So I had a little mishap...

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I have ran a 69mm pulley on my VMP Gen 2 TVS for three years now, whittling my time down from 9.92 to a 9.29 last spring. Over the winter I decided to try a 63mm to see if I could make it work.

I went out to datalog and still had my race tune in the car and still on a -6 supply line. I knew better and actually thought twice about changing the tune to one with less timing to provide a safety margin, but didn't. It didn't occur to me that I was approaching the limit of the -6 supply line either.

I stair stepped my way up in rpm's, 6000 (review log), 7000 (review log), then a third gear pull through a shift. That's when I hurt it. Smelled coolant right away. Got it home and it had pressurized the overflow and spit it out onto the engine. The log showed that lambda got as high as .89!

It would pass a coolant pressure test, never get hot, even do fine if I went wot through 1st and 2nd, but 3rd caused it a second time (after I upgraded the supply to -8).

I don't have the mechanical knowledge or desire to take this on. I asked my mechanic friend, but he didn't have time. I was then faced with something I've never had to do, take my car to a shop. I'm very picky. I don't want my car sitting outside, don't want just anyone wrenching on it. This posed a real issue. One person immediately came to mind, but he was a 12 hour drive away. I spoke with another shop 4.5 hours away and one other. I ended up not compromising and went to the first person who came to mind, Trevor Berkheiser at @Tricky Performance in Oklahoma City. Yes, I drove the car 12 hours each way so I would know it was in good hands, and it was. I dropped it off Saturday morning (flew home) and picked it up exactly one week later (flew out) and drove it 12 hours home with no issues. Trevor sent messages and pictures throughout to keep me informed. We went with Boss 302 head gaskets and ARP head studs for the repair. The heads were flat, so they were not milled.

If you want to deal with a shop that will take care of your car and do the job right and lastly, get it done when they say they will, Tricky Performance is the place.

Thanks Trevor!
20180508_182133.jpeg
received_2091124037837895.jpeg
received_2091620744454891.jpeg

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
wow good for u. I guess I've been blessed in the Turbo Buick and Mustang world cause CT has numerous great shops within 1 hour of me. Glad u got it worked out. How much more power did it make with the 63mm?

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
wow good for u. I guess I've been blessed in the Turbo Buick and Mustang world cause CT has numerous great shops within 1 hour of me. Glad u got it worked out. How much more power did it make with the 63mm?
I haven't had it on a dyno or track yet. I recorded my first logs all the way through 3rd gear yesterday. I haven't had it home all that long. This fall I plan to hit the track.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Glad you got things worked out. -6 line seems really small, but I guess I’m used to carbed setups, where you need at least -8 for the 450+ hp setups.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Fall time? So what was hurt exactly?
I don't make passes in the summer. Just spring/fall as I just chase a time slip.

Three holes blew through the head gasket. I posted a picture of one of them. I suspect that a head bolt stretched and caused it.

Users who are viewing this thread