so it's clutch time, which flywheel to go with?

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
so my stock clutch is on it's way out after a few years of street/track abuse...so it's about time for an upgrade! i've narrowed down my choice to a spec stage 3+ (whipple coming soon) and a 26 spline input shaft. i might as well buy a flywheel while im at it since i dont know the history of mine that well (bought car with 40k on the clock).

i'm looking at the spec and fidanza aluminum flywheels...which one works best with the stage 3+? or are they about the same? any other thoughts?

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I just had my stock flywheel resurfaced and went that route. Not sure about aftermarket ones but Fidanza seems to be popular.

zinc

Established Member
Dont know about the the drive qaulity difference but I chose fidanza due to the replaceable friction plate

KILRSVT

Established Member
i went fidanza with the replaceable friction plate....no chatter..great grip. PITA to install the alignment pins...my thoughts is they are about the same the spec and fidanza but....if you order a spec clutch with their flywheel the assembly will come balanced..which will eliminate any vibrations..probably easier to install as well.

Last edited:

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
i went fidanza with the replaceable friction plate....no chatter..great grip. PITA to install the alignment pins...my thoughts is they are about the same the spec and fidanza but....if you order a spec clutch with their flywheel the assembly will come balanced..which will eliminate any vibrations..probably easier to install as well.

really? i did not know that. does spec have a removable friction plate as well?

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
its clutch time for me aswell i went with mcloed rxt with mcloed flywheel an bearing already got 26 spline input im hopin this mcloed should feel way better than the centerforce df i was runnin before

zinc

Established Member
Dont qoute me but I dont think the spec friction plate is replaceable

Jroc

Established Member
I run a Ram Billet Aluminum flywheel. Not the cheapiest.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I used a n F1 lightened steeel flywheel. This is what happened to my stocker. After that i didnt want to go throught that again.

DSCN2379.jpg

Riceater52910

Established Member
I've had great luck with my Ford racing steel flywheel and Spec 3+ combo. Absolutely no chatter even when the clutch was breaking in. Steel flywheels are more streetable than aluminum because they create less if any chatter. The advantage of aluminum is more power to the wheels, though i dont believe its anything more than 5hp to the ground. Wasnt worth it too me.

Last edited:

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I too have had great luck with my Ford racing steel flywheel ,no chatter , great street manners.

Users who are viewing this thread