Some pictures of the C5 Galaxy that crashed last week... (56k dont try)

JohnMGD

Established Member
I live in Camden (wich is basically Dover, DE) and the plane had crashed 2-3 miles from my house. They closed down all the roads around it but opened them up yesterday. My friend and I went out there with his dads Nikon D70 and 300mm telephoto lens and I snapped some pictures of it. The plane managed to crash on the field at the end of the runway so its technically still on Air Force base property. The fence you'll see in the picture is the perimeter fence around the base. The fuselage itself is pretty intact with the tail close to 250-300 yards away. It's pretty nuts to be able to see it all this close.

There were state troppers along the roads making sure no one stopped to take pictures. The pictures are blurry because I had to take them from 60mph in a 92 toyota camry.

dsc00432qc.jpg

dsc00514fh.jpg

dsc00586jr.jpg

dsc00606zu.jpg

dsc00684jy.jpg

dsc00962tl.jpg

dsc01054ix.jpg

muhtalicbloo

Established Member
nice pics.....i heard about this....i believe all 17 crewmembers survived too didn't they?.....that thing is frickin huge!!! i think it stands 6 stories high at the cargo bay!!!

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
That must be a sight to see in person, I would be in awe of an aircraft of that size.

JohnMGD

Established Member
Yeah its pretty big. Its insane just how big it is in person and the pictures dont do it justice.

All 17 people on board survived. Everyone that was on the plane is out of the hospital except for the pilot who suffered a broken back with severe nerve damage. No word yet on why it crashed.

2003 Silver

Banned
One of my favorite parts of our yearly trip to Rehobeth Beach in July is driving by the base and hoping to see one of those puppies in the sky doing touch and goes....I'm usually never disappointed! They are SO big they look like they just sit in the sky and barely move. Last yr. one was landing and flew right over us.....holy hell was that loud!!! :rockon:

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
I got to ride up in the VIP area of one of those when I was in the USAF. It's ahead of the wings in the front, connected to the crew area and cockpit. The normal passenger compartment is farther back behind the wings. Those picks don't really show the scale, the C5 is huge!

Blown318

2FAST4U Racing
Established Member
damn, thats a big ass plane!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

How big is it commpared to a commercial airliner?? like a 747 or sumthing???

JohnMGD

Established Member
Blown318 said:
damn, thats a big ass plane!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

How big is it commpared to a commercial airliner?? like a 747 or sumthing???

Think of it this way, I saw on the discovery channel a few days ago it can hold 27,000,000 ping pong balls.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
HOLY HUGE MOTHER#$%^!!! I've seen only two or three of those over here... but flying. Monster plane, wonder how it even takes off lol

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
I work hydraulics on C-5's here in Dover. Lets just say one C-5 can hold 6 Greyhound buses and then take off.

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
JohnMGD said:
Yeah its pretty big. Its insane just how big it is in person and the pictures dont do it justice.

All 17 people on board survived. Everyone that was on the plane is out of the hospital except for the pilot who suffered a broken back with severe nerve damage. No word yet on why it crashed.

It is a shame you couldnt get some shots of it with people next to it, while it looks big there is nothing to reference its size against.

Awesome sight though, I am glad everyone was ok.

bchisom99

Established Member
JohnMGD said:
There were state troppers along the roads making sure no one stopped to take pictures. The pictures are blurry because I had to take them from 60mph in a 92 toyota camry.

BLURRY!!! Those pictures are great, and that is a big bitch!

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
Also for another size reference, those engine inlets have about a 8 foot diameter. If you stood inside of one, you couldnt touch the top.
I have a slideshow that was sent to my work email with some 40+ slides. There are all sorts of pictures in there that actually show the shear size of this plane. If your interested, send me a PM with your email. Unless someone can explain to me how to post a slideshow on here. :shrug:

No, I just got here in Janurary

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread