sold car, Q about bill of sale across state lines

bchisom99

Established Member
I've got a question, LEO related or not, I'm on ohio, just sold my Snake to someone in Wisconsin, I DO NOT have title in hand, he is coming thursday with a check, what should we do about plates and him driving the car back to wisconsin??? in the event that he should get pulled over....what should we do, obviously I shouldn't send him alone with my plates still on the car, should we go to the DMV and try and get some temp tags or just a bill of sale???

any ideas??? b/c I have no clue..

Lawman85

Banned
Check with your DMV on it, they may issue temp tags for him. Make sure you have a bill of sale written up, signed by both of you, and notorized. For him, he needs to have some type of proof of insurance while he is transporting the car. All he has to do is call his insurance company, give them the VIN# and they will add it to the policy. He can then get something faxed to him from them that will show it.

jshen

Established Member
No Title? A "Check"?

Frankly, if I were going to purchase a car...I would want a title to go with it. That's just me...I don't want to buy something "subject" to a lienholder. Does this guy know you? I've seen greedy salespeople sell a car on Saturday night..and take a check from what appeared like decent folk...only to see check bounce..and car long gone. I've seen forged cashier's checks..The cars I've sold to people..I meet tham at their bank..get cash..and deposit it at my bank..Too easy to get screwed with commercial paper....This guy is from another state...Man you are trusting. If that doesn't bother you ...

Go with Lawman85's answer.

Last edited:

bchisom99

Established Member
If I had the cash to payoff the lein and get the title, I wouldn't be selling the car for which I have a payment on....

I'll get in touch with the local BMV monday. . .

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
What is typically done is you arrange with whomever holds the lein to have the title brought to a local branch and you and the buyer go together and he pays off the title and give you whatever is left. Then you immediately sign over the title so he can go to DMV for a temp tag to get it home.

bchisom99

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
What is typically done is you arrange with whomever holds the lein to have the title brought to a local branch and you and the buyer go together and he pays off the title and give you whatever is left. Then you immediately sign over the title so he can go to DMV for a temp tag to get it home.

not a bad idea, wonder if Chrysler will accomidate that...a few phone calls can't hurt...

wvmystichrome

Established Member
His home state of Wisonsin may be able to give him a one way plate with the correct information. I know here in WV we can get a one way plate if we buy something out of state or a distance from your home and you drive it back home.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
I don't know the legal way exactly, I know.... Im a WI LEO, I should.

Anyhow, like mentioned above, most places require that you clear the lein off the loan and then they rubber stamp it removing them as a lein holder. The way I did it is took the guy that bought the car to my bank, he paid off the lein, and then I banked my extra. I then signed the title to him and photocopied it, Mailed it to the DMV, then removed the plates from the car. He took the Title to prove he owned the car should he get stopped on the way home.

Now I know you need Temp tags on any and all vehicles that operate on the road but to be honest, If pulled a car over and they gave me the title and said they "JUST" bought it, I would let them go. Now if the sale date was 3 or 4 days ago, ticket time.

If nothing else, call the dealership you got the car at..... This is nothing new to them and they will know what to do.

bchisom99

Established Member
heres a good twist, allegedly in the counrty I live in, in Ohio, they have eliminated paper titles and are using "e-titles" so it takes about 2 weeks to get the title back when its paid off, so he's gonna send me a check and were gonna ship the car...thanks for all the replies.

Lawiffer, he definatly called the WI state patrol and said don't even bother picking the car up w/out a title in hand, so there went that idea. . .haha

Users who are viewing this thread