So my T-5 Gave out last week thought i would post some carange

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Well after reading up on T-5s and talking to people with experience i was pretty sure that i broke my 3-4 Shift fork. Well that would be an easy fix because the they are on the top of the box and that is like the 3rd thing to come off. But i open it up and of course the forks are perfectly find. Me and my dad dug in a little more do find this!!!!
Well here is why my car looks like now.
160_6072.JPG

Here is what my mainshaft should look like
160_6073.JPG

And here is what it does look like
160_6074.JPG

Another carnage pic
160_6075.JPG

Yikes. So no simple fix for me. I cant believe i was still able to drive it for 15 miles, wow. I guess ill call Hanlon and get the rebuild kit and see how much the main shaft is gonna cost me. Anyone have one for sale?? :eek:wned:

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
My Cobra has the 1st to 2nd grind. I'm pretty sure it's the synchros, how hard of a job would it be to replace them? How hard of a job has it been working on your T-5 so far? Should I just fix my T-45 or keep saving and try and get a T-56? I don't want to put alot of $$$ in it and later on it messes up again. From what all i've read about these T-45 transmissions, I've come to one conclusion- THEY SUCK!!

Last edited:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Ouch. At least the T5 is easy to rebuild. The t45's you have to pull everything out from the rear, there is no access panel.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Well i got this T-5 rebuild video from Hanlon Motorsports, The guy in the video completely diss assembles the tranny and then puts it back together with new parts it was a very informative video. Im hopig that i can get a deal somewhere for a new mainshaft. I have seen the g-force but i dont have the money for it, my plan is to try this rebuild and make it work until i can afford it, if i can do it then i will save a ton of money because i can put the kit together myself.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Not sure if you are still looking to buy one, but a guy local to me has one for sale...

http://www.stlmustangs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31370

My t-5 looked somewhat like that. The input shaft was MUCH worse though. It had chunks taken out of it. Upgraded to a 3550 and it loves the abuse.

Also, while you got it all out, you should get an aluminum driveshaft.

Last edited:

Shifter

Established Member
that hanlon video is great!

Let me check, I had a couple mainshaft's floating around.....that was before I moved into the new house....lots of things have "vanished" during/since the move.

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread