So I took the 5.0 to the track for the first time...

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
only 1/8th mile is available near me. Anyhoo....terrible times. Due to traction! Jesus christ I was literally spinning through the entire track! That is no exageration, i would not be suprised if i didnt leave rubber on the finish line. The first two runs were like this and I just about crapped myself. Wasnt too bad where i had to abort until the last run when i kept expecting it to finally hook (even getting on and off the gas) it kept spinning. Getting squirly at 80+ at the finish . This was with advance track OFF. I was running low 9's, pathetic...but again traction. I know the car had more

Put it in sport mode....aaand found out you cant do a burnout, lol. Stalled at the line, DOH!. But sport mode yeilded much more control but held the power back a bit too much. If only it was a TAD less "helpfull" id probably muster up something better. Best i did tonight was 8.6@85mph with a 2.1 60' (sport mode).

Advance Trac off is scary nuts. I need better tires to have that full control. Im running on the Base GT 18" rims/tires.

btw despite being non drag radials, a nice long burnout did infact help. Figure i gathered up some of the rubber the big dog race cars were leaving down.

One thing i did not try was with T/C off. I was getting sorta burned out through the day and the lines were getting longer and headed home. Curious if T/C off woulda done better or worse. Sport mode is helpfull BUT still a little too helpfull. Helps with spinning but wont give up all the ponies it seems....

Oh and i was launching off Idle with AdvanceTrac off (still unhelpfull, spins insanely). And slipping it around 3k with SportMode since it would help me out a bit. Tips much appreciated! Im hooked again, its been a while since Ive been to the dragstrip. These cars have some SERIOUS power

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Wow, mine hooked like it was on a Dr when I ran. Maybe your track wasn't prepped good. Anyways, I found launching a little over 4K and feathering the clutch worked best for me, cut a low 1.9X on stock 255's

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
man I couldnt do ANYTHING to help. Feathering, taking long lunches and scratching my butt between each shift, rolling off the line instead of hammering it.....NOTHING worked. I swear this car knew it was on a track and not the street. Cause at times on the street it barely barks 2nd (and at times it breaks em lose hard....seems like she chooses wtf she wants to do). At the track, it roasted the tires in any gear....

I see you have a brembo car, your wheels/tires are much different.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Yeah I guess I'd have to chalk it up to the difference in tires, but still I clubbed the hell out of it and it hooked like crazy.. although I did fully expect it to spin before I ran it the first time.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
im hitting up another track saturday . AAA speedway (1/4 mile). They dont do it as much and this is the last evening/night race they will have so I figure ill get some more practice in. Irwindale (1/8th) is more local and EVERY thursday. Last time i visited Fontana i hated the way they ran the track. There the whole day and got 2 runs in, bs. Wish me luck this weekend.

btw how did you run your car? T/C off? Sport Mode? Adcance Trac off???

was here

Steeda Rep
Established Member
So this car is 100% stock? What psi? are you driving through the water box or around. Sounds like you just may need more practice. You will get there. Just stay at it.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
bone stock. Didnt lower the air pressure. Wasnt sure what to put regular street tires at. I use to run my cobra on drag radials. recomendation on decent PSI for stockers???

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Makes no sense to lower pressure in street tires. Lower it too much and the middle humps and you lose contact patch.

On regular street tires my best 60' was at 32psi.

wbt

Banned
Over the many years and cars, I have achieved best results with 25psi. Recent cars: 2010 GT500, 2011 GT, 2010 Challenger R/T.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Makes no sense to lower pressure in street tires. Lower it too much and the middle humps and you lose contact patch.

On regular street tires my best 60' was at 32psi.

This!

I didn't touch air pressure, rolled through the box and did a quick 2nd gear burnout and was ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread