So what does it take to run 10's???

2000wrx

Established Member
I want to know what does it really take to run even high 10's with a 1996-98 Cobra?

I am considering the purchase of a 1999-00 SS with the goal of having a daily driver (summer only) that can run 10's with a H/C/NOS package I think this is very doable and cost effective.

I have a very soft spot for the 96-98 Cobras so I thought I would see how they compare to the SS in cost effective performance. So far it seems the SS is far ahead of the Cobra...

My thought for the Cobra was a forged 5.0SB with lots O Vortech boost.. basic bolt ons, gears, fuel and tuning should make for a 10 second streeter right? But at what cost looks like over 12K all said and done.

I think the SS could see 10's for... maybe 7Kish.

Help me out with what I my be missing on getting a Cobra reliability into the 10's

Thanks

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
For power, you're on the right track, but you'll also need to get that power to hook, which will require a few suspension mods and slicks. With a car that launches that hard, you'll have to upgrade the transmission, differential and axles. And not to mention that for either car, you'll need some safety equipment to run that number.

2000wrx

Established Member
yea suspension is assumed as are slicks..

Just seems like the Cobra is 30-40% more expensive for similar power... :(

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
2000wrx said:
Just seems like the Cobra is 30-40% more expensive for similar power... :(

You really have to have a good look at both cars and what you want out of them. If you are only concerned with power, go with the Camaro. If you prefer a platform with, IMHO, fewer creaks/rattling interior pieces/more comfortable seating position, is it worth the added cost? Try taking both for a test drive to get an idea of what they are about.

2000wrx

Established Member
That is part of the plan, I am not an all one brand guy, I like many differing cars. I do like the Cobra better, I just worry about its potentional to get me the power I want.

I have seen a few 1996 Cobras in the 10-12K range... So when the time comes I will drive them and the SS and see which I like better. I had 2 L98 Formulas and an LT1 Z28, all which I found to be comfortable on long rides.

Though IMO you can not beat the sound of a stang, even more so the DOHC motors... and the idea of a 5.0L cammer is very luring... as I like to be different.

just wondeing what will a bolt-on Cobra do in the 1/4 on average? low 13's high 12's?

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
2000wrx said:
just wondeing what will a bolt-on Cobra do in the 1/4 on average? low 13's high 12's?

Depends on what you concider bolt-ons. With full exhaust, pulleys, intake and gears, mid to low 13s should be doable on street rubber. Add in DR's and you should be getting high 12s. A few suspension components (UCAs, LCAs, drag shocks/struts/springs) should help you get closer to mid 12s. All the above with slicks and you'll be at low 12s. Remove some weight, do a short-runner intake, maybe cams as well and you can possibly hit high 11's.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Try to find a 95...it's a SN95 body with a 5.0 liter engine in it. Same body and look the same as the 96-98, however, much, much less expensive to make fast. Hell, the blower kit for a 95 vs 98 is like 60% the cost. You can put a new blower on a 5.0 for 2 grand or so. The blower for the 98 is gonna be about 3500 minimum with the tune. For the 12,000 you'd spend on the 98...you could get a 95, rebuild the motor and put a blower on for the same price. If I were gonna buy a Cobra as a straight drag car...it would be a 5.0 liter.

69DodgeCharger

Established Member
do you do your own engine work? If so forging the cobras motor will only set you back about $2,000 give or take. Once you forge the motor and port the heads, 10's are just a blower and fuel system away. Suspension of course will also be needed. You can get 10's with stock cams and intake. Just get a procharger or a t-trim, or NOVI. You could do it with an S-trim but you would be maxing the blower out (I now I will be)

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
69DodgeCharger said:
do you do your own engine work? If so forging the cobras motor will only set you back about $2,000 give or take. Once you forge the motor and port the heads, 10's are just a blower and fuel system away. Suspension of course will also be needed. You can get 10's with stock cams and intake. Just get a procharger or a t-trim, or NOVI. You could do it with an S-trim but you would be maxing the blower out (I now I will be)
is Sean at HCI building your motor. that guy knows his stuff. i love his TT 93 Cobra, o so perfect.

2000wrx

Established Member
The whole point of getting a Cobra would be to have that fun 4cammer screeming under the hood. If I wanted to just go fast i'd get a notch.

I will see when the time comes, i'll drive both a Cobra and an SS. As of now I think that the SS with a H/C/NOS set up is one hard act to beat.

Maybe i'll give lidio a call and see what he thinks a stock 4cam can hold. I remember him putting a sick amount of boost through stock 4cammers.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Pft, go with the SS h/c/NOS you think its going to be cheaper? Might be but not by much man, its a chevy and we all know how much fun those things are to moddifiy compared to a Ford.

I would go with a Cobra man, you could be in the low 11's or high 10's with blower/gear/full exhaust/tire. Your looking at a smooth 500rwhp for about 6-7 grand with install. Not to mention I don't know if you like having a screaming procharger like me but having my poweradder be a quite, hidden NOS bottle just isn't my style. h/c/nos SS is more over played than anna nicole commericals.

2000wrx

Established Member
overplayed.... yea not rare like an S/C'd Cobra... LOL

I would think to run 10's supercharged you'd want a forged cammer. That was the part in my formula that the Cobra to the much more expensive to mod road.

I don't have any must be X brand hang ups so chevy, ford, toyota its all good. I am a CAR guy, not a must be one brand guy.

Show me some people that are running 10's with only a S/C on a Cobra please... I would like to see the combo they are running.

"its a chevy and we all know how much fun those things are to moddifiy compared to a Ford." -

lost me hear? reffering to the cramped space of the LS1 eng. bay?

XR8TED285

Established Member
I think cole did chargers motor and I did the cylinder heads...There are guys running low 11s on stock motor with less then 315 rwhp my new should make 400 rwhp and go into the 10s n/a faster on the bottle...

2000wrx

Established Member
yea have heard bout that.... heheh

I am now thinking that looking for a modded Cobra might be an interesting option. Provided I find the right one. I've seen a few S/C'd Cobras within my proposed budget.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
when i bought my cobra it had 4.10 gears, built rear, drag radials, t/a and underdrive pullies and he ran a best of 12.7 in it. not to shabby i dont think.

2000wrx

Established Member
Okay, so I see that the Cobra is just an underperformer from the factory, and that they do in fact wake up well.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
there was a article in a mustang mag about a year ago about 2 guys that had 96's and did the bolt ons. they both hit 12.0's with just basic bolt ons, only engine work was a ported intake. no nitrous, no charger.

Users who are viewing this thread