Some advice for my 2012 Boss302S

JoeJ

Established Member
I have a 2012 Boss302S which I do open track events. I have recently installed a Cobra Jet Intake Manifold, Cobra Jet Dual Throttle Body, and cold air intake. I also installed Stage 3 Comp cams and now have approx. 495 HP at the rear wheels. I also have long tube headers, and Cortex watts link on the car.

It really handles great. However today at TWS, I started having a momentary alarm on my AIMS device. The second light down on the left side showed solid red. This happened at the end of the long straight at TWS and remained red until I down shifted going thru turn 2. I was at approx. 7000 rpm in fourth gear when it turned red and only started after several laps with the engine really hot. I was wondering if I have the proper size fuel injectors on the car. I think the stock Boss302S comes with 39 lb injectors. Some calculations show I should use at least 42 lb injectors. (Not sure about this).

I was also wondering if the stock fuel pump will stay up with the fuel demand needed for the extra HP that I am pulling.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above.

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I have been suggested the 47lb injectors for 550rwhp on stock pump. maybe try them, other than that i have no info for ya sorry.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Imo the injector should help... you are better off running rich than to lean when road racing. If you didnt do injectors it might run good on the dyno a/f wise.. but after a few laps of pushing it, the leaner ratio might cause excess heat. The best a/f ratio for power isnt alwaysxthe safest for extreme duty like road racing. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Established Member
I would pick up the Ford Extreme Duty Radiator and upgraded fan.

You're probably very close to the limits on the injectors -- Ford includes 47lb injectors for their 524 (flywheel) HP kit.

What fuel are you running at the track?

Last edited:

JoeJ

Established Member
I just received a set of Ford 47 lb injectors and will get them installed prior to going on track again. I am running 104 unleaded, but I am thinking about going up to 110 unleaded as it is the same price at TWS. If I continue to have problems I will think about upgrading my radiator. Thanks for your comments guys.

guarnibl

Established Member
retracted.

After doing some more research I think you might actually already have the extreme duty radiator on that thing. It claims its a service replacement part for the Boss 302S and FR500 race cars. So perhaps the Tiger Racing hood would be the best bet if that's the case, assuming injectors don't solve the problem.

Last edited:

JoeJ

Established Member
Yes, my 2012 Boss302S has a tiger racing hood. I am also thinking about changing out the fuel pump and fuel filter when I install the 47 lb injectors. Just to make sure I have the proper fuel delivery. A quick question. The car has a compression of 11 to 1. Should I run more than 98 octane in the car while on the track. I have heard that you can loss HP by running race fuel with too high of an
octane.

67bigblock

Established Member
You should speak to the people that did your mods regarding that.
You car makes a crazy amount of power and was likely tuned on a certain octane.
Who did the work?

JoeJ

Established Member
Just a quick update on my 2012 Boss302S. After installing the 47 lb injectors and VMP tune, I got the following dyno results: 527 HP and 376 torque at the rear wheels. The fuel/air ration seemed to be good throughout the rpm range

darreng505

Established Member
Yes, my 2012 Boss302S has a tiger racing hood. I am also thinking about changing out the fuel pump and fuel filter when I install the 47 lb injectors. Just to make sure I have the proper fuel delivery. A quick question. The car has a compression of 11 to 1. Should I run more than 98 octane in the car while on the track. I have heard that you can loss HP by running race fuel with too high of an
octane.

I've never heard of too high of octane. :) But where did you hear you can lose HP? It's all in the tune with these motors. The fuel map is key.

JoeJ

Established Member
I am not sure about running too high an octane. Some of my friends say that with only 11.1 compression it is harder to get a good burn with octane higher than 98. I would be interested in finding out what Ford Racing has to say on the subject. I have had no problem running 104 no leaded race fuel. It is the same price at TWS as the 98. As a matter of fact 98, 104, and 110 is all the same $10 per gallon.

darreng505

Established Member
What about leaded race fuel? Good? No good? I'll ask around on this subject some because I was going to do a 112 tune and haul my own fuel.

darreng505

Established Member
Found this, from here http://www.racegas.com/article/10

You might also be surprised to know that fast burning fuels may not need as much timing as their slower burning counterparts. Many times we get calls from individuals who are dialing in new motors on a fast burning fuel but they’re using timing and jetting numbers from their old motor and fuel combo. “Retard the timing a couple degrees and see what happens” is not the suggestion they expect to hear! With high octane, fast burning fuels, it is easy to dial in too much timing. In such cases, the engine is not detonating, but it is past the point of optimum spark advance, so it’s just heating things up and making less power. A little less timing may really wake up the motor.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Did you end up changing the fuel pump as well or just do the injectors? I'm wondering if I might want to do this on my non-CJ B302 just to keep it safe at 7500+

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Just a quick update on my 2012 Boss302S. After installing the 47 lb injectors and VMP tune, I got the following dyno results: 527 HP and 376 torque at the rear wheels. The fuel/air ration seemed to be good throughout the rpm range

Was the 527rwhp at 7500rpms on the dyno? What fuel were u using to achieve those latest figures?

Users who are viewing this thread