So I Just Got My First Car

poranksta

Established Member
As the title states, I just got my first car. It is an oxford white 2002 Mustang GT. I have always loved mustangs and now that I have one, I want to clean it up since it has about 80k miles and has some obvious paint wear. So my mission is to wax/polish/whatever to get the paint looking new or as close as I can get it to.

I know how to wash a car and thats about it. So if anyone could give me a few steps to really clean this puppy up, I would appreciate it and I did search the forum first before I posted this. Also, just to point out how little I know about cleaning it, I learned what a microfiber towel is today so I think I am in for a lot of learning.

What is the order of cleaning the paint?

Good products that are fairly priced?

Techniques other than rubbing in a circle :p

How to repair paint chipped away on front bumper?

I am not asking for a in-depth huge how to, just the basic steps and any precautions/advice to go along with my business.

Also whats an extremely good leather cleaner(even if it is a bit pricey)?
-Thanks in advance, and all of your rides look great

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Don't have much advice for you as I'll leave it for the pro's on here, but Oxford White FTW! :thumbsup: Congrats and goodluck

otownpj

Established Member
too keep it simple, i would utilize zaino's products.

they are incredible,

i like the griots garage orbital, if u are looking for one

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I am not asking for a in-depth huge how to, just the basic steps and any precautions/advice to go along with my business.

I have to say, it's just not that simple if you are looking to really bring back your car to like new condition. Here's a great thread from Autopia.org that can really get you started: Internet Resources for Newbs - Autopia.org

nocobrafornow

Established Member
first car

you lucky dog, my first car was a 79 toyota carolla also white but rattle spray can. but i was 16 back in 89 and i was just happy to have a car. anyway goodluck with the gt.

ISMELLRICE

Established Member
congrats on your new car and welcome to mustangs...i drive an 02 gt as well...not my first car, but its the first i paid off lol...
get used to some squeeks and rattles every now and then lol

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
congrads on the new car. if the paint is rough, then id recommend to take it to a pro, them you can maintain it from there, since you said you dont have too much exp.
or you can go over the counter,such as meguires, does a good job. polish and cleaner wax work good.
or get a polisher and some good products(search on here) but it a lot of trial and error and$$$$$$$$
good luck, let us know how you make out

01bluesnake

Established Member
congrats on the first car, reminds me of my first, white 92 gt. as far as paint care, start out small and leave the big stuff to pro's like paint repair or buffing. if you don't have experience in it, you can also try getting a hold of body shop scrap panels and practicing. First thing and easiest is wash and dry the car, then use a claybar and some spray wax or clay lube spray, then throw a nice wax or sealant on it.

Last edited:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
i order all my stuff online, but since ur a new guy, i would pick up most of the stuff at the auto parts , meguiars car care products (NXT Generation) work great for over the counter stuff. get some simple green to clean the motor, fender wells, inside of the rims, gas tank cover,
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/index.asp
clay bar and wash it 2x's

Polish

glaze

wax

and dont rush ur self

Last edited:

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
steps for detailing

1.wash
2.clay bar
3.polish
4.wax or sealant

Read this stuff and thank me later- [ame="http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158378"]Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum[/ame]

me and my friend are professional detailers btw

best products are zaino and ardex if you can find them

and dont halfass your car! take time doing this stuff and your car will look amazing

2-3 hours minimum!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread