So I got a ticket....

KP_510

Established Member
Was In Albany, CA (In the Bay Area right next to Berkeley) Got pulled over by the Albany PD they told me my exhaust was illegal and asked "Why I had it" multiple times. He wrote me a correctable ticket for illegal exhaust and window tint, he wrote on the back that a cop can't sign off on the exhaust I have to take it to a smog referee. My question here is do I have to go through with taking my car to a ref or can I just pay whatever the fine is and call it a day? I asked a Sheriff about measuring the db levels or whatever since the officer that pulled me over didn't do anything but look at it and ask me if I had cats which I do. The Sheriff had no idea and said and I quote "That guy must've been a dick we don't even bother with that kinda stuff" I don't have the stock exhaust and it would be a hassle getting all that back on and going through the bullshit I'd rather just pay the fine. Anyone know if this is possible?

Dusten

Established Member
I'll break your post down by sections. I am not an LEO, but its not hard to interpret cali code.

My question here is do I have to go through with taking my car to a ref or can I just pay whatever the fine is and call it a day?
California requires that you not drive the vehicle again until it has been fixed.
This is stated in
Vehicle Code - VEH

DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28150] ( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 5. Other Equipment [27000 - 28150] ( Chapter 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 2. Exhaust Systems [27150 - 27159] ( Article 2 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(f) No person shall operate a vehicle after notice by a traffic officer that the vehicle is not equipped with the required certified motor vehicle pollution control device correctly installed in operating condition, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle has been properly equipped with such a device.

So, no, you can't just pay the fine.

I asked a Sheriff about measuring the db levels or whatever since the officer that pulled me over didn't do anything but look at it and ask me if I had cats which I do.
Cali doesn't require measurement of dB level. The officer asked about cat's because cali's law states
(b) No person shall operate or leave standing upon a highway a motor vehicle that is required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device under Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code or any other certified motor vehicle pollution control device required by any other state law or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant to that law, or required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device pursuant to the National Emission Standards Act (42 U.S.C. Secs. 7521 to 7550, inclusive) and the standards and regulations adopted pursuant to that federal act, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with the required motor vehicle pollution control device that is correctly installed and in operating condition. No person shall disconnect, modify, or alter any such required device.

It states carb legal parts are ok in this section
(h) This section shall not apply to an alteration, modification, or modifying device, apparatus, or mechanism found by resolution of the State Air Resources Board to do either of the following:

(1) Not to reduce the effectiveness of a required motor vehicle pollution control device.

(2) To result in emissions from the modified or altered vehicle that are at levels that comply with existing state or federal standards for that model-year of the vehicle being modified or converted.

KP_510

Established Member
Damn exactly what I was hoping not to hear. Well I'm guessing my chances of getting this thrown out in court are slim to none so any recommendations? Since I no longer have the stock set up

KP_510

Established Member
Btw I have a pypes catback exhaust with resonator delete. I honestly don't think it was my exhaust that caught their attention but the blow off valve

Dusten

Established Member
Damn exactly what I was hoping not to hear. Well I'm guessing my chances of getting this thrown out in court are slim to none so any recommendations? Since I no longer have the stock set up
Unless it has a carb #, good luck.
Btw I have a pypes catback exhaust with resonator delete. I honestly don't think it was my exhaust that caught their attention but the blow off valve
Does the bov have a carb number?

NastyNate420

Established Member
I believe there was a thread posted a few months ago and the OP's son was driving the car. Had to go to a smog referee I believe. I had to get an exhaust leak fixed at a shop in Milpitas and the shop owner striaght up told me if I didnt have cats he couldnt work on my car without reporting me .
If have a stock midpipe for sale if ya need just hmu!

KP_510

Established Member
I believe there was a thread posted a few months ago and the OP's son was driving the car. Had to go to a smog referee I believe. I had to get an exhaust leak fixed at a shop in Milpitas and the shop owner striaght up told me if I didnt have cats he couldnt work on my car without reporting me .
If have a stock midpipe for sale if ya need just hmu!

Midpipe is stock still but if you have a full stock catback I'll buy that from you.

It's really just Berkeley/Bay Area that is like that. The rumbling from the exhaust must of hurt someone's safe space bs.

Why is that the case predominantly in that area though? What kind of local laws are there in place there, as opposed to in other areas of CALI? I we have certain towns in NJ where you travel at your own risk if you have a loud mustang. But the towns are VERY FEW.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Why is that the case predominantly in that area though? What kind of local laws are there in place there, as opposed to in other areas of CALI? I we have certain towns in NJ where you travel at your own risk if you have a loud mustang. But the towns are VERY FEW.

You how California is famous for its ultra liberals? Yeah, Berkeley is a breeding ground for them.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
In 20yrs you probably won't be allowed to operate internal combustion engines in that area of Cali - I'm really not joking.

KP_510

Established Member
Update got my ticket the other day in the mail. $182.00 pay off for each offense, the exhaust and the tints

oldmodman

Established Member
Update got my ticket the other day in the mail. $182.00 pay off for each offense, the exhaust and the tints

That's great.

Pay it and keep on driving. As long as the small print doesn't say "and must also be signed off by a referee station".

KP_510

Established Member
Nope no small print or mention of a smog ref anywhere. Like you said I'm just gonna pay it off and forget about it, thats all I wanted from the beginning lol

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I want to move out to California but I know my Mustang will never pass smog and I feel like all cops out there hate modified cars with a passion.

Users who are viewing this thread