So why these AR rifles?

Panic661

Established Member
Or any rifle that looks like an assault rifle? Style? Magazine size capabilities? Cause they are fun to shoot?

I'm really curious as I've always grown up on revolvers, single shots, bolt actions, and yea, semi auto shotguns, however living in California, regulations own us.

I just see quite a few users with AR's etc and just wonder what the attraction is? I've got a single shot .270 with a Leupold scope that weighs less than most rifles..

I simply see hunting practicality and bullet cost, I suppose.

An offer was given to me $600 for an AR .223 however I didn't really care to have it, I responded with "for what I enjoy doing, it isn't practical."

So, am I wrong? Are these valid rifles for hunting? Or great for..doing garbage to and preparing for the incoming apocalypse and/or zombie invasion?'

Again, simply wondering.. no offense to anyone that does own an AR, educate me a bit.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ask a zombie or a communist why they don't want the people to respect the Constitution.

clbailey

Established Member
Its the customization aspect, everyone loves to change everything to their liking and personality.

Personally I think the small AR type carbines are worthless. I have shot 1000 rounds through a Daniel Defense AR-15 with some mods and it is a horrible gun. I have also been shooting a cheap ak47 knockoff that was 300 bucks and it put 1000 rounds in a few mintues and didnt have a single hiccup.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
For me, it's about the looks and the fact that they are fun to shoot and extremely reliable. Plus, the one I was issued is less than a foot away at the moment.

Machdup1

Established Member
An AR is a great platform. Defense, offense, hunting, competition, etc. It will do the job if it is well built.

Then again, a rifleman can can perform all of those functions with a $99 Mosin Nagant from the 30's.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
An AR is a great platform. Defense, offense, hunting, competition, etc. It will do the job if it is well built.

Then again, a rifleman can can perform all of those functions with a $99 Mosin Nagant from the 30's.

Haha i agree. I love my Mosin Nagant. It's fun giving my gun guru buddy crap about how my round is a huge 7.62x54 compared to his AR's 5.56 round. Though I've been trying to buy that gun from him forever.

Fuerza

Established Member
I'm in the Army and I don't get the obsession either. :shrug: I tote around an M4 24-7 and it means nothing to me. Granted some of my Soldiers love their M4 enough to spend their own hard earned money to customize it, I just don't see it. I'm not a hunter or sportsman shooter so I guess the enthusiast isn't there for me. Yes I go out on patrols too, and the issued stuff worked just fine.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I'm in the Army and I don't get the obsession either. :shrug: I tote around an M4 24-7 and it means nothing to me. Granted some of my Soldiers love their M4 enough to spend their own hard earned money to customize it, I just don't see it. I'm not a hunter or sportsman shooter so I guess the enthusiast isn't there for me. Yes I go out on patrols too, and the issued stuff worked just fine.

It sounds like you just arnt a gun person in general then?

Fuerza

Established Member
It sounds like you just arnt a gun person in general then?

Yes, that is a good assumption about me. I'm not saying anything bad about those that buy and customize an AR15 either. I just have always been curious as to why they do it? Police and military I can see, because of the nature of the work, however the average person why? I guess the same can be said about a car enthusiast that spends money on a "car". I guess in case in point we are talking "AR15s".

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
For you it sounds like an AR may be wrong. For me an AR is wrong, I'm more of a AK, M1A , Garand guy. BTW I was talking to a Marine a while back and he told me when they were at the range the 5.56 would sometimes bounce off the target at 500 yards, 7.62 NATO won't.

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
the AR platform is a good one BUT you have to get one that is mil spec and they still need a lot of attention they can be very accurate but they don't quite have the take down power of the .308 NATO round personally for the money you would spend on a good AR (900 +) i would just get a Romanian AK and a bunch of ammo

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
The AR-15 and all 5.56/.223 variants are very popular for a few reasons:

1. There's am abundance of parts, due to the fact that our military uses similar rifles
2. They're pretty modular and can be customized to any individuals liking
3. They are a shooters rifle - low recoil, pistol grip (most of them), and butt stock in line with the sights/rail.

Also, the 5.56 round is nothing to play with. It's a high velocity round and it's good out to 600 yards.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
OP is in California.... aka BAKERtucky

There are so many restrictions regarding AR type rifles that it's almost pointless because we can have them in a configuration allowed by 90% of other states.

Don't buy one... ;)

cobra_mer

Established Member
For me, it's about the looks and the fact that they are fun to shoot and extremely reliable. Plus, the one I was issued is less than a foot away at the moment.

I heard people say a lot of nice things about M4/M16/AR15 "reliable" has never one of them. Jamming up with the little amount of dust, only able to put 100-200 rounds through before usually failing due to carbon build up in chamber, etc.

Some of the reliability issues can be squashed by changing the upper to a gas/piston blowback style instead fo the factory exhaust tube blowback.

Only reason they went with this completely useless design was cost effectiveness. A tube is a lot cheaper than a gas operated piston.

One thing I will say there are very accurate straight shooting guns. With my M4 I would hit a coffee can at 800 yards all day long with just my ACOG. :beer:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I heard people say a lot of nice things about M4/M16/AR15 "reliable" has never one of them. Jamming up with the little amount of dust, only able to put 100-200 rounds through before usually failing due to carbon build up in chamber, etc.

Some of the reliability issues can be squashed by changing the upper to a gas/piston blowback style instead fo the factory exhaust tube blowback.

Only reason they went with this completely useless design was cost effectiveness. A tube is a lot cheaper than a gas operated piston.

One thing I will say there are very accurate straight shooting guns. With my M4 I would hit a coffee can at 800 yards all day long with just my ACOG. :beer:

Keep in mind I'm not talking about military issued M4/M16s. These things are used, abused, rode hard and hung up wet. So yeah, they do malfunction fairly often (also due to the garbage ammo we get). But most of my experiences with nice, mid-high end, personally owned and well maintained ARs have been positive.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member

They can be finiky but ive never had issues with most of the ARs ive shot while in basic or my units. Maybe a jam here or there, but these rifles were old and used as piss. Just keep them clean and youre good. Although im thinking maybe I will get a Bushmaster ACW for a more updated 5.56 platform.

Black Sex

Established Member
I've been thinking of getting an AR myself but have a hard time choking down the almost $900 for the one I want (Rock River).
I currently have a Saiga 7.62 (pistol grip/T6 stock) and its a blast to shoot. I've had it for about 9yrs now and have not had one issue. I've thought about selling my Saiga to cover the cost of an AR but it's hard to sell something that is so reliable.
Reliability AK > AR
Accuracy AK < AR

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Reliability AK > AR True
Accuracy AK < AR False

The 7.62x39 is a garbage round, good to only about 300m in most AKs. Sure, you could hit a large target like a car at 400-500m. But the average joe isn't going to hit a human sized "Ivan" target with any consistency at those distances.

Black Sex

Established Member
The 7.62x39 is a garbage round, good to only about 300m in most AKs. Sure, you could hit a large target like a car at 400-500m. But the average joe isn't going to hit a human sized "Ivan" target with any consistency at those distances.

But you would agree with my statement being the x39 round is less accurate than the 556/223?

Users who are viewing this thread