Snow Tires!?

Wade Boggs

Established Member
Had the first significant snow fall here in ohio, man! This truck ****in' sucks in the snow.... What kind of snow tires would you dudes suggest? Please don't make fun of me, this is the only vehicle I have to drive right now. Believe me, I'd love to pack her into the garage for this winter....Thanks!

uncooked

Established Member
I tried to drive my truck last year one time in about 5 inches of snow. Truck was still basically stock as well.....

I put the truck away and relied on the bus or phoned in when it was super bad. This year I bought a 88 4 cyl mustang for the crappy weather.

I have heard lots of guys on here saying that they can drive in the snow fairly easly if they take it easy etc .... With my truck last year as soon as i lifted off the brake I usually starting to drift sideways let alone hit the gas ! :eek:

Not much you can do when we have as much torque as these things make and big wide tires that just float on the snow.

I don't know how some of you guys do it honestly.... Now with my mods wet roads are bad enough i wouldnt dare drive on a snowy / icy road!

Probably crap my pants.

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
By the time you add up snow tires, wheels for the snow tires, insurance deductible for when you wreck your L, you could have bought a POS beater and save yourself any headaches.

uncooked

Established Member
^ +1

Got my beater for this winter for $1000 with super low mileage, probably clean it up a little and sell it for double. Next year repeat with $2000, move my way up the beater pile :loser:

I cant stand driving a nice vehicle when there is sand / salt on the road :xpl:

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Any studded or even studless snow tire will work fine but remember, the narrower the better. I like the tall skinny 235/85R16 the best because of the tall profile and narrow tread width. The only draw back is that these only come in a 10 ply tire. If you get a set you will get around fine as long as the snow is not deep enought to plow with the front bumper. A tru-track helps and some people add weight to the bed too but I've never found that to be necessary.

1 Bad Bolt

Got to love the SVT
Established Member
Winter's

Well I do live in northern Canada and we get some pretty nasty winters down here so this is just my opinion. The first winter i had my L i drove it cause they was no way for me to afford 2 vehicles with insurance and well winter tires for the beater so i found some used cheap f150 rims in a 16" size and went and bought the best snow/ice tire on the market that year(michelin Artic Alpine 245/75/16). total cost installed was less than 1000$ and with about 100lbs of weight in the back (homemade rack over rear wheel wells) the L never once let me down or got stuck. Mind you my truck was completly stock that year. I could stop halfway up fairly steep hills here and get going without spining the tires... yes tourque can be your friend if you use it wisely. I had friends with 4x4 that had MT's or worn out AT's and my truck would do far better on the snow/ice packed roads then their trucks.. they had to drive in 4hi most of the time or they were always correcting for the back end going loose.. it's all in the tires man... don't cheap oit if your going to drive the L this winter.. Undercoating/rustproffing is also a good idea. i did it to mine and i have no rust on the underside of the L... hope this helps. thought I would also mention that my dad has had the tires on his truck in the winter ever since (05 ranger 4x4) and they are still 80% tread after 1 winter on my truck (got spun lots...lol) and 4 on his truck (never spun anymore...lol):burnout:

94green1le

Established Member
i just throw 400lbs in the bed and off i go. most of the time is spent going sideways, but if you really take it carefully it is fine. 2 winters under my belt in the L and i only got stuck once and it wasnt even from snow. it was a freak ice storm and i just couldnt move her at all

Users who are viewing this thread