So many problems...So little time...

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Where do I begin... Well i'll start at idling because thats a good place to start. My idle hunts around at anywhere from 500-900 all while shaking the car and sounding like it's gunna crap out but it hasn't done so yet. Next, Bucking at 3300+ RPM.. I bought the Cobra cuz it has that revvy 32v engine that makes all of it's torque and HP up high. I can't even enjoy the car because i'm afraid to really let it loose. Third Problem, notchy and gritty shifting. It seems to go away once the tranny has warmed up but when it's cold it kicks at me when putting it into 2nd and 3rd even 4th sometimes. Last problem that i can live with is a squeaky front suspension. When you hit a decent bump in the road you get that "old-matress" swoosh/squeak type noise... I sold my 1972 mustang coupe to get some money for the cobra but now i wish i had it back cuz that car never gave me any problems.

Basically my three main questions are:
1. What causes hunting idle? and How do you fix it?
2. I don't think that the 2001 cobras has Imrc's so whats causing this violent bucking in the 3300+RPM range? (it happens at exactly that point.. in 1st, 2nd, 3rd (haven't gone to 4th or 5th with that kinda RPM) and it also occurs whether you are accelerating lightly or pedal to the metal)
3. What type of tranny fluid, how much, and any friction modifiers that you recommend for getting rid of this notchy tranny crap?

Please for the love of fords get me on the right track to enjoying this car or im just gunna sell it and get a more reliable and probably slower POS.
:shrug:
57K miles, Mostly stock except for K&N Air filter, 3.73 gears, and a spec stage 1

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
#1 - Check the usuals, dirty MAF, dirty air filter, sparkplugs (replace 'em while you're in there), fuel filter, etc

#2 - No IMRCs on 01s. Only the 96-98 cobras had IMRCs.

#3 - Drain trans fluid and replace with GM Synchromesh (or your choice or any other high quality trans fluid, Amsoil, etc).

Read the FAQ/sticky for further advice/search as needed for the answers to these questions...they are pretty common among 99/01s.

G'luck.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Sounds like it just needs some TLC and a good tune up.

THe hunting idle could be a slight vacuum leak, so check the vacuum hoses and replace any that are worn or cracked.

Then start with a good tune up. Clean the MAF, new fuel filter, change spark plugs, clean air filter. Unplug the batter while your doing this to reset the long and short term fuel trims. Change the oil and oil filter. Use a quality lubricant and stick with that brand.

GM synchromesh in the transmission. 01 Cobra's have the finicky TR3650 transmission and don't like to be overly full. I believe 3.5 quarts is recomended in that tranny, but check for yourself as I'm not 100% that's the correct amount.

Finally, you might try running some sea-foam through the engine. This will help clean up the intake and burn out any carbon deposits.

Once all that's done, go give it an italian tune up (hot rod the crap out of it if that didn't make any sense to you).

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Whats this sea-foam stuff i keep hearing about.. I've never seen or used it.. Where do you get it and how does it work. Also, is there anything in the ECU or engine that changes at around 3300 RPM that would cause this. It's gotta be a problem with something like that cuz thats the exact point where it happens everytime and it's consistent and will happen everytime.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Nope, nothing at that point where anything changes in the ECU that I'm aware of. If you're at WOT you've already gone to closed loop operation.

It honestly sounds more like you just need a tune up. Start with the basics, then dig deeper if the basics don't clear up the problem.

If something was goign wrong in the ECU you'd likely be throwing codes, which you didn't state that you were.

Sea-Foam is a petroleum based cleanser. It can be found at any auto parts store and is quite cheap.

You want to run about a 1/4 of a can through the PCV system. It runs through all the vacuum lines, the intake manifold, the combustion chambers and just kind of cleans everything out.

Do a search with Sea Foam as the key word and you'll find some better instructions and results from people.

My suggestion would be to go to the auto parts store this week and pick up the following.

Oil with oil filter
Fuel filter
Autolite 764's (copper core)
Sea Foam
Rubbing alcohol and q-tips

Spend the weekend doing an oil change, fuel filter and spark plug change. Pull the MAF and GENTLY clean the wire element with some rubbing alcohol using a soft q-tip.

Then run the sea foam through the car.

I'm quite certain you'll find the car runs better. If it doesn't then you can start narrowing down things from there.

omj

Established Member
I'd run the sea foam thorugh the motor before I changed the oil to get all of it that makes it past the rings out of the oil.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
whizdumb81 said:
Whats this sea-foam stuff i keep hearing about.. I've never seen or used it.. Where do you get it and how does it work. Also, is there anything in the ECU or engine that changes at around 3300 RPM that would cause this. It's gotta be a problem with something like that cuz thats the exact point where it happens everytime and it's consistent and will happen everytime.

Where in NJ are you located?

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Once all that's done, go give it an italian tune up (hot rod the crap out of it if that didn't make any sense to you).

Sounds like a Polish tune-up to me (Wait i'm polish)... Beat it up to make it run better thats funny :lol:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
whizdumb81 said:
Sounds like a Polish tune-up to me (Wait i'm polish)... Beat it up to make it run better thats funny :lol:

Heats up the cylinders and helps burn away carbon deposits. The increased oil pressure helps to get more oil to more moving parts etc etc.

Our engine's like to rev, give it what it wants :thumbsup:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
99riocobra said:
i'm pretty sure you are in Open Loop when under WOT. :poke:

No I don't think so. The computer works it under part throttle but full throttle is preprogrammed.

Users who are viewing this thread