Sold my truck and then the trouble began...Title question

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Need a little input from yall so I turn to SVTperf.
I had a guy named Austin test drive my truck tonight and he agreed to buy the 1994 z71 for $1800. Cash was given to me and we signed the title to Austin the new owner.

30 minutes later the truck broke down on Austin. He said the oil pressure went to 0 and the truck started knocking so he pulled into a gas station and left it there. He called me and told what happened and I told him to drive his car to my house and I'll give him the $ back and I'll get the truck towed tomorrow back to my place.
However, here's the question....
On the title it already has his name on it. Obviously the sale did not go through so I had him write on the back of the bill of sale that the truck broke down and that I gave him his $ back and he gave me the title back.
Can I even sell the truck now with him being the owner on the title?
Should I cross out his name?
Should I just apply for a new title, this costs $77 in the state of Florida?
Should I go to the local DMV and ask them what to do?

Anyone ever had this problem before?
Thanks for your help :beer::beer::rockon:

KurtDog

Established Member
Since the guy never filed the paper work and you returned his money, you are still the legal owner. I would guess you need to get a new copy of the title in order to sell the truck.

You should have told the guy to kick rocks, it's your problem now. :)

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Always list Sold As Is.

It's unfortunate, but a risk we take buying and selling. Just get a new title issued, fix truck, and repeat.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for the input. New title would probably be the best idea, but unfortunately it will cost me some $. Oh well, Felt like I did the right even though I sold As-is. Just couldn't find it in me to tell the guy to kick rocks

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Lol he prolly did numerous burnouts and pegged the limiter, now you're stuck with the bill.

Florida must duck if nowhere on the title does it state that someone else writing their name in the new owners box is them admitting they are the new owner. You shouldve told them to pound sand. Every cash purchase of a vehicle is sold as is if there is no warrant expressed, written or implied.

KurtDog

Established Member
Thanks for the input. New title would probably be the best idea, but unfortunately it will cost me some $. Oh well, Felt like I did the right even though I sold As-is. Just couldn't find it in me to tell the guy to kick rocks

You did do the right thing. Not many would have given him a cent back on a 20 year old truck.

I hope the fix is not too much and you are able to sell it. Otherwise you might want to look into donating it. It might be a nice tax write off.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
OP did right, makes shaving easier when you can look at yourself in the mirror.

RSH427R

Established Member
Google affidavit of error your state automobile title. In Indiana both parties sign it in front of a Notary, then staple it to the title. Good to go.

rlenzijr

Established Member
Class act, OP. I hope the fix isn't too bad. If it is someone else had mentioned donating the truck. Not a bad idea.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Do not cross anything out, you will void the title and cause more headaches, apply for a duplicate title and make a new bill of sale..good seller
M

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Just file for a duplicate. 78 bucks for a paper sheet. Some tag offices can do it on the spot for a small fee.

If not you'll get it in 5 days.

Users who are viewing this thread