Some deep thought on forced induction.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
This is totally a philisophical discussion. No flames. No polls. No debates. No he-said-she-said. I'm asking a totally legitimate question. Here's my story.
Vortech and ATI both have kits for 03 Cobras. MM&FF put the ATI on a Cobra and made 655rwhp which says to me that 700+rwhp is possible with the proper setup. My 03 Cobra is my second roots blown car so I understand the power delivery. I have a 2006 Duramax Silverado so now I understand turbo delivery(and love it!). But what does 700 centrifigal horsepower feel like? What's the dyno curve like? I was a bit miffed that MM&FF didn't print a graph and instead printed rpm vs power lists. I'm just curious as to how a ceintrifigal blower feels. Can you really go wrong? I know the rising rate power delivery will be less stressful on the engine than a whipple or eaton. I understand that I won't have 90000000 torque at 3000rpm due to the physics involved. Me, personally, I'm still aiming for 700-800rwhp but the cost of turbo setups just doesn't work for me. So, I continue to dream. But I haven't heard of any contrifigal blown 03's. So can you really go wrong? It'll still be plenty fast, right? It'll still roast tires on demand and pull like a freight train until either the road or tach runs out, right? I guess I'm so sketchy about the centri blowers because I have no experience with them and never ridden in a car powered by one. So, I ask for thoughts and opinions on this as I'm just looking for some thoughful conversation.:thumbsup:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
The centri's didn't get a fair shake on our cars IMHO. The Procharger was riddled with problems to begin with. They would throw belts among other things. But, I think those problems are solved now.

The will start to build boost about 3 grand depending on how much boost you are running. The more boost, the earlier in the power band it will start pulling.

I have 2 centrifugals cars personally and have built many others. If they are setup properly, you dont miss the 500 ft lbs at 3000 rpms, at least I dont. They are still plenty fast, and pull like a freight train up top, without a doubt. I know some people like the instant gratification of the screw or roots setup, but I like the centris equally as well. Just takes a little practice on learning how to drice the car, that's all.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
If you can deal with the softer low end, skip the headache and wasted money and time of a centrifugal kit and put on a turbo kit. All things considered, the turbo kit will be about the same price in the long run to get 700-800 WHP, It will be easier on the motor, and still have more potential than any type of supercharger.

Last edited:

Bullitt4110

Established Member
Like LargeOrangeFont said by the time you get everything need to put a centri kit on you will be around the same price as a turbo. I had a Vortech on my Bullitt when I had it and it was fun, but snice my cars are for the street mainly it doesnt even compare to the instat power of the roots type.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Yea, I did notice the prices kinda getting close, but I was figuring just the kit prices. Clutch and fuel upgrades are the same across the board so I wasn't really counting them in. I was mainly looking at the some $2000 lower price for the centri kits.
And I do somewhat agree that if I'm really hell bent on that kind of power, I need to step up and do it right. It's just that the turbos are complicated(from an install pov) compared to a blower install. I'm just a bit scatterbrained right now. I can't hook up my 450 or so rwhp let alone wanting to ADD another 300. Go figure. And as for the "soft low end", I can deal with that. My Duramax doesn't come on the turbo until about 2000rpms and I work with it. But when it does, watch out! And I know that a little tuning and careful parts selection can help tune some of that out on the Cobra.
The real core of "ultimate project" is to max out pump gas power. I live on the Right coast so 93 octane is plentiful. My only caveat is having to be emissions friendly. I was under the assumption that the centri would be easier to tune therefore have a better chance at legality. But I'm also aware that an "ultimate project" might not be welcome everywhere if you know what I mean.
Eh, it's only money. And when I find enough, I'll get started. I'll be putting up a few posts to sort out some info I need but thanks for understanding my original post. You guys really came through.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Randee of the Redwoods said:
Yea, I did notice the prices kinda getting close, but I was figuring just the kit prices. Clutch and fuel upgrades are the same across the board so I wasn't really counting them in. I was mainly looking at the some $2000 lower price for the centri kits.
And I do somewhat agree that if I'm really hell bent on that kind of power, I need to step up and do it right. It's just that the turbos are complicated(from an install pov) compared to a blower install. I'm just a bit scatterbrained right now. I can't hook up my 450 or so rwhp let alone wanting to ADD another 300. Go figure. And as for the "soft low end", I can deal with that. My Duramax doesn't come on the turbo until about 2000rpms and I work with it. But when it does, watch out! And I know that a little tuning and careful parts selection can help tune some of that out on the Cobra.
The real core of "ultimate project" is to max out pump gas power. I live on the Right coast so 93 octane is plentiful. My only caveat is having to be emissions friendly. I was under the assumption that the centri would be easier to tune therefore have a better chance at legality. But I'm also aware that an "ultimate project" might not be welcome everywhere if you know what I mean.
Eh, it's only money. And when I find enough, I'll get started. I'll be putting up a few posts to sort out some info I need but thanks for understanding my original post. You guys really came through.

From an install perspective, a turbo kit is going to be slightly more work, and just about as complicated. With both centri, and a turbo you are really completely tearing down the intake side of the motor. Obviously with the turbo you are messing with exhaust too, but if you are going for 700-800 HP you will be installing headers with any setup you go with.

You will definately be able to attain more HP on pump gas with a turbo setup, and it is not any more complicated to tune.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Just for something to compare to, my buddy has a 03 Cobra with the ONLY mod being a Vortech T trim with the aftercooler. At only 13psi it made 500RWHP and 450ft lbs, this was on a Dynapack chassis dyno with a safe tune.
Mark

SVTboy

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
If you can deal with the softer low end, skip the headache and wasted money and time of a centrifugal kit and put on a turbo kit. All things considered, the turbo kit will be about the same price in the long run to get 700-800 WHP, It will be easier on the motor, and still have more potential than any type of supercharger.

+1... If your able to save a few extra bucks go with the turbo...

Users who are viewing this thread