Solid Rear Axle (SRA) noise, clunk, pop

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Sorry for the crazy title, but I wanted it to be search friendly in the future.

I did the SRA swap a few months ago and it went very well. Overall I am very pleased, minus the noise I am hearing.

The noise happens anytime I go over a bump (any bump, big or just variations in road surface), go hard on or off the gas, or make a hard turn. It is a pop/clunk noise and I have several ideas of what it may be but I figured some of you solid guys may be able to help.

I think it may be a result of using some 12mm install bolts in the 14mm holes and the control arms moving within the hole (aside from bushing play). I swapped the SRA out of a Mach 1 and at the same time we put the IRS into the Mach one. I have an 04 so I don't think I got the crap 12mm bolts from Ford, and my IRS wasn't making this noise.

Next Tuesday I am going to get the car up in the air and make sure everything is tight. I know it may also be the control arm bushings are worn, as the Mach 1 had 70k miles on it and so does the rear end.

Any other thoughts? I could get an in car recording, but it may be hard to hear given exhaust note and what not. Thanks SVTP.

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Had the same noise on mine also sra. Turned out the passenger side upper control arm was not tight enough.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Had the same noise on mine also sra. Turned out the passenger side upper control arm was not tight enough.

Than you sir, that is one thing we are doing this Tuesday night, making sure everything is tight. I will be sure to report back with any findings and the solution.

Teej281

Established Member
Even if you had the 14mm bolts from ford, you still would have needed another pair because you have 2 control arms wtih 2 bolt holes in each. I'd recommend getting 2 more sets just to be sure.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Even if you had the 14mm bolts from ford, you still would have needed another pair because you have 2 control arms wtih 2 bolt holes in each. I'd recommend getting 2 more sets just to be sure.

I am not buying any bolts until we get it up in the air and make sure everything is tight.

I think you are saying there are 2 sets of control arms (4 total, 2 upper, 2 lower) and that means 4 bolts/attachment points to the car (nevermind the points on the axle).

If everything is tight and it still clunks, then yes I will be ordering 4 brand new 14mm or 9/16" NAS bolts to replace them at the same time I do the new MM control arms.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
sounds like the rubber bushings on the rear end where upper control arms bolt to are worn out.. might as well replace them with poly bushings.. i have had the same problem with my SRA swap.. finally i put poly bushings in it, and problem solved.. i now have the MM panhard bar setup and it will make those bushings last alot longer.. turning corners is what wears them out..

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
sounds like the rubber bushings on the rear end where upper control arms bolt to are worn out.. might as well replace them with poly bushings.. i have had the same problem with my SRA swap.. finally i put poly bushings in it, and problem solved.. i now have the MM panhard bar setup and it will make those bushings last alot longer.. turning corners is what wears them out..

Yea I was avoiding buying bushing since I am going to buy LCAs soon anyway. If the upper bushings need replacing, I will do that.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member

UPDATE: This is exactly what was wrong. We took the wheels off the car, jacked it up, and put some air on the upper control arm (chassis side) bolts to tighten them down and it is as "solid" as can be now! See what I did there? :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread