So what do you fellas think about this?

MuscleOwnzRice

Words that make me cool
Established Member
I know im prolly gunna get torn apart for this but consider this first, im in college and pay for every penny i can. Im thinking about selling the cobra and getting and Audi s4 b5 which is 2000-2001 due to being in the Midwest and not being able to DD this beast at college, any better suggestions in my budget? I just want something reliable but still fast, hence an s4.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
what you looking to spend? I would say most people will tell you to just buy a crappy DD like a old ranger and save your money. then they will tell ya that people in school need to save the money and wait till they are done for all the toys when they are ready for them. But to answer your question i would go with a jeep they are fun in the summer with the top down and great in the winter. Not so good on gas but worth it.

MuscleOwnzRice

Words that make me cool
Established Member
i have a jeep cherokee 95 which i also bought from my grandparents and its a beast in the snow but i cant live without a performance car. Well what it comes down to is the army pays for college but i want to get on my own already, so i want an s4, but is that reasonable? a b5 which is the older version

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Priorities man. You'll be thakful one day. I love the B5's (I had a 05.5 B6 with the V8). Only problem with Audis is that the repair cost on them is horrendous. Are you specifically looking for 4 WD? In the price range of alot of B5's you can get the skittle (srt4) which are actually very stout cars for what they are. Also have WRX's, Legacy's and some other pretty nice cars.

Of course I want to say keep the Cobra, but in reality you'd be better off buying another one down the road. :)

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I'm not feelin' the 300 HP being "a beast". I'd recommend learning how to drive it sanely and being happy with what you have.

z11375ss

Established Member
I'd say you're gay. You will regret selling that car. Although I myself have regretted selling at least 4 cars in my life. Audi? Get a pickup if anything.

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

S4's are nice, my neighbor has only had S4's for the entire time I've been his neighbor, first was a 2000 or a 2001. It was quick comfortable and didn't give him any trouble. He had a GIAC tune, CAI, downpipe, and aftermarket turbo inlet. He raced my friend who was over one day with an 01 cobra and walked him up the block. Nice cars. I'd look into it, you shouldn't let others influence you to do something that you don't want to do (i.e. keep a car that isn't practical.)

Now he has a 2007 (I think it's an 07) the non turbo v8 model. It's 'okay' fast but not what I was expecting compared to his last car.

Pudmunkies

Established Member
I love the B5 S4 but the reliability is not what it should be. You may be alright if you find one thats had its turbos swapped, timing chain done, immaculate condition etc.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
I'd say you're gay. You will regret selling that car. Although I myself have regretted selling at least 4 cars in my life. Audi? Get a pickup if anything.

I would hardly say he's gay for wanting a better car. Sure Mustang's sound good, and can be made quick for cheap, but the Audi is a TON nicer.

To the OP: If an S4 is truly the only option, then I would do it. Otherwise get something less expensive. I always wanted to have my nice car and a DD, but that wasn't cost effective (Cobra payments + maintenance whore SHO = poor ass me). Sold the Cobra, bought a DD Audi V8 Quattro, and now the SHO is my weekend car (LOL I know, but it's more of a resto project than anything). Best part? I own both cars... have insurance that is $300 cheaper a month, and no more car payment. Factor in gas, and I save $600 a month without the Cobra. Not to mention the fact I was constantly modifying it. I'm much better off for the time being. More important things to worry about!

Plus now I have an excuse to FINALLY buy myself a Foxbody when I finish college. :rolling:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
What does it cost tomaintain an Audi? We talking Volkswagen or Mercedes Benz, in terms of up-keep? And VW is expensive enough.

Jim Snover

i have a jeep cherokee 95 which i also bought from my grandparents and its a beast in the snow but i cant live without a performance car. Well what it comes down to is the army pays for college but i want to get on my own already, so i want an s4, but is that reasonable? a b5 which is the older version

Rotzs99

Established Member
I'd have to agree with everyone else and say get a beater. I'm in the same boat as you, but more north. I drive a Ranger in the winter (My Cobra, You're an ass). Find something like a GTI where you can have fun playing with the turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread