So I finally got in.....

Solopony

Established Member
I have some mixed emotions right now when I should be ecstatic. After years of trying I finally was accepted as an apprentice for the plumbing&pipefitting union. I interviewed for the 5th time(once yearly) back in January and got the letter yesterday that as I was in . Problem is I had just taken a job at tool rental place last week. He wanted someone long term and expressed that in the interview. I told him I was the man and actually enjoyed the job. I interviewed for the apprenticeship back in January and was told they were taking 4 apprentices and I got my placement as 6th. Well sixth was good enough and I FINALLY made it after years as working as "helper" and a few layoffs. My new/old boss was upset he wasted the last 2 weeks and first asked if I was going to finish the day or week. I told him I could work for him till the 19th and it was up to him. He sent me home and said "they'll keep you busy for 4 months". I told him it's a 5 year apprenticeship and I get a degree and card when I am done and nothing else. I feel bad but should feel good. I hope I made the right decision. The union offers great insurance, a pention, paid schooling 30+ an hour when a journeymen and many other perks. I just hope I made the correct decision. I think my new/old boss just got to my head a bit. Either way I guess I just enjoy my few weeks off till I report to my new contractor.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Congrats. Don't feel too bad about leaving your old job, it was only temporary until you got hired on anyways.

-Eric

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
I have some mixed emotions right now when I should be ecstatic. After years of trying I finally was accepted as an apprentice for the plumbing&pipefitting union. I interviewed for the 5th time(once yearly) back in January and got the letter yesterday that as I was in . Problem is I had just taken a job at tool rental place last week. He wanted someone long term and expressed that in the interview. I told him I was the man and actually enjoyed the job. I interviewed for the apprenticeship back in January and was told they were taking 4 apprentices and I got my placement as 6th. Well sixth was good enough and I FINALLY made it after years as working as "helper" and a few layoffs. My new/old boss was upset he wasted the last 2 weeks and first asked if I was going to finish the day or week. I told him I could work for him till the 19th and it was up to him. He sent me home and said "they'll keep you busy for 4 months". I told him it's a 5 year apprenticeship and I get a degree and card when I am done and nothing else. I feel bad but should feel good. I hope I made the right decision. The union offers great insurance, a pention, paid schooling 30+ an hour when a journeymen and many other perks. I just hope I made the correct decision. I think my new/old boss just got to my head a bit. Either way I guess I just enjoy my few weeks off till I report to my new contractor.

This is a no brainer... sure its not good to let down your current boss especially if hes a nice guy... but he'll understand... Peoples cirumstances change. Take the apprenticeship and don't look back.

Solopony

Established Member
This is a no brainer... sure its not good to let down your current boss especially if hes a nice guy... but he'll understand... Peoples cirumstances change. Take the apprenticeship and don't look back.

I know it was a no brainer and he was nice till I told him. I can understand the situation i put him in but he didn't handle it like a man. Oh well I get a few weeks off now before I start with my osha classes and oreintation then report to the new contractor, hopefully not too far from home. There was no wish of luck and he said "they'll keep you busy for 4 months" the more I think about it he was such a dick about it. He first asked if I will finish the day or week and I told him I can work till the 19th(2 weeks and my first orientation is the 20th) and he can handle it the way he wants. He then just told me to punch out and go home but it's really going to screw him, he was just screwing himself.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Yeah sounds like he was a little butthurt, but he will get over it.

bs46488

Established Member
You made the correct decision.

Look how many posts we see on these boards of people that got laid off with no notice.

Yes your current boss was a little hurt, but it is business. If he was really hurt, he would have done something to make you stay. On the same rate, if he needed to save a buck or two...he could have laid you off or cut your hours.

I know this sounds mean, but you always got to be thinking about yourself and do what is right for you. I recently left my job and put my loyality in the wrong place. Now I'm stuck here thinking I'm helping them out, but instead I'm just getting screwed.

In the long run the apprenticeship will help you more than your current boss.

Good luck.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
You made the correct decision.

Look how many posts we see on these boards of people that got laid off with no notice.

Yes your current boss was a little hurt, but it is business. If he was really hurt, he would have done something to make you stay. On the same rate, if he needed to save a buck or two...he could have laid you off or cut your hours.

I know this sounds mean, but you always got to be thinking about yourself and do what is right for you. I recently left my job and put my loyality in the wrong place. Now I'm stuck here thinking I'm helping them out, but instead I'm just getting screwed.

In the long run the apprenticeship will help you more than your current boss.

Good luck.

Exactally... don't think that if it wasn't in the best interest of your boss... he would let you go in a heartbeat without notice. Never feel bad for your employer. Worse case senerio he has to interview a few more people to fill the position. There are lots of people looking for work so he won't have much difficulty.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
they want loyalty, get a dog. go where the money is.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I agree my Bro in law was laid off today without notice. They just bought a new house a kid on the way and their other kid has already had 2 open heart surgeries andhe is only 3. Now they are going to pay a buttload to insure his kid..You made the right move. You never know when work is going to slow down and your boss lets you go. You made the right move. PLUS you get a trade skill out of the deal!! Wish you luck my friend

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Screw your current boss. The minute he doesn't need you, he'll put you out like a piece of trash. You have to do what's best for you and only you. Congrats on the apprenticeship.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Your former boss just showed you his true colors. Wonder how he would act if you showed up as a customer.

Congrats on getting in the door. I'm not a big fan of unions but I realize in a lot of places thats the only route to a decent trade.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you made the right decision for you.

but I am siding with the old boss. you lied and went back on your word. I would have let you go as well and I would have forgone the "wish you luck" as well. what was he supposed to do? pat you on the back and say sure you lied to me but I will forgo hiring a replacement and keep paying the liar so he can go to a different job? oh HELL no.

I know it was a no brainer and he was nice till I told him. I can understand the situation i put him in but he didn't handle it like a man. Oh well I get a few weeks off now before I start with my osha classes and oreintation then report to the new contractor, hopefully not too far from home. There was no wish of luck and he said "they'll keep you busy for 4 months" the more I think about it he was such a dick about it. He first asked if I will finish the day or week and I told him I can work till the 19th(2 weeks and my first orientation is the 20th) and he can handle it the way he wants. He then just told me to punch out and go home but it's really going to screw him, he was just screwing himself.

verbal

Established Member
You made the right decision. You will have a career vs. a dead end job. You have to look out for yourself so don't feal guilty about bailing on the rental job.

I worked as a union apprentice in the electrical union and it was a good program. It is tough to go from work to night school but it pays off. You will be making pretty good money in a few years.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
Don't sweat it dude, I went to a shop and told them I was the guy they were looking for, blah blah blah, to get the job.

I couldn't handle the pay cut, so after 2 months and burning through my savings I quit. They were pissed and tried to get in my head. But didn't matter.

At the end of the day its you that has to do what you have to do. Be happy and enjoy the time off.

Congrats OP. Sounds like your old boss liked your potential, so naturally he didn't take the news well. When you have another opportunity surface you of course have to weigh if its a promotion and not a demotion. If this is what you coveted, then you should be excited and should forget how the boss reacted. Its the way it goes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Congrats OP. Sounds like your old boss liked your potential, so naturally he didn't take the news well. When you have another opportunity surface you of course have to weigh if its a promotion and not a demotion. If this is what you coveted, then you should be excited and should forget how the boss reacted. Its the way it goes.

isn't there a commandment against coveting? and now you are espousing the acton?

Users who are viewing this thread