So i think i'm about to get boned over.... again

i3ooivl

Established Member
well.... In july i got a new motor installed at gainesville ford mitsubishi. It ended up taking 4.5 weeks before i finally got it back and immediately started having problems....

So i took it back to them and told them to fix it, because it was under warrenty still and i had only had it for about 2 weeks before it started to fall apart. So they kept it for a little more than a week and gave it back to me.... With all the problems still in tact. WHAT a waist of time.

So i called ford corperate and complained and told them that i do not think that gainesville ford is competant and i would like to take my car somewhere else to do the warrenty work.

Which lead me to gainesville lincoln mercury. I gave them the list of problems, and right away they seemed much more professional and knowledgeable than gainesville ford..... When all of a sudden after they've had it for 4 hours they call. The service manager told me that he didn't know what was wrong and did not know how to fix any of my problems.

Now correct me if i'm wrong.... but shouldn't ford require that their techs to know how to correctly install the parts that they sell? The lincoln/mercury place is going to work on it a few hours after i gave them the list of part numbers and the phone number to the guy at gainesville ford.

which is onto the second question.... What do you do when you have a warrenty but no one can fix the problems?

and fyi.... these are some pretty annoying problems. Biggest of which is the AMAZINGLY loud screech comming from the back/underside of the engine bay, an idle that is solid as a rock as long as the a/c isnt on and i'm not using the power steering, and engine noise now in the radio which appeared after the install.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
In regards to the radio noise...may be a loose/disconnected ground, or they left off a radio supressor somewhere.

If it can't pull any load at idle, it could be that you have a sticking IAC, the TPS is slightly off, or a piece of carbon in the TB.

Ford should EASILY be able to fix these problems. Especially if you have an extended warranty.

What's really happened? New engine or parts installed?

i3ooivl

Established Member
completely new block/heads/cam

Brand new IAC, no carbon on the throttle body... i havent checked the tps voltage.... But like you said, a ford place should be able to fix it no problem. But Neither of the two in gainesville florida can apparently.

As for the squeel.... I just got a call from the guy and he "thinks" he's identified it and fixed it. So they're going to try to fix the idle by this afternoon.

The only thing fords customer service line could offer me is to make me another appointment at a different ford place. Now thats really nice of them and all, but i really need my car! Thats my only way to get to and from school.

Should i try calling back and requesting a rental car?? This is getting fairly rediculous.... In the past 8 weeks i've had my car for 3... and its been broken pretty much the whole time.

Cam99

Established Member
You would probably have more luck getting a loner from the place you bought the car from. If the new dealership is trying to earn your future business they might give you one also, but not likely.

jrc347

Established Member
i3ooivl said:
1. AMAZINGLY loud screech comming from the back/underside of the engine bay,

2. An idle that is solid as a rock as long as the a/c isnt on and i'm not using the power steering,

3. And engine noise now in the radio which appeared after the install.

Possible causes are:

1. Throw out bearing, pilot bearing, or flywheel rubbing on dust shield.....

2. Is the CEL on? A vacuum leak could cause those symptoms without lighting the CEL. Or low fuel pressure. Does the car run good otherwise?

3. This could be related to symptom 2. The plug wires might be arcing, or the radio supressor is missing, or bad ground. Were new plugs installed? What type of plug was installed?

Drive to Oralndo monday morning and I'll have it fixed asap.

i3ooivl

Established Member
well he talked me into letting them keep it until monday.....

The squeel he thinks is a lack of breather on the valve cover (which does make sense..) The idle problem they still have no clue about. The car runs amazing while it when its moving, the squeel and the radio noise are still audible while the car is moving. The squeel does not vary with rpm's though.

Plug wires are brand new frpp 9mm wires and they are new autolite plugs.

PS..... if they cant fix it by monday i may take you up on driving it down to orlando

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
jrc347 said:
Possible causes are:

1. Throw out bearing, pilot bearing, or flywheel rubbing on dust shield.....

2. Is the CEL on? A vacuum leak could cause those symptoms without lighting the CEL. Or low fuel pressure. Does the car run good otherwise?

3. This could be related to symptom 2. The plug wires might be arcing, or the radio supressor is missing, or bad ground. Were new plugs installed? What type of plug was installed?

Drive to Oralndo monday morning and I'll have it fixed asap.

If this is an 03/04 Cobra:

1. That one is correct. Bad TOB.
2. Rough idle is caused by three things: the IAC, a dirty MAF, and an old ECU program.
3. This is a bad radio. Have it replaced. I went through 4 radios and the last one had a bad ground somewhere in the amp portion of the 6 disc changer.

i3ooivl

Established Member
its a 94 cobra

Brand new throw out berring, brand new iac, brand new MAF, The ecu program would probably fix it, but ford promised because it was a ford motor the stock ecu would handle it.

And the radio is a panasonic head unit, I swapped the stocker one back in there and it had the same noises. The noise started after the swap which makes me think it is a ground instead of a supressor problem.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
i3ooivl said:
its a 94 cobra

Brand new throw out berring, brand new iac, brand new MAF, The ecu program would probably fix it, but ford promised because it was a ford motor the stock ecu would handle it.

And the radio is a panasonic head unit, I swapped the stocker one back in there and it had the same noises. The noise started after the swap which makes me think it is a ground instead of a supressor problem.

I see. Have you changed out the plugs/wires recently? Sometimes a change in the ignition can cause R/F noise as well as rough idle.

Users who are viewing this thread