So I finally decided to jump in..

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
Graduated from college, scored a good job, decided it was time to pursue my car dreams. Hell, its only a matter of time, before I will be unhappily married, stuck in a house with negative equity, and a good old variable rate mortgage...

Nows the time!

I realized against every tendon in my body, it would not be practical to own a rwd muscle/sports car to commute in lovely NYC seasons year round.. so I decided a cobra/gto/camaro/challenger would all get put on the back burner until I am "baller" enough to afford two cars, two insurance payments, and a garage.

Ended up scoring a certified pre owned 2008 BMW 335xi.
3.0 TT 6.. check.
AWD... yup.
Fully loaded with supple sports seats, navigation, and a hundred other gizmos I don't ever need, use, or even understand... its got em!
An image brand that makes the top 10 neighbor you never speak too decide to go down on you... yessss.

Come to find out the n54 series of BMW motors (3.0 TTs) are plagued by a plethora of fuel problems.
High pressure fuel pumps, stop pumping (warrantied by BMW for 10/120)
Injectors.. stop injecting.
Sensors, stop sensing.

Hey, who cares I have a 100k mile warranty, and TWO, yes TWO years of FREE maintenance... What kind of IDIOT changes their OWN oil?! (sarcasm) :beer:

I devise a routine, using my "logic" in the hopes of avoiding the fuel-system related issues, and the headaches intrinsic with visiting a stealership.

1. Never let the gas tank go below 1/2, give the fuel pump a break, avoid any "sediment", and add a "control" in-case failure happens.. (many theories, ethanol being the main one, HELL BMW has had 3 revision of the pump and they all SUCK, figuratively... not literally.)
2. Only use 93 octane from ONE premium brand... (BP)

Second day I have the car, I let my buddy take the car for a spin. Who would of thought run flat tires and potholes don't mix.. oh well, shit happens.

Last night we`re out cruising.. oh, how about a nice little cigarette burn in your A-pillar... hey what are friends for?

Toss my pal the keys, and we pretend we`re on the autobahn for a few miles. Slide the car into its #39 (condo), and go to bed... all is well in my universe.

Turn my new jet-black, Bavarian god over this morning... It starts shaking like California in Earthquake! "Reduced Power" "SES light"
Restart the motor, all is well, engine seems fine, all I have is a nice little SES light partially hidden by my steering wheel..
I`m being told its most likely an injector.

Two days ago my new issue of Motor Trend arrived...
That new Mustang GT is looking more, and more like a 23 year old brunette in stilettos (with a nice big ass, and Cs preferably) as opposed to my washed up, Stacker 3 addicted temperamental BMW.

Remorse is here. :cuss:

Last edited:

stangposse

Established Member
Wow. I joined E90post and I have been reading about these cars for a year. Even with all this horrible quality and reliability, I still fight the urge to get one. The engines are badass and I love the way the car looks.

Warranty or bust!!!!!

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
Friends tuned 335 coupe hangs within 2 cars of a 534hp t67 95 Supra..

Yes, they are ****ing beautiful... when they work.

"Quality" is not an issue.. my premium/sport/cold weather sedans interior is one hell of a place IMO..
Reliability... not so much.

Last edited:

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
I should say, that he specifically bitches about the problems you described! The pumps, injectors, etc.

In that case hes definitely spot on...

As far as other 335 owners having problems...
I know two other 335 owners, and both have had multiple fuel pump problems, or injectors, or both..

Ironhand

Banned
I like the 335s but didnt know about all the issues..

You got any pics of your ride by chance?

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Wow that sucks man.. Any car can have problems, hope they get it worked out for you, then you can take and trade it in for a new 5.0 :D
Don't feel bad.. Search my posts a little and see my luck with a new vehicle, only 7554 miles :(

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
congrats on graduating. tomorrow is my last day and will be graduating as well.

and g/l with the car and the future.

where did you go to school? and where on the island do you live? i used to live out there and might be moving back.

and lol at your description of both cars at the end of your original post.

Last edited:

Thump_rrr

Established Member
...I devise a routine, using my "logic" in the hopes of avoiding the fuel-system related issues, and the headaches intrinsic with visiting a stealership.

1. Never let the gas tank go below 1/2, give the fuel pump a break, avoid any "sediment", and add a "control" in-case failure happens.. (many theories, ethanol being the main one, HELL BMW has had 3 revision of the pump and they all SUCK, figuratively... not literally.)
2. Only use 93 octane from ONE premium brand... (BP)...

I'd love to know what the "logic" is in not allowing the tank to go below 1/2?

The fuel pump draws its fuel from the bottom of the fuel tank.
Any contaminants will also be at the bottom of the fuel tank.
Any water will also be at the bottom of the fuel tank since it has a higher density than gasoline.

On a side note I respect the 335Xi since it doesn't have the traction issues that I have off the line.
Someone who comes to our track runs low 12's with intake exhaust and a tune.

Last edited:

Blk04Snake

Established Member
And maybe you shouldn't use BP gas?? Look what happened to thier oil rig?

So whats the real consensus here? Is the ethanol in the gas wrecking havoc on the fuel system? Almost sounds like the horror stories I'm reading that some people run into with their diesel trucks when they get water in the fuel.. It doesn't go well with the new high pressure fuel pumps.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
well congrats on the purchase bud

However..... fuel pumps that go bad on the regular on these cars are the high pressure pumps, has nothing to due with how much the car is on E...throw injectors in there as well, also anything over about 35k expect a misfire at anytime due to the valves being heavily heavily carboned due to the diret injection. Also throw in random CEL's for minor dmtl pump leaks and other bullshit.

These motors while stout are some of the worst that BMW has made, IMO, and if you drop it off at the dealer for anything other than a oil service expect it to be gone for atleast 2 days.

Sorry to burst your bubble if I did, but us techs hate those cars, if oyu got any questions about anything PM me

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
well congrats on the purchase bud

However..... fuel pumps that go bad on the regular on these cars are the high pressure pumps, has nothing to due with how much the car is on E...throw injectors in there as well, also anything over about 35k expect a misfire at anytime due to the valves being heavily heavily carboned due to the diret injection. Also throw in random CEL's for minor dmtl pump leaks and other bullshit.

These motors while stout are some of the worst that BMW has made, IMO, and if you drop it off at the dealer for anything other than a oil service expect it to be gone for atleast 2 days.

Sorry to burst your bubble if I did, but us techs hate those cars, if oyu got any questions about anything PM me

Well my rudimentary knowledge and basic research has led me to believe carbon buildup seems the be the source of alot of the issues the n54 is experiencing...

Is it worth switching oils to something akin to Pennzoil Ultra, and using a recommended additive in order to fight the carbon buildup?

Ive learned that other di cars such as the RS4 are having major problems with carbon buildup also.. to the point of DIY intake manifold cleanings...

Servicetech told me blow-by could also be an issue, but im not too familiar with a DI tt setup.. Is it worth it to run a catch can? (which I own, but not installed yet)

Last edited:

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
congrats on graduating. tomorrow is my last day and will be graduating as well.

and g/l with the car and the future.

where did you go to school? and where on the island do you live? i used to live out there and might be moving back.

and lol at your description of both cars at the end of your original post.

Locally csi.. couldnt afford to go away, spent my college life working 50 hours a week as a sup for UPS over on Travis ave.
I graduated last may, and I live on the north shore, westerleigh area.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread