so almost lost the L today!!!!

frogsdime

Established Member
Well today I was headed to Best Buy. Pick up some news toys. Its raining and i decided that i was going to pass a 20ft flat bed @60 mph. Well about half way passing him the ass end breaks loose to the right, tried to correct to the left, shifts back to the right and then left. At this point I am sliding in the middle of a 2 lane road in front of the truck, slide about 100feet or so and turn a 360 and finally stop on the shoulder. No damage done. Damn talk about adrenaline pumping wow it sucked. I couldnt believe that I was able to break loose at 60 mph of course this was on shitty Goodyears. So "somebody" wants me to be here for a little while longer i guess.

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
watch out when i wrote about doing the same thing i was told i didnt know how to drive.:D

In all seriousness im glad to here everything is ok.

please dont flame me for that comment guys i was just jackin around.

Last edited:

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
That happend to me in my First Lightning but I could not save it and rolled twice down and up in a ditch @65 on the way home from work. But I walked out with a few brusies and a lot of stitches in the side of my head from the glass. So I know what you went through.

SVT99RED

Established Member
you have to respect these trucks in the rain. So if I am reading this right you did a 2nd gear kick down? I am glad you made it out all right, but overcorrecting was why the tail went both ways and then a 360.

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
its not the goodyears fault, its the power of your truck. in the rain you can pretty much boil any tire. glad no harm was done.

frogsdime

Established Member
Well i went to Best Buy to get a headset for my comp, nothing big

It was a 3rd gear kickdown i believe. Or at least that is what i remember it only downshifted once.

And yes I do know that I tried to overcorrect hence the reason I went 360.

These trucks are insane and I learned a much needed lesson today I believe. Thank goodness no damage or no one got hurt from it.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Glad your ok but becareful when passing trucks. Dont expect any of them to try to avoid you............ I wont even lift anymore

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Dang man, I bet that put your heart through your ribs!

Glad to hear the truck and YOU are ok.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
glad you were able to learn the lesson without any harm to yourself, others, or your truck.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Lost my 03 Sonic Blue the same way. Lost the rear end during a kick down around a very slight bend and slid sideways then head on through a telephone pole and broke it into three pieces and landed 6ft down into a ditch backwards. Luckily I walked away without a scratch (well a bump on my forehead from the airbag and a bruise on my right knee). Even after reading over the years to be careful in the rain/wet conditions and also knowing someone personally that also wrecked another 03 Sonic Blue the same way, I still made a dumb mistake.

This was my first time driving it in the rain (I normally never took the L out in the rain to try to keep it from getting all rusty and shitty since it was my first brand new vehicle, lol). It wasn't raining exactly when I lost it, but the road was cold and still damp from it raining earlier in the morning. Now I make sure the boost gauge in my new one doesn't move past VAC when driving in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread