Solid axle swap guys come in! Few questions!

twofast

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing solid axle swap in my 03 cobra and had a few questions. I got a rear end out of 2003 Mach 1. It has Moser 31 spline axles and factory 3.55 gears. I've decided I'd rather install the 03 cobra pinion flange on the solid axle...while in there I was thinking about stepping up to 3.73 gears. What do you guys think?

Also, do I need to install the quad shocks?

Do I need to install stock GT sway bar or just leave it off?

I have SR performance upper and lower control arms I'm going to install. Do I need to apply any grease to the bushings before installing them into the car? Is there a special grease?

Is an aftermarket diff cover a must?

What springs do you guys recommend for the rear? When I bought the rear end, the seller threw in a set of stock GT springs...can I cut maybe 3/4 coil out of them to get a little lower stance or just buy aftermarket springs? What do you recommend?

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I run 3.73 but it isn't much different than 3.55, unless you get it done real cheap isn't really worth it. You're going to want a rear sway bar. Quad shocks are not needed, i'd ditch those.

04cobra88

Established Member
If the rear is out I'd spend the 180 for a diff cover , depends on your power level really I'm doing the swap now too but I'm fully building mine for the track and putting 373s as this rear has 327 gears from a gt in it

Tons of guys do stock gt springs or 1 coil o 3/4 coil cut Dave at team z actually recommends that !

twofast

Established Member
Thanks guys! I may just save the money and keep the 3.55 gears.

Any difference in strength if I just keep the GT pinion flange that is already on there and use the Precision 448 u joint? If I can save the money buying and swapping out the pinion flange. I'll do it

ctgreddy

Established Member
I'd swap to the 3:73's and switch out the flange while you're there. If you're going to run a set of 28's then for sure change the gears. When I did mine I used the gt flange and hybrid ujoint but regret it now. I haven't had any issues doing it this way yet as it's holding strong so far. I'd consider different control arms if you didn't already by the sr's. Those are a very entry level set of arms and while better than stock stamped steel I'd suggest a set of upr's atleast.

No need for the quad shocks or sway bar. the stock sway bar only helps with handling but you wont notice anything with it on or off. When/if you get more track focused consider an aftermarket anti roll bar. And just cut rear springs to desired height.

Users who are viewing this thread