So how badly would I get destroyed.. 70' Chevelle SS 396

Status
Not open for further replies.

crr084

Established Member
Good friend of mine has a numbers matching Chevelle SS w/ a 396, 4 speed muncie manual with 4.10s (I'm pretty sure the only thing not original besides the gears would be the flowmasters exhaust). Yesterday he stopped by and was like we ought to line our cars up sometime. Yea, I have a near stock 97 cobra... I'm about 99.99999999% confident me and my little 281 would get killed especially off the line unless we were in the higher speeds where my 3.27s would actually get me past him after he tops out. Now maybe if I had forged internals, a twin turbo, some gears well then itd be a little overkill but you get the idea...

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
The 396 was bumped up to 350HP in 1970 IIRC. Weighs around 3700?

I doubt it will rev near as high as your 4.6 and he'll run out of steam up top w/ the 4.10's.

From a dig.. I could see a loss. From a roll. I'd be curious.

amorrow

Established Member
You should be able to pull on him, especially if he's on narrow and hard-compound Radial T/As or comparable tires common on musclecars from that era. And if on period bias-plys, it shouldn't be close.

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
I think you will have him man. Alot of people dont realizr that "most" muscle cars with the exception of a few really arent that fast by todays standards. Alot of them are heavy and if Im not mistaken back then the HP rating was at the crank and was taken with no front accessories on the motor. I know because I used to have a muscle car lol.

CJK440

Established Member
4 speed big block chevelle with 4.10's better have good tires to hook from a dig.

Also unlike our EFI stuff where it has to be tuned halfway close to ideal to even run, a carb w/ mechanical advance can be way off and still seem OK to the owner.

Case in point is a friend with an "11 second" 454 Chevelle that finally took it to the track and ran 14's. So unless he has been to the track regularly or went high tech with a dyno tune, I'm guessing its not going to be up to its potential. EFI is new to me. I always played with carbs and distributors. Its amazing how much power you leave on the table if you simply slap your junk together without a proper way to tune.

Back in the day horsepower numbers varied on either side of the truth and magazine tests were with a prepped car with a demon tune, so a best case scenario.

My money is on you provided you can drive.

Last edited:

crr084

Established Member
I guess theres only one way to find out.. But I'm going to wait till I get my H&R ss springs, magnaflow x pipe & catback, steeda pulleys, new plugs/wires, cleaned k&n air filter, and possibly some pro 5.0 3.90s installed before I do it. At least I have a mgw short throw shifter. Too bad I'm only running little 245 on the stock 17s... but my day will come when some 18x9s and 18x10s with 265/275 fronts and 285/295 rears arrive.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I doubt the old chevy shovel is 100% stock after 40 years. just sayn.
325-350hp for 1970 was underrated.

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
My brother-in-law has a 396 numbers match Chevelle 4-speed also. I believe it's a 69. He has a Holly 750 on it and a Edelbrock intake. Anyway I've ridden in it more than once and that car moves.....until 60 then it starts falling off. I think it's going to be a close race in the beginning as long as your a good driver. I would wait til you have the gears in for sure. Wouldn't hurt to let some air out of your tires to help hook.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Here is an interesting thread from SS owners:
[ame=http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1484]1969 SS396 1/4 mile time ?? - Chevelle Tech[/ame]

crr084

Established Member
I remember a long time ago when I had a 94 gt and pulled up to a 70s cutlass 442 and i gave it everything it had when the light turned green, and didn't stand a chance. My friend next to me goes I wonder if he even knew you guys were racing, lol.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Those 442's made something like 500hp right from the factory. Chevelles did not make that much with a 396, the 454 maybe but they are still heavy as hell

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I ran a 396 SS a few years ago and beat him.

It was fully restored and with beautiful paint. I think it was blue with white stripes on center front to back.

I put about 2-3 carlengths on him from 0-70 or 80.

Depending on what your mods are/hp totals, I would think it will be a close race.

crr084

Established Member
so the overall consensus is that out of the hole I'd get annihilated but from a roll I might stand a bit of a chance depending on how well I can drive. That Chevelle's exhaust sounds so good. My stock exhaust = the opposite of awesome. Can't wait for the magnaflow stuff to arrive.

Did any of the old muscle cars back then have forged internals from the factory like the terminators?

amorrow

Established Member
so the overall consensus is that out of the hole I'd get annihilated but from a roll I might stand a bit of a chance depending on how well I can drive.

No, if his car really is stock, you should run on him from the start. 4.10s won't do a bit of good with no traction, and most tires used on classic restored musclecars have little of it.

Did any of the old muscle cars back then have forged internals from the factory like the terminators?

Most did not, although some did - Boss 302s being just one example.

94venomV8

Established Member
OK first off, stop being a wuss and just run him! lol Second, I have pretty good insight on this topic as not only my dad used to have one but I currently have 2 buddies that own them as well. Since my dads was a 454 it isnt relevant however both my friends cars are 396 cars. These cars do NOT run up to there potential on the strip especially with old skinny tires on them. One of my buddies cars is a 396 4 speed, it has a Holley Carb on it, 4:11 gears, a Holley intake, Long Tubes, and full exhaust as well as some suspension stuff (nothing too extreme). This car feels FAST when you ride in it but in the quarter he hasnt pulled better then a mid 13 out of it. These cars are heavy and also dont forget with the technology in them they dont always pull consistent horsepower out of the motors like they should, its not a tune to perfection like in these cars where you can get every horsepower, carbs are very touchy with weather conditions, and everything else.

Another side note is one of my Dads friends who own a 66 Dodge Coronet with a 383 and some work done to it, it has higher compression, Carb, Intake, rear gears. The best he has got is mid to high 12's. Its just a simple equation, muscle cars have crappy suspension, weigh a lot, and have a hard time getting the power they make to the pavement. Unless this guy has good tires, hes a good driver, and has mods to his car I think it would be a close race. I am guessing your car would be in the high 13 range out of what I normally see as long as you can drive.

amorrow

Established Member
Those 442's made something like 500hp right from the factory. Chevelles did not make that much with a 396, the 454 maybe but they are still heavy as hell

Funny...my little 'ol "289" has no trouble running from 442s. ;-) :-D

th_EngineBay-1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread