Votes: 11 35.5%
  • 1911s suck, get a Glock.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
...and I can't decide which one I want. The Kimber is gorgeous and has a great reputation and the S&W has a worked trigger from the factory and great looks. That said, I ask the opinion of SVTP.

Kimber Grand Raptor II:
grand_raptor.jpg

Approximately $1,400

Or

Smith & Wesson Doug Koenig Edition:
108287_large.jpg

Approximately $1,300

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm a colt man ,but i voted for the Smith,its got the extended clipwell and you will like that allot.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I was looking at the Kimber last week and it gave me the impression of looking mass produced due to the look of the scallops .

The S&W looks nicer in my opinion.

If I were to want to purchase a special gun I would look into a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer.

There is nothing nicer than a gun with perfectly hand cut checkering.

Last edited:

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member

Skrapmetal

Established Member
S&W. Seen lots of people bitching about newer kimbers external ejectors wearing out quickly.

Luckyeod28

major league infidel
Established Member
For $1300-1400 I would go for a Springfield Armory. They make great guns and for about 1700 you can get a great TRP. Thump is right though, you can't get much better than a Wilson or Baer.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
S&W. Seen lots of people bitching about newer kimbers external ejectors wearing out quickly.

Really? That's good to hear. I'll have to research into that...

Go for the Smith you'll love it.
I have a Colt as well, but I love the Smith more.

What model Colt do you have? I love my Combat Commander. The thing with the Smith is, is that it's a higher "model" than the Colt. The Colt is more cut and dry and simple, whereas the S&W comes with all the bells and whistles.

For $1300-1400 I would go for a Springfield Armory. They make great guns and for about 1700 you can get a great TRP. Thump is right though, you can't get much better than a Wilson or Baer.

Didn't Springfield outsource their weapons to Brazil? When I was handling a G.I. mil-spec the other day, it said "Made in Brazil" right on the frame. I set it right back down on the counter and continued shopping. Wilson Combat or Les Baer are out of my price range.

Last edited:

Search

Established Member
Dad being a reserve cop has a Glock .45. Best handgun I've ever shot personally. I like it :) but theres more history behind the 1911 plus.. it's been around forever. It's still a good solid pistol.

goalie928

Established Member
I work at a gun range in Baton Rouge and have seen a lot of 1911's. If you can afford the jump in price go for the Wilson or some other custom brand as mentioned before in this thread. If you can't afford the jump go with the kimber I promise you it’s the next best thing. As said before they have had problems with their external extractors but the raptor has an internal one that has no problems. I own a compact CDP that I concealed carry and I would put it up against any other 1911 in the market regardless of price. The higher end smith's like the one you are looking at are nice, but the kimbers are just a step above, you won't be disappointed.

NETHNGBTSTK

Established Member
I have 3 Kimbers so i am totally bias but kimer FTW!! Also out of the three I never have had a problem with the ejector as some members mentioned. The worst that ever happens with the kimber is it will jam a round after about 500 rounds when it starts to get dry.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Wilson Combat or Les Baer are out of my price range and I'm not interested in them.

So what gives Kimber the lead? What makes them that much better than the Smith & Wesson I have shown? It's been my experience that Kimbers carry nearly the same amount of hype as a Glock.

Secesh

Established Member
Wilson Combat or Les Baer are out of my price range and I'm not interested in them.

So what gives Kimber the lead? What makes them that much better than the Smith & Wesson I have shown? It's been my experience that Kimbers carry nearly the same amount of hype as a Glock.

I don't think it's a matter of it being that much better as it is opinion. Like someone above, I own a Kimber Compact CDP which is great for carry. I've never had a problem with it. But either of your picks are going to be nice guns. I'm not a fan of extended magwells, been there already, so I'd choose the Kimber for that reason alone. But that's me. Do you need an ambi safety? If not then you might want to look at something that doesn't have one.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I don't believe Kimber uses an external extractor any longer.

Beats me. I haven't paid much attention to the gun scene for a few years. I'm sort of in the market for a decent 9mm, but that's really it right now. I'm set elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread