Some pics from my IRS to solid swap

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Well, I'm right in the middle of it now. I am swapping with a local guy who has a 97 Cobra. So far, I have pulled out my IRS and we should swap parts this Sunday. Then, my brother and I will be putting the solid in during the evenings next week.

Enjoy the pics so far...
swaprear1.jpg

swaprear2.jpg

swapwheelwell.jpg

There's a whole lot of nuthin under my car where my exhaust, driveshaft, and rear suspension should be...
swaptunnel.jpg

I get a little paranoid being under my car, so I go a little overboard with 4 jackstands and a couple sets of cinderblocks...LOL
swapside.jpg

01cobrasouth

01cobrasouth
Established Member
An old friend of mine was under a 90 lx all he had was a scissor jack holding it up he bumped it with his knee and the car came down on top of him.Luckily the jack had twisted and fell on its side, he got half of his ear cut off but got it sewn back on. You never can be too careful when it comes to safety when you are working under a car.By the way good luck from what I've heard you'll love the solid axle no more wheelhop.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
01cobrasouth said:
An old friend of mine was under a 90 lx all he had was a scissor jack holding it up he bumped it with his knee and the car came down on top of him.Luckily the jack had twisted and fell on its side, he got half of his ear cut off but got it sewn back on. You never can be too careful when it comes to safety when you are working under a car.By the way good luck from what I've heard you'll love the solid axle no more wheelhop.

OUCH! I definitely like having redundant support systems when I am under a car. I guess I just don't trust any one piece of equipment with my life. Besides, how would I enjoy smoothly spinning rear tires with no annoying wheel hop if I am squished below a 3500 pound car... :bash:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Sounds like funbut man clean those fenderwells while your down there.
ahit man, just paint them black and they won't be that bad. That IRS doesn't doesn't look near as complex in the car(ie: gear change)

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
99cobrablack said:
ahit man, just paint them black and they won't be that bad. That IRS doesn't doesn't look near as complex in the car(ie: gear change)
I mean the painted part on the outside, where the quarter panel kind of rolls in the fender well.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
I mean the painted part on the outside, where the quarter panel kind of rolls in the fender well.

Yeah, last time I washed my car it was like 45*. So, I didn't exactly take my time with it. It does look 10x worse in the pics with the ass end way up in the air without the wheels. Once this is all done, my car will definitely need a good and thorough cleaning...

But I think I'll be a little more preoccupied enjoying spinning my tires with my new 4.10 gears and enjoying the complete absence of wheel hop! WooHoo!! :burnout:

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
99cobrablack said:

You should see the IRS as you start to drop it out. It's more like "holy cr@p, that thing is HUGE!" The weight of it is really putting my creeper to the ultimate test!

01trublue cobra

Established Member
I swapped out my IRS with a 97 Cobra too. The hardest part was the brakes on the 97 Cobra, you will have no problem at all. Your car will also be losing 100Lbs too. After the install the car felt awesome. It goes straight with no wheelhop, but I also installed bilstien shocks and aftermarket lower and upper control arms.

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
01trublue cobra said:
I swapped out my IRS with a 97 Cobra too. The hardest part was the brakes on the 97 Cobra, you will have no problem at all. Your car will also be losing 100Lbs too. After the install the car felt awesome. It goes straight with no wheelhop, but I also installed bilstien shocks and aftermarket lower and upper control arms.

I bought some MM lower control arms that are going in with the solid axle. Eventually I want to upgrade the springs and struts and maybe put in a panhard bar, but that's a ways away in the future...

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Woohoo!!!

Today my brother and I finished up everything except for my catback (the exhaust hangers I ordered from my local Ford dealer haven't come in yet). We are swapping the gears in his car this weekend so we had move mine out of the garage.

Well, if you have to move it you might as well take it for a test drive... :rockon: It was a little loud :eek: with just an off-road X-pipe. But, my response for going from an IRS with 3.27s to a solid axle with 4.10s, and MM lower control arms...

WooHoooo!!!

Unbelievable difference! I can be driving along in second, floor it, and there is a nice SMOOTH transition from grip to :burnout: . Another great thing is that the strips that I left on the street from a roll are nice and solid, no more "dashed" strips with gaps.

No more wheelhop!!!! And the difference in the torque to the wheels from the gears... holy crap!!

:banana: I am one happy camper.:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread