Some interesting undercar shots from the Historics

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Kevin Laird at Corner-Carvers took a few shots that offer up a bit more detail.

Note the mass dampers added to the exhaust system as well as one underneath and at the rear of the transmission...

Photo%20Aug%2015%201%2024%2021%20PM%20smallzz.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2015%201%2024%2021%20PM%20Trand%20and%20dampers.jpg

And at the rear...

Photo%20Aug%2015%201%2024%2034%20PM%20small.jpg

Looks like you could use a '13/'14 Track Pack axle cover on an S197, a small heat exchanger, and possibly add this pump for a track ready setup.

Photo%20Aug%2015%201%2024%2034%20PM%20crop.jpg

I'm looking forward to some shots of the front of the driveshaft as well as the shifter to see Ford's latest rendition there.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Looks like a nice exhaust without much of a bottle neck, the cats and the small section coming out of the cat is all that's really hindering flow. Add some headers and off road connection pipes and I think it'll sounds like hell breaking loose :coolman:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I'll be at the Track Tour event on Aug 28th and will get more photos of the drive shaft.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
you'd think for a track oriented car they'd have some better jacking points.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Rick and Doug for getting me some shots of the front of the driveshaft/shifter area. To date, I haven't seen that area documented anywhere.

To begin with, here's a shot (thanks to Kelly at BMR) of the driveshaft/fixed flange interface on a 2015 Mustang GT. Ford started using a rubber Guibo joint sandwiched in between the fixed flange on the transmission output shaft and the flange at the front of the driveshaft. The joint is used to quell NVH and may reduce some driveline shock as well.

z_2015%20Mustang%20GT%20guibo_1.jpg

And here's the same area on the GT350. Note that Ford is not using a Guibo joint. The two flanges are directly bolted together as on the S197 cars.

zIMG_3104%20small-Edit.jpg

Here's a shot of linkage portion of an early development GT350 shifter. Hard to tell if it is a mandrel bent tube assembly, welded onto a couple of different swivel fittings.

z_MG_3165%20shifter%20enhanced%20small-Edit.jpg

Compare that to a crop/enhanced view of one of the shots Rick sent me of a recent version, captured at the Historics. Definitely looks like a casting (ie, cast steel) that was welded at the joint at the left...

zIMG_3103%20small%20shifter%20enhanced-Edit.jpg

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I forgot to mention to Tob that the photos from the car at the historics are from the original liquid blue car used for the GT350R introduction. it's possible that it has older parts that aren't current with the production cars. I'm not sure if Ford updates their display cars to match production cars.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I forgot to mention to Tob that the photos from the car at the historics are from the original liquid blue car used for the GT350R introduction. it's possible that it has older parts that aren't current with the production cars. I'm not sure if Ford updates their display cars to match production cars.

Definitely a valid point.

I went back through every photo I have of the shifter from early development and found one that was a fairly close match in perspective to the photo you took of the shifter on the table. That one looks to be very close to production ready and may very well be the final version.

zGT350%20Shifter%20comparison%20small.jpg

I think it is fair to say that by interpolating betwen the two photos you can see what the engineers wanted:

- The body looks to be an aluminum casting. The contour looks to be consistent with some minor changes at the rear mount area (nubs cast onto the end of the pins on the latest version, etc).

- Ford looks to have toyed with slightly different front bushings. Almost looks like a Delrin "type" of material, and I assume of fairly hard or stiff durometer. Disregard the rear mount orientation on the early shifter as I believe someone slipped it on for photo purposes without realizing or caring that it was upside down. Production mount should be orientated as in the shifter at the top.

- The swivel, mid-linkage on the early development shifter, looks to have been able to rotate on two axes whereas the late can only rotate on one axis. If you look closely at that location on the early shifter you can see that someone welded the arm to the swivel such that it eliminated one axis.

Users who are viewing this thread