Solid Axle Swap 03 Cobra

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a convertible and the wheel hop is rediculous. A co-worker has a solid axle out of a 96 GT and I know it is a little shorter but could I not just get some wheel spacers to make up the difference? I really enjoy the ride of the IRS, but when I want to drive it hard from a stop and spin the tires I am always affraid of braking something.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I have a convertible and the wheel hop is rediculous. A co-worker has a solid axle out of a 96 GT and I know it is a little shorter but could I not just get some wheel spacers to make up the difference? I really enjoy the ride of the IRS, but when I want to drive it hard from a stop and spin the tires I am always affraid of braking something.
OK I change to SRA also on my03 cobra vert. Its built tuff 3.73's yes mine came out of a 97cobra yes it was shorter
Even with my 17x10.5 cobra reps then where in the fender to much. Just get some H&R 25mm. Wheel spacers yes they look great now.and will hold 640 rwhp at that time before with my old.motor go for it SRA drivers great don't worry about the naysayers. I got 50/50 lakewwod rear shock with Mega bite upper an lower arms with old eibach drag launch kit of my old fox body.got nitro.R'S bit still don't hook.

JDUB348

Established Member
I personally would hold out for a 99-04 GT, Bullit, Mach 1 etc SRA housing. Then put all brand new internals in it so you know everything is new and is exactly what YOU want.

Mines rocking FR 3.73's, detroit tru track, moser 31 spline axles, welded tubes, 3" wheel studs, FR diff cover, my cobra brakes, and solid crush sleeve.

178195_489367044428411_1363894873_o.jpg

53907_489368461094936_292273764_o.jpg

ctgreddy

Established Member
yes you can just use the 96 style but then you'll have to run spacers like stated and i dont like spacers idea. just me tho. here's a couple pics of mine for what it's worth.
5E3BED5A-52BF-494A-ADFE-985FE9C8B421-5187-0000051AF7D43BB0.jpg

8FB17648-BE01-44D7-B36C-F9E153099A86-2676-000002358C6A0F8B.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member

SRA cars hop to

In a convertible it seems a bit drastic to swap the IRS for an SRA to combat wheel hop. The IRS should provide better overall performance in a street car over a rear suspension more akin to an F-150. If this was my car I would be installing a full FTBR IRS bushing and perhaps upgrade the toe link bars. Now the car will corner even better, the loss of the spongy A-arm bushings for delrin should eliminate your wheel hop. What kind of sub-frames are installed on the car?

You wanna replace one of these with a stick axle in your Cobra? :dw:

CobraIRSonshopfloor4.jpg

SEDUCE

Established Member
Hey Crimson2v If you going to get rid of you old Cobra diff how mcuh would you be chasing for it?
I am chasing a Cobra or T-bird diff for my RX7 conversion.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I also have a 03 SB convertible and all convertibles should have as a first upgrade is full length sub-frame connectors installed with cross bracing to eliminate or reduce body flex cause our cars have no roof to help with rigidity.

I am getting this installed..... FT 1350M, FT 5001 and FT 1860 from Full Tilt Boogie Racing.

I also am getting full length sub-frame connectors installed with cross bracing and some H&R springs for a coupe installed.

Doing this will eliminate all or most wheel hop and keep the integrity of my Cobra by keeping the IRS.

Read the testimonials here about how wheel hop is gone.
FTBR TESTIMONIALS

Go here to see the informative videos.
FTBR Informational Videos

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I also have a 03 SB convertible and all convertibles should have as a first upgrade is full length sub-frame connectors installed with cross bracing to eliminate or reduce body flex cause our cars have no roof to help with rigidity.

I am getting this installed..... FT 1350M, FT 5001 and FT 1860 from Full Tilt Boogie Racing.

I also am getting full length sub-frame connectors installed with cross bracing and some H&R springs for a coupe installed.

Doing this will eliminate all or most wheel hop and keep the integrity of my Cobra by keeping the IRS.

Read the testimonials here about how wheel hop is gone.
FTBR TESTIMONIALS

Go here to see the informative videos.
FTBR Informational Videos

Are you doing the install yourself? I do have full length subframe connectors on my car. Can you update after you get the full tilt boogie kit installed? My hopes are to spin the tires without hop, without running drag radials. BTW my co-worker said I could have the 96 rearend for $150.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
FTBR is doing the work.

I wont get my car back till next year cause it snows here if you want to wait till April. Every update I have read is all good things, I have never hears a bad thing.

You can swap to SRA but you will still have to do a lot to get rid of wheel hop, dont think this is a fix all plus you will loose the handling you are used to if you go to SRA. All real modern high end cars use IRS because it works. My 2001 Corvette had it and it was awesome to drive.

Just search Full Tilt Boogie here if you don't believe the results or read the testimonials link i posted.

Are you doing the install yourself? I do have full length subframe connectors on my car. Can you update after you get the full tilt boogie kit installed? My hopes are to spin the tires without hop, without running drag radials. BTW my co-worker said I could have the 96 rearend for $150.

jojomofo21

Twin Screw Yourself
Established Member
I feel your pain. I have a 04 vert and my wheel hop was unbearable. I did the bushings and braces and toe links and it was still horrible! I wish I had just saved the money and did the solid swap first. I'm running a 96 rear now with everything 31 spline and 3.73 with steeda uppers and lowers. I am running 18" AFS replicas and the offset is is good enough I don't need a spacer. Oh I almost forgot, NO MORE WHEEL HOP EVER!

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Mines rocking FR 3.73's, detroit tru track, moser 31 spline axles, welded tubes, 3" wheel studs, FR diff cover, my cobra brakes, and solid crush sleeve.

sounds like a nice setup :rockon: that is exactly what i will want to do, but when i was looking, i had a little difficulty finding a housing.

I feel your pain. I have a 04 vert and my wheel hop was unbearable. I did the bushings and braces and toe links and it was still horrible! I wish I had just saved the money and did the solid swap first. I'm running a 96 rear now with everything 31 spline and 3.73 with steeda uppers and lowers. I am running 18" AFS replicas and the offset is is good enough I don't need a spacer. Oh I almost forgot, NO MORE WHEEL HOP EVER!

i have yet to read about a vert owner on these boards who regrets going sra. not too many coupe owners either, but i think folks who do it in the first place have more of a drag racing mentality anyway.

the whole sra/irs thing has been beaten to death, but here's my take - my vert had horrible wheelhop from new. i put in ftbr and it helped quite a bit, but it still had it from time to time.

then i bought a 2003 coupe last spring. even on the f1's with bone stock suspension... ZERO hop, under any conditions that i threw at it. (i put the ftbr stuff in it anyway cuz i was redoing the diff, and it is a definite upgrade)

so i will definitely try a sra in my vert at some point, but this coupe sure doesn't need it!

it just tells me is that somehow each car is different.

Swervedriver

Established Member
What did you guys do with this bracket?

7CECE383-C27A-4568-B44B-7C0B228C82E5-5001-000002137CF6D502.jpg

I welded a little tab onto the frame rail with a hole drilled through it. Bolt goes through that bracket, through the hold in my tab and threads right back into that bracket.

SRA cars hop to

In a convertible it seems a bit drastic to swap the IRS for an SRA to combat wheel hop. The IRS should provide better overall performance in a street car over a rear suspension more akin to an F-150. If this was my car I would be installing a full FTBR IRS bushing and perhaps upgrade the toe link bars. Now the car will corner even better, the loss of the spongy A-arm bushings for delrin should eliminate your wheel hop.

F150 leaf spring suspension is completely different from a mustangs 4 link setup. You are right about the IRS providing better all around performance in a street car but you've got to strangle every last gremlin out of it to get it there.

Users who are viewing this thread