Solid axle or not??

HouseSVT

Searching for 03...
Established Member
Just picked up a 99 live axle and Im kicking this swap around seriously..I can get the parts to do this fairly cheap but Im wondering if this will kill the ride completely..I hear how terrible they ride with the IRS gone, my cars basically a weekend driven car that will see a fair amount of track time..I will be using a Posi instead of a spool so that will be easier on the street..Seen lots of pics that look like the cars are sagging in the back, is that from too light of a spring rate or some sort of drag spring/shock combo? Ive been reading alot of posts and just figured Id pick everyones brain some more..After seeing Broke talking good about these Im wondering if I should take the plunge..

Fast Willy

Established Member
I know I will be doing the swap right after my motor and fuel system is done, but just like you mine is a weekend car so make what you want out of it.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
thumbs down on live axle for ride. Read the red pill.

Last edited:

03RedCobra

Established Member
I have a Solid Axle now in my car, and I can't tell a dang difference between the Solid and IRS.

Oh wait a minute, there is a difference.....the rear-end doesn't do any of the following anymore......wheel-hop, creak, pop, squeak, bang, etc.... Did I mention that the Solid is MUCH more quiet ??? LOL

Seems like people state how it made the ride much more harsh, etc..... I guess that they didn't put some good parts in, or something like that. I don't know. I drove my car 900 miles from St Louis out to Maryland, and it drove beautifully. There were some problems with the set-up of the gears, but Hermann corrected that right away.

By the way....You could eat Lunch under the car now with all the space left over after taking out the IRS !!!

Sure, you can beef-up the IRS to the point of where it is not wheel-hopping and being noisy, but you end up spending the same amount of money that it would cost to build up a good solid axle. If you ever intend on making the car one that sees the track quite often, getting into sanctioned events, etc... and plan on doing it regularly, I say convert it to a Solid Axle. If you don't plan on doing that, and won't do any Drag-strip racing or just limited amount for fun, Don't do it, there is no need to.

Last edited:

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I agree with 03RedCobra!

My car is 100 time better with the solid axle. This thing is silent, and just dead hooks. My car rides just as smooth, maybe smoother with the solid axle. It just feels real stable.

Now here is where it really gets good. My car is primarily a street car with limited track duty. I did the swap for pure piece of mind. If you go to the track alot, you can just throw sticky tires on there and be fine with the stock IRS. But if you drive on the street, all it takes is one wheel hop before you are getting towed for a broken halfshaft....ask me how I know that one.......

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Solid axle owns all Street and Track :rockon: :rockon: Do it and dont look back

MRCbar2.JPG

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
I should be picking up my built solid tommorow and putting it in along with front A-arms, coil-overs, slotted-crossdrilled rotors, stainless steel brake lines in the front. All that with the 3.90 that I put in there should make it alot of fun. I did it for piece of mind, plus the fact that big numbers are in the near future. I drive mine everyday as of now and I heard that if you set it up right you can handle just as good.

HouseSVT

Searching for 03...
Established Member
HouseSVT said:
DAMN!!!that looks great..What control arms and roll bar did you use??
Forgot to ask, what size wheels with the solid rear? I have the Telsstars on my car now, 15X8 w/ 4.5 BS..My solid is out of a 99...

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
The MT DRs are still good actually. 5/32 tread left they come with 6/32 new. I run Pro3i Weight Jacker lower control arms. I can adjust ride height with these. My UCAs are from CHE performance. I am a dealer for CHE so let me know if you need anything. The roll bar is made by Miller Race Cars here in CT. This anti-roll bar you can run tail pipes with, other brands you cannot.

I run 15x10 6.5 BS wheels. A 15x8 with a 4.5 should fit.

Users who are viewing this thread