Solid road rage incident. Who would have been at fault?

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
You're both at fault for driving like that, be the bigger person in situations like that.

Technically speaking you could be written for "failure to dim lights" for driving behind the guy with your brights on...

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Sorry dude, but violating the laws of the road and "cutting you off" are two different things. As described, the other driver's actions were probably unlawful, but he didnt cut you off. As pointed out, he was driving faster than you and had two car lengths in front of you. That is not being cut off and that is not endangering you.

And yes, we are happy you dont live in Tampa.:shrug:

+1,

If he had adequate distance (which he obviously did since contact didn't take place) then why even bother worrying about what if?

Oh and Tampa is glad you don't live here too, we have enough people that try to make a federal case if you change lanes without seeing them in your blind spot. It happens, especially in big vehicles. Now be a grown up about it and let it go.

svt4cobra6

I have run into drivers like this a few times, although it might be hard to do in the long run it is always better to just ignore the guy and get away from him, which usually means passing when safe to.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Lifes too short..Let it go. You probably have made mistakes while driving as well. I'd rather get home safely to play with my kids and the box they came in.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Lifes too short..Let it go. You probably have made mistakes while driving as well. I'd rather get home safely to play with my kids and the box they came in.

+1 I spent way too much of my young adult life (16 to 23ish) worrying about this crap. I would blow up in a rage if I had even the slightest impression that someone cut me off or did something else stupid. I would chase people, get on their ass, honk, try and run them off the road, etc. I was lucky and never got shot or got caught by a LEO acting this way. At some point, around age 24, I really started to look at this differently. I started realizing it's not worth my life and certainly not worth spending my life in jail after having ran someone off the road and killing them.

I just let these things go now. I don't honk, flip off or flash my lights any more. The situation doesn't even have a chance to escalate. If figure someone else will be enraged and take care of him for me...

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Boy ain't that the truth. But it does get easier over time. The problem with anger in general is that it's an instinctive reaction. It's very hard to train your brain to think first before instinctively acting. I think LEOs must go through some sort of training for this since they seem to keep their cool in very intensive situations.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
if he had his mirrors setup correctly, about 2 car leingths is all that it requires too pull over in front of someone safely.. (for me, as soon as the car I'm passing enters my windshield rear view mirror, I know it's safe too pull back over in front of them) does he use this method, who knows.. but anyhow, maybe it was his fault for pulling over in front of you, but you escalated back by not just flashing your lights on bright but keeping them on.. bla bla bla.. your both at fault..

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Keeping your brights on behind the guy for a mile was excessive. Flip them on for a few seconds to let him know you didn't like his maneuver, then shut them off and let him go about his way.

About the only time I use my brights is to encourage slower drivers out of the left lane (this happens a lot where I live), and that's just several quick flicks of the stalk, not a prolonged exposure to brights. I've been brighted a few times by people I've passed, and just shrug it off and keep going. I'm usually going 5-10mph faster than they are so I'm out of range of their lights pretty quickly.

Last edited:

SVTCobra53

Established Member
You should think twice next time.

I never retaliate in road rage...as you have to think, what if that nut has a gun and is ready to use it.

It is not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread