So now having tranny issues going into 3rd above 7k RPM

okc12silvergt

Established Member
So I went back to the track with the 3.73s and now after about 5 passes the car will not go into 3rd above 7k RPM. I am going to do the helper spring removal and change my clutch line fluid. What fluid should I go with and how much fluid does it take?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Any DOT 4 syn will be fine but i went with Amsoil. One 12 ounce bottle will be more than enough for just the clutch line, but not a bad idea to bleed the brakes at this time. If you want to bleed the brakes, i would probably grab three 12 ounce bottles. Will allow you to completely suck out and clean out the brake reservoir, refill, and enough to bleed the brakes.

SteveC

Established Member
Are you still on the stock clutch? I know that some people (mostly with Boss mani's) that try shifting at >7k rpm on the stock clutch have issues. I think SCalla1384 ran into this problem recently and went with a dual disc clutch and that solved his problem, maybe he will come in and share is story to see if it is similar to what you are experiencing.

Joey8

Established Member
Are you still on the stock clutch? I know that some people (mostly with Boss mani's) that try shifting at >7k rpm on the stock clutch have issues. I think SCalla1384 ran into this problem recently and went with a dual disc clutch and that solved his problem, maybe he will come in and share is story to see if it is similar to what you are experiencing.

^^ This. I've been reading it has something to do with the pressure plate not being able to handle it.

OP did you try a stainless steel clutch line, like the one JPC sells. I heard that helps along with the whiteline trans bushing.

I have a SS clutch line, amsoil DOT 4 fluid, and the whiteline trans bushing waiting to go in. I just removed the spring and I have HIGHLY recommend the MGW shifter if you don't already have it.

konabluekiller

Established Member
I did every single thing you can do and I still had shifting problems over 6500... put a twin disk in and then it's fixed. Don't skip it, you'll regret it when your stock clutch destroys your syncros

draxxus131

Established Member
Can anyone please explain to me how our stock clutch is messing up the syncro's, is it not fully engaging?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I doubt you have to go to a twin disc to solve the problem. A good aftermarket clutch and pressure plate should fix it.

Bad synchros are usually due to the clutch. The stock one more than likely isn't releasing all the way. This will also effect shifting at high rpm.

Last edited:

konabluekiller

Established Member
Stock clutch doesn't disengage fully at wot and high rpms. Any clutch is better but the McLeod twin makes it shift like butter. The spec twin rattles and makes all kinds of noise...

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
OP, are you trying to force the shifter into 3rd gear?

I've found that the best way to shift from 2nd to 3rd is let the shifter move itself back to "dead center". Quickly, using the palm of your hand, push the shifter out of 2nd gear, let the return spring center the shifter, then push it straight up into 3rd gear.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I have an early 2011 (mid 2010 build date). I have done all the MT-82 fixes without even experiencing stuck pedal and lock-out issues common with these transmissions…..Only issue I had was the 1-2 grind when cold for the first mile or 2….I just wanted to get a head of the 8-ball by doing all the helpers ahead of time. The car has been perfect, but I WILL be swapping the clutch soon….not because its worn, but because of the horror stories of pressure plate bolt issues….not to mention I will be spraying the car here soon too and will need the added beef in the clutch department.

Users who are viewing this thread