Solid rear wasnt so solid.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
On June 26th my cobra had another mishap at the track. Traction has been a problem for it. The run before the break it went 10.44 at 142 with a 1.88 60'. Then when i tried to launch the fourth run it made an unhappy bang and then some grinding.

It was 79-98 width housing, welded tubes, FMS 4.10s, 33 spline pro race axles, 33 spline strange spool. The housing bent in and down putting the carrier bearings in a vice which took out the ring and pinion.

Housing was bent inward and down 2"
100_3168.jpg

100_3172.jpg

Bent all 10 wheel studs
100_3217.jpg

100_3213.jpg

Twisted the axles
100_3214.jpg

100_3215.jpg

I didnt get pics of the carrier bearings, it left indents in the races when it locked up

Ring and pinion didnt make it.
100_3171.jpg

100_3210.jpg

100_3211.jpg

100_3207.jpg

Bent the bolts and aluminum spacers
100_3212.jpg

100_3206.jpg

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
Thurs night was the first chance i got to work on fixing it. I straightened the housing and am adding a little more support.

100_3204.jpg

100_3203.jpg

100_3202.jpg

100_3198.jpg

100_3199.jpg

100_3197.jpg

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Geez Edison......Quite the carnage. But 142 MPH in the quarter??? That's got WELL into the 9's written all over it. Get that suspension working and that car will be a monster.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
Im hoping to go nines with the six speed. Im waiting to put the 5.4 DOHC in it with a powerglide until break through still having AC, full interior, and cruise control

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Edison ... wow dude! So with having the axle tubes welded were you able to get it back straight again? That rear I bought this past winter was bent rearward with the ends of the axle tubes pushed forward. that rear has similar bracing on it, but not as robust. Maybe I feel froggy this winter I will pull mine out and let you do a little bit of that on mine. Get some weight right where I need it!

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
Edison ... wow dude! So with having the axle tubes welded were you able to get it back straight again? That rear I bought this past winter was bent rearward with the ends of the axle tubes pushed forward. that rear has similar bracing on it, but not as robust. Maybe I feel froggy this winter I will pull mine out and let you do a little bit of that on mine. Get some weight right where I need it!

In the one pic you can see the jig bar in the rear. Before shrinking the tubes it was so bent it wouldnt even go through it was so bent. I have one more brace too put on it ill post when i get it made.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I've been there. That sucks. I also welded my tubes, ran the swarr type bar along the bottom, and added braces from the pinion flange back to the tubes. Mine had bent downward on the drivers side. Guess it was trying to tell me I was a fatty!

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
the bracing loosk good. id also run bars from aroudn the pinion flange area out to the shock mounts

I did the opposite, i put braces on the rear accross the diff cover. That way i can put preload on it.

I've been there. That sucks. I also welded my tubes, ran the swarr type bar along the bottom, and added braces from the pinion flange back to the tubes. Mine had bent downward on the drivers side. Guess it was trying to tell me I was a fatty!

Mine bent more on the driver side too. It bent inward and down. I had to hammer my driveshaft yoke off the tailshaft and it had 3/4 slide too it.

Users who are viewing this thread