So i got a lil crafty in my garage today

bossman429

Established Member
Well now that i finally have a good amount of tools along with some air tools, after doing my cam swap i realized my 7.5 gallon compressor isnt exacty air ratchet freindly, kicking on every 30 seconds... So at work. we are demo-ing a large factory and i found this ~30 gallon air compressor.... Only problem was it was 220V and I didnt wanna run a line for a 220 in my garage... So i cleaned it up and mated it with my 7.5 gallon compressor... heres the results

compressor_002.jpg

I first cleaned it down as it was covered in grime.. then spray painted it... there was alot of crap inside so i had to remove the two plugs in the side... one of which is pictured here

compressor_004.jpg

They were a little tight and required the use of prolly the biggest pipe wrench I've ever seen (borrow from work) and a piece of square steel stock... (also borrowed) to get them to budge...

compressor_001.jpg

Heres the old, much more efficient but 220V motor and compressor

compressor_005.jpg

It works awesome, only thing is it takes about 8 minutes to fill up completely but man what a diff. I can actually use my air tools and not worry about a thing! Cost me 5 bucks for 2 fittings which i didnt have. i Still have to put wheels on the bottom but im glad with the results... I also made it so i can use just the small tank for quick tire fills etc...

RL1

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken the 220 could have been converted back to 110

bossman429

Established Member
Yea Ill put wheels on it today... It was really dirty... i actually used that lava soap for hands to clean off the grime... then i shot the tank with some spray paint left over from my valve covers... its 100X's better now. I could have converted it to 110 im sure but for about 1.5 hrs of work this was alot easier

04Red-Snake

Established Member
bossman429 said:
Yea Ill put wheels on it today... It was really dirty... i actually used that lava soap for hands to clean off the grime... then i shot the tank with some spray paint left over from my valve covers... its 100X's better now. I could have converted it to 110 im sure but for about 1.5 hrs of work this was alot easier

I always admire folks who can take what is available, and are resourceful & skilled enough to make things work :thumbsup: . My Dad is like that - give him an old washing machine, a blender, and a bunch of miscellaneous electronic / hardware pieces and somehow he could make a car out of it. I, on the other hand, limit myself to putting together things that are simpler in nature, and that come with clear and easy directions ...lol. Good job man! :beer: :beer:

bossman429

Established Member
Well it was a great Idea but i dont know if its gonna work... I put it up to 100PSI and left it over nite... it held with just minimal loss of pressure (20lbs about) But i took out the plugs and the inside is rather rusty... to the point where there is debris on the bottom.. I guess i got lucky and the thing didnt blow up on me... and damage my car in the bay next to it... or worse me... but i dont know how safe it would be to operate this on a regular basis.. Imma look around for another better shape tank... this one is from 69 lol

04Red-Snake

Established Member
bossman429 said:
Well it was a great Idea but i dont know if its gonna work... I put it up to 100PSI and left it over nite... it held with just minimal loss of pressure (20lbs about) But i took out the plugs and the inside is rather rusty... to the point where there is debris on the bottom.. I guess i got lucky and the thing didnt blow up on me... and damage my car in the bay next to it... or worse me... but i dont know how safe it would be to operate this on a regular basis.. Imma look around for another better shape tank... this one is from 69 lol

LOL - You know what they say . . . sh@t happens. You gave it a good try, and that is what counts. Hell, we did not put a man on the moon on the first try - right? Go at it again, but just make sure to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread