Solved problem: electrical/trans/computer

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Car: 2000 Mustang GT 2v car with 4r70w
Problem: Last year while throttling something happened. car put its' self into limp in mode-wont leave 2nd gear, over drive light flashed which turns into check engine light.
codes: 2 transmission range sensor codes
Attempts to fix:
1) cleared codes. they came back.

2) changed transmission range sensor. didn't resolve the codes.

3) got diagnostic done on computer. ford dealership #1, said the ecu was good to go. they also said the wiring to/from trans was intact. "it's likely the transmission."

4) i go get transmission flushed and new fluid. (this was after i had changed the fluid myself less than 2 months earlier) but i thought it was worth a try. did not resolve problem.

5) brought car to transmission shop. had entire trans rebuilt with $3500+ worth of upgrade mods and torque converter plus labor. did not resolve problem. on their own dime, the trans shop even sent car to ford dealership #2 who also confirmed it couldn't be the computer. the trans shop is so sure it has to be something computer/electronic related that they even sent the car to a local car electric shop to test all the wiring. again, the wiring is GOOD. the trans is GOOD (when they manually shift the trans with their diagnostic equipment.) it must be the the computer, this is suggested once AGAIN.

5) upon suggestion of trans shop, brought car to another ford dealership #3. the expensive as shit one that does all the performance shit around here. they take just a day to tell me it has to be the computer. regardless of what the first 2 dealership said. a few days later it gets a new computer and it runs great again.

6) dealership #2 had erased my computer back to stock unbeknownst to me until i picked it up from trans shop part way through this adventure. the computer is now unmarried from my Xcal 2 hand tuner.
i send the hand tuner and receipt for my new computer. they umarry it from old computer for half price. $75 (just an FYI to anyone in that situation) i took the car for a conservative spin before it went to the tuner and it shifted as it should and real firm and pulls much stronger, nothing wrong from the drivers seat, no codes nothing.

7) now car is sitting at tuners awaiting unmarried hand tuner device so it can be tuned again. tuner says regardless of its mods ( the aftermarket supercharger, huge injectors, p-51 intake manifold and svt focus pump and exhaust and more) - its running just fine and pretty safely with the new stock oem computer that dealership put in, even without a tune.

as it sits- its running on the rich side, shifts very nicely and NO codes. now its just getting it tuned adjusting the timing and air/fuel to get the most out of it again.

Users who are viewing this thread