Solid Rear Swap Question

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
I was searchin this topic and didnt realy find solid info on it. My question is what is the trade value of the IRS. For example if I found someone to trade with what should I ask for or is it an even trade? Or should they pay install price or what? Im looking to do this swap cuz I like taking my car to the track and the wheelhop is killing me. Plus I dont drive on to many windy roads.

Also if I foud a doner car will we have all the needed parts to swap over? I hear different things about the driveshafts. Will I need his or can I keep mine or what?

Any help would be great. Thx.

Wheelhop = :mj: :cuss: :fm:

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
so if i found someone to trade rear ends with should i ask or some cash also or should i call it even? also will i have all the parts i need form the GT/Mach1 and also will the person im trading with have all the parts he needs from me?

im not looking to buy a solid rear end. just trade someone

thx for the reply

Last edited:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
depends on how bad you want a sre. i had maximum coilover with my irs, magnaflow catback and still traded mine straight up with an '03 gt. i personally think the irs is garbage. ford should have designed the car aroung the irs, not vice versa.
just a note: if you ever change your mind and enjoy windy roads more than dragracing (i love both) you can always upgrade your sre for both. my solid rear end has the griggs 3 link setup with panhard bar and torque arm and my car will run circles around the irs suspension all day long.
make sure you read postbans description on rearend swap! i used it my exchange and it was absolutely invaluable.
Did i ever say thanks postban? if not, cheers to you!

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
one more thing... i shouldn't say the irs is garbage. it just isn't the best when it comes down to extreme applications with high horsepower. sorry if anyone gets pissed at me.

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
ok thats what i wanted to know
thx

what about parts? other then parts to strengthen the SR like diff. cover. will i need to buy anything extra (i.e. brackets and such)

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
there isn't anything you'll need to buy for the swap. you'll need to make sure you have a puller though so you can switch yokes on the driveshalfs (you keep your driveshaft, but use his yoke). you can buy or even rent one from your local auto store (cost like $35). you'll have to swap emergency brake cables, catbacks, springs and shocks (maybe a couple other little things i can't remember right now). overall it is a very easy swap, it was just time consuming for me and the guy i swaped with because we didn't have air tools at the time.
one other piece of advice... get some torque box reinforcements and install while doing the swap while your control arms are off. not absolutely necessary, but in time, you WILL tear the crap out of your torque boxes! I did and had to pay to have them welded up... installing my set of torque box reinforcements before spring. Ebay has them for cheap and a great price... i paid $60 shipped. don't have the link, so you'll just have to search. another company makes a set called the battle boxes if you look for them in magazines or do a yahoo search.
good luck with the swap. :D

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
niels04cobra said:
...snip..... get some torque box reinforcements and install while doing the swap while your control arms are off. not absolutely necessary, but in time, you WILL tear the crap out of your torque boxes! I did and had to pay to have them welded up... installing my set of torque box reinforcements before spring. Ebay has them for cheap and a great price... i paid $60 shipped. don't have the link, ...snip...

http://www.umiperformance.com/stangcar.htm

$40 for lowers
$80 for uppers or $120 a set. you will need BOTH if you go live axle.

tell them postban sent you (not related to them in anyway other than very satisfied customer)

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
just a note on what postban said. you don't need upper reinforcements if you go with griggs 3 link suspension. the upper control arms are deleted.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
when i swapped to the 04 t56 i bought a 03/4 driveshaft also. i had to take the rear yoke off my driveshaft (different pinion flange). but because the u joints are bigger on the 03/4 driveshaft i had to get a special u joint, precision u joints part #448. you will probably have to do the same thing unless you swap pinion flanges also. summit carries the u joints if you do need them.

Users who are viewing this thread