Snow?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
From what I was told last winter they made a rubber compound change to improve snow performance. The test mule had the 6.2L in it while doing their testing BTW. I was told in 4wd that it just flat hooks up and goes, very little tire spin because of how well it grabs in the snow. It should be really impressive but I never did get a ride in it.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
I'll let you know once we get some.. In minor snow its great.. I am eagerly waiting on our annual massive snow storm so I can hit some serious snow on the streets and out on the farm.

I couldn't imagine it not performing well in snow..

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'll let you know once we get some.. In minor snow its great.. I am eagerly waiting on our annual massive snow storm so I can hit some serious snow on the streets and out on the farm.

I couldn't imagine it not performing well in snow..

We'll be needing pics and vids of that.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Just got 2 feet here in the DC area. I had to go pick up some parts at a Ford dealership yesterday and really wanted to ask about a Raptor test drive.

I can't imagine the truck doing any worse than spectacular in the snow. My Jeep with mud tires didn't miss a beat, even driving around in the worst of it on saturday. I heavily compare driving in loose snow with driving in sand, which the Raptor is made for. I think the mechanics and driving styles are damn near identical except for the slippage factor in snow. Still, driving around saturday in the Jeep felt just like driving in OBX as far as turning out of ruts and hitting big patches of loose snow/sand.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
We'll be needing pics and vids of that.
My ATV is still in the shop, and I was hoping to rip around on the farm over Christmas, so I think the Raptor will have to make its debut..

Looks like we may be getting 30 cm of snow by the time the 25th rolls around.. Could be good!

Last edited:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Well I didn't get any good pics or vids (I snapped a couple then my camera died :( ), but I give the stock Raptor's deep snow performance a solid 8/10... The truck is very capable, but the stock tires suck in deep snow (this isn't surprising).. For very deep snow (I've seen a lot of it living where I do :) ) you need Mud Tires... The stockers don't dig enough to cut through the snow to grab traction, and they also don't clean themselves of the snow like a mud tire will.

One other thing I noticed in the snow is the crazy wheel hop from the soft suspension.. At low speed marginal traction situations (crawling through snow), the back end bounces like my Cobra on a rainy day.

All in all the snow performance is very very good.. Just a tire swap away from being a snow monster (although most mud tires suck balls on ice while the stock tires do very well on ice as well)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well I didn't get any good pics or vids (I snapped a couple then my camera died :( ), but I give the stock Raptor's deep snow performance a solid 8/10... The truck is very capable, but the stock tires suck in deep snow (this isn't surprising).. For very deep snow (I've seen a lot of it living where I do :) ) you need Mud Tires... The stockers don't dig enough to cut through the snow to grab traction, and they also don't clean themselves of the snow like a mud tire will.

One other thing I noticed in the snow is the crazy wheel hop from the soft suspension.. At low speed marginal traction situations (crawling through snow), the back end bounces like my Cobra on a rainy day.

All in all the snow performance is very very good.. Just a tire swap away from being a snow monster (although most mud tires suck balls on ice while the stock tires do very well on ice as well)

Chain it up.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread