So how tough are these motors, anyway?

Twisted2

Established Member
I once had a Yamaha FZR600 sportbike. On an appropriate forum, I asked this same question, and received replies indicating that those motors were not exceedingly tough--maybe even glass-jawed. I later owned an '86 GSXR 7/11...and when I asked this question on a forum, learned that THOSE motors could just be run all day at redline in 100* weather, with no problems--which was indeed the case. My last car was an '88 Mustang GT. When I asked this same question on an appropriate forum, I learned that they, too, could be run as hard as one pleased so long as one didn't over-rev them too much; in stock form, 5 liters are overbuilt, and can take hard driving for 300k-400k miles...and actually seem to run better for it. My question: In your experiences, where do 96-98 4v motors rank as far as toughness? They sure are expensive--but are they rugged, or easy to break? Mind you, I'm not talking about racing/abuse--just good, spirited driving. Thanks.

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
they last a long time stock and in modded n/a form. theyre just as reliable as anything else so long as do basic maintenance.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
10 out of 10!

Took everything I threw at it for the last 15 years. Still running strong and does not burn oil. 46,000 original mile. 1 owner (ME) Transmissions and rearends are another story. :poke:

jmsa540

Established Member
yes so true... I'm on my second transmission.. had to replace the original at 122K miles.. I'm the third owner and it now has 127K miles on it.. original engine..

Kcobra99

Established Member
There's a local guy here that daily drove his and used it for track events. Last time I saw it, it had over 600000kms, original motor, second water pump and 3rd transmission. It would puff a bit of blue smoke on shifts until the engine warmed up, but ran like a top otherwise.

Twisted2

Established Member
Nice. That's the kind of stuff I like to hear. I'd been hearing of too many blown motors lately, in real life and on the net, and started wondering. As an aside, people LOVE these cars; here in the city, I get at least one comment every time I go out. Everyone has a story too. Lol. Yesterday, a bum at a stoplight told me, "Believe it or not, I used to have a '98...a clean one just like yours." I told him I believed him.

EDIT: Actually, the real-life tale of woe I'd heard, the guy had run his out of oil and spun a bearing or something...so that doesn't count. Either way, he said it would have cost almost 7 grand to replace his motor, so he sold the car.

Last edited:

bumsoil

Established Member
I blew a head gasket at 140k. Uncommon for these motors. But my car sees the redline too many times a day.

Noreast

Established Member
My car had 140k on it when I rebuilt it. Motor still ran fine just had the funds to build it. Still on original trans and rear though

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Most common failure by far is the rod bearings. With that being said, fill with 7 quarts of oil after you do the oil change and keep it at that level. I have 124,000 on mine and redline it like 30 times every tank, at least. I cruise sometimes too of course, but I don't hesitate to beat on it.

bumsoil

Established Member
Most common failure by far is the rod bearings. With that being said, fill with 7 quarts of oil after you do the oil change and keep it at that level. I have 124,000 on mine and redline it like 30 times every tank, at least. I cruise sometimes too of course, but I don't hesitate to beat on it.

i have a set of rod bearings ready to go in for just that reason. ill do it eventually.

mvk13

oooohhhhh Shiny!
Established Member
I had a timing chain break on one and a head gasket blow and warped the deck on another, both wiped out, but I beat the crap out of them in 100* phoenix weather. Seems like the 4v didn't like the heaylting and beating. I now have a built 2v and have had no probs in the heat....

CJK440

Established Member
Other than the 2 extra cams, same architecture as CV taxi's that crank hundred of thousands of miles.

The skirted crossbolted Cobra block and steel Cobra crank take tons of punishment. I like the head bolt design that allows them to anchor deep in the block instead of tweaking the casting near the deck surface.

Rods & bearings, pistons and to some, the PM oil pump rotors are weak links.

Bite u

Established Member
Bought mine and the speedo was broke at 112k it's had numerous owners... But I have had her for a year and a half now... Made prolly 40-50 passes down the tracks and a few street pulls and still going strong... Keep fluids checked and changed... Anytime u know for sure your racing always make sure oil is topped off for sure! Hoping she will last me a few more years.. Ill b updating soon... Plan on upping the shot this year from 75-125 and putting her in the 11's on motor and 10's on juice... Should b able to achieve that on the 75... Only time will tell though

Twisted2

Established Member
Thanks, everyone. All good info. I'm curious about what some have said regarding oil...as well as the apparent confusion on the net about the oil capacity of these motors. Some folks say six, and others, seven...which is weird. Did Ford not have any input on the subject?

Also, from what some of you have said, it sounds like these motors need every drop of that 7 quarts, not to be damaged. Most cars can be run quite low, without oiling problems. Any speculation on why these motors are different? Just curious. Thanks again.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Thanks, everyone. All good info. I'm curious about what some have said regarding oil...as well as the apparent confusion on the net about the oil capacity of these motors. Some folks say six, and others, seven...which is weird. Did Ford not have any input on the subject?

Also, from what some of you have said, it sounds like these motors need every drop of that 7 quarts, not to be damaged. Most cars can be run quite low, without oiling problems. Any speculation on why these motors are different? Just curious. Thanks again.

Ya, a lot of oil is used up in the heads and doesn't drain quickly, plus oil on all the chains and in the oil galleys, plus if you are in a turn or doing donuts... Don't wanna let the sump go dry. Running 7 quarts won't hurt anything, it will only help. There is a thread in the new edge section about that issue.

lafeva

Established Member
I agree with everything stated above. Keep 7qts of oil in them and keep them <8psi and they will definitely take a beating. My 97 only had 103k on it when I sold it but from 24k-50k the car had a 175 shot, then a pro charger on.( it always lived around my house before I bought it. When the third owner got it at 50k it was bolt ons only and remained that way til I sold it. That car saw all of 7500 Rpms whenever I was out racing. Transmissions are junk though haha I went through three.

Users who are viewing this thread