from Justin @ VMP for the Lightning/BA/Cobra style meter and will be flow testing them with Mike @ LM in different size pipe to see what there limits are also. PMAS also has a cyclone "lab grade" meter on its way out to me to test also.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Quad: Just a thought but why dont you get a GT500 (or Ford GT) MAF element and plug it in to your current housing. That would allow you all the head room you would need.

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
Quad: Just a thought but why dont you get a GT500 (or Ford GT) MAF element and plug it in to your current housing. That would allow you all the head room you would need.

Thats what is in it. A gt500/supercar maf only has 5% more head room, plus like i said it has a 6.5 voltage cap, which really limits its range with a mafia.

sahlberg

Established Member
sorry to sound stupid...well, i just read the whole forum but i could barely understand what it all meant because i dont know what a MAF is....can someone please explain it and maybe i'll understand what you guys are talking about...
thanks

UCBeau

sahlberg said:
sorry to sound stupid...well, i just read the whole forum but i could barely understand what it all meant because i dont know what a MAF is....can someone please explain it and maybe i'll understand what you guys are talking about...
thanks
try doing a search for something like MAF Basics, you will find some threads that explain what the MAF does.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
9blackcobra9 said:
mass air flow sensor......
Yep. The simple defininition is the MAF is a device that essentially measures the mass of the air flowing through the intake and reports back to the ECM so it will know how much fuel to command at the injectors.

In high hp fi cars it's possible to flow so much air that you "peg" the MAF so that it becomes ineffective above a certain rpm. Personally I've always wondered how all those high hp cars you see in the mags get around this problem? There must be a common solution 'cause you see plenty 800+ hp cars in these rags but they never do a tech/how to article on how to defeat this issue? :shrug:

Angus

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
I thought you were done pouring time, effort & money into Mustangs?

Do you actually believe that will EVER happen? ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread