Soild Aluminum \ Nylon Rear IRS Bushings

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
I bought a bushing kit from this guy Nick,

[email protected]

It's the upper \ lower controll arm bushings & diff bushings.

Solid Aluminum & nylon bushings.

Anyone else buy these from this guy?

Because mine don't fit, and I've emailed him, and my buddy who is installing them at his shop has called him and left messages, and we get no reply?

The nylon bushings are to big and need to be milled to fit, and then some of the aluminum pieces aren't big enough?

This is beat, I paid $$$ and now I have a bunch of crap that I have to modify to use, while my rear sits all in pieces taking up space over at my buddies shop.

I guess it's my fault from buying things from a private person and not a company.

Can anyone else tell me their views on these bushings?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I got delrin and aluminum ones from Nick and had no problems. When you say the nylon ones are too big, please give specifics. On the LCA's the sleeves have to be removed from the control arms. On the uppers, the sleeves stay in. Where EXACTLY are you having problems?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What Shadowgray03 said. I have his bushings in my car also without a problem. I don't know about them being nylon shadow and myself have Delrin. The LCA bushings are tight fit I had to press in my passenger side, but they do fit. Make sure he is removing the LCA shells and leaves in the UCA shells.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I have these bushings as well. Follow Toofast4u's instructions and you will not have a problem. The LCA's were the biggest PIA out of all the bushings.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
ok, thanks guys

I didn't want to start talking smack, but he keeps telling me he's having problems with them.

I guess nick must be busy, hense the lack of a response.

I'm not even with my car, it's over at my friends shop, and he's been taking care of those type of things.

We have the rear out, doing the irs cover bracem the level 5 shafts, and then nicks bushings.

I'll let him know everything should be fine, and hopefully him & nick can get in touch and figure it out.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
I talked to my guy

now he says that the problem he's having is when he tightens the lower arms to the point he thinks they should be tightened, the arm doesn't move?

He's going to leave another message with nick. If anyone has first hand experience with these and you'd be willing to shoot my buddy a call and tell him the deal. Go right ahead.

His name is charlie, and his cell # is 1-609-839-7337

I believe this is the first irs he's worked on. And I've never touched one myself either so thats why I got help in the first place.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
If I remember correctly, TooFast posted a while ago that you need to torque the LCA bolts to 100 lbs-ft with Nick's delrin bushings, instead of 184 lbs-ft for the stock bushings, otherwise the delrin LCA bushings will bind.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by BlueOvalBill
If I remember correctly, TooFast posted a while ago that you need to torque the LCA bolts to 100 lbs-ft with Nick's delrin bushings, instead of 184 lbs-ft for the stock bushings, otherwise the delrin LCA bushings will bind.

I went down to 85 lbs-ft...

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The passenger side LCA on my car and toofasts(and maybe others) had some issues with the front bolt holes not lining up. This isnt an issues with the rubber bushings cause the crush tube could be easily moved to allow the bolt to go through but since the delrin doesnt give we had to slightly elongate the one hole.

As for torque specs, make sure he is torqueing them with a loaded suspension. I personally have mine set at the stock 185ft/lbs and the LCA seemed to move fine but I may loosen them if I find its too stiff.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
As Shadow said if the LCA bolts don't just slide in find out why and enlarge that hole if necessary. The Delrin bushings do not give like the stock ones and therefore will have a major issue with binding if the bolt holes are not straight. This is one of the major reasons MM has not released there kit yet as they are trying to determine the best way to handle it with there customers. Also I spoke with a Ford tech about a month ago and he told me the correct torque for the LCA is 115 ft. Ibs not 184 ft Ibs. I don't remember if he said it was due to a TSB or not, but I did ask him twice to clearify and make sure I understood what he said. That said mine are torqued to 100 ft. Ibs.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Also I spoke with a Ford tech about a month ago and he told me the correct torque for the LCA is 115 ft. Ibs not 184 ft Ibs. I don't remember if he said it was due to a TSB or not, but I did ask him twice to clearify and make sure I understood what he said. That said mine are torqued to 100 ft. Ibs.
Damn, thats good to know, guess I better retorque mine.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I also had the binding LCA with my setup. Thanks for the help Toofast4u. I used a 5/8 drill bit through both sides of the LCA (front bolts). It still binds a little, I'm going to use a reamer this time and it will take care of the issue. Mine are torqued to 100 ft/lbs as well. I have the Ford Service manuals and in the manual it says the torque spec is 111 ft/lbs. I don't think a little more/less torque really matters too much except for too much torque will cause a binding issue. All in all just a minor problem. Have fun with it!:beer:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I spoke with an engineer at MM and he said the major issue they had with the development of the delrin LCA bushings was the binding. He said their fix was to make the bushing a little narrower and supply shims with the kit as every car is a little different. I'm not sure what the tolerance is with the LCA boxes but I'm sure there is a small tolerance allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread