Snow On Freaking Cars

soon2be03

Established Member
The Story:
well driving down the road today and a car passed me going down the highway, well the car infront of me had NO snow removed from its roof/trunk/hood and a pretty god size chunk fliped up and I saw it hit/come really close to the car that passed me.
Do any of you see the problem in this?? I hate it. I clean off all the snow/ice on my blazer. Yes I do get up early and do this. I guess its not a commen thing to happen. I dont know.

Question: Is there anything anybody can do besides take the time to clean off the car?? Have there been any serious accidents because of this that you all know of?

What I would do:

Since I'm not an "LEO" in the civilan world I will let you answer the question on your side. On my side, if it was on post I would pull the car over and inform them that they need to remove the snow from the car since it is a safty issue due to the fact that it can break the glass of a car behind them, and hurt the people in the car/truck. I would not issue a citation.

What would you do??

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I belive it is against the law to have snow on your car while traveling at the very least it is disrespectful to the driver your in front of

lightning_2000

Established Member
s-redeemer.gif

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I've also heard that it is illegal, but I can't confirm that.

Either way, yes it is very dangerous.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
In NJ it is only enforceable if it where to damage a vehicle. As long as the windows are clear and not obstructed there is not much you can do. People are just ignorant and its not the snow that gets you its the ice that flips off after the snow melts.

soon2be03

Established Member
BIGV said:
In NJ it is only enforceable if it where to damage a vehicle. As long as the windows are clear and not obstructed there is not much you can do. People are just ignorant and its not the snow that gets you its the ice that flips off after the snow melts.

I can understand that. But what about when the peson is following a reasonable distance back and the ice flys up, breaks the window? The person isnt going to beable to get the plate number, and now has to pull over or swirve and could cause a bigger reck. I know im throwing what if's out there and I could do that all day, but I almost saw it happen to a person yesterday, the day before and now almost to me today.

Oh and the person that it happend to yesterday was a convertible..wow if that would have hit is top..it might have been bad.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I could have sworn it was illegal. What happens if you have it on your roof, slam the brakes, and now it is on your windshield and you are driving blind for a few seconds (right when you needed to slam the brakes on!). Very very dangerous. We can all think of hundreds of reasons why it is unsafe.

Juruense

Banned
Ever seen a giant sheet of ice fly off the top of a semi at highway speed? That will get your attention real fast...

DropTopFord 5 0

Established Member
i know in MA its illegal to not make a complete attempt at removing a certain percentage of snow, its somewhere around 90% i think

soon2be03

Established Member
DropTopFord 5 0 said:
i know in MA its illegal to not make a complete attempt at removing a certain percentage of snow, its somewhere around 90% i think

Not to doubt you at all but thats true, then the question is how many LEO's would enforce that??

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Kilgore Trout said:
Ever seen a giant sheet of ice fly off the top of a semi at highway speed? That will get your attention real fast...
Yeah it sucks but how do you clean off the roof of a trailer?? Box trailers you cant walk on cause you will go thru the roof

Juruense

Banned
I do not think semi drivers can be expected to clean or even be aware of sheets of ice on the tops of their trailers.

However, I have seen some wicked sheets of ice fly off the top of them and have heard stories of serious damage being caused by the ice sheets.

The ice sheet will go airborne and then everyone behind the semi is in the target zone. Its pretty scary...

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
HARRISBURG – The Department of Transportation is reminding motorists that under a new state law, they will face severe fines if snow or ice that falls from their vehicle causes injury or death to other motorists or pedestrians.

“We’ve urged motorists to remove all ice and snow from their vehicles before traveling for years. Not only for their own safety, but for the safety of all motorists,” said PennDOT Secretary Allen D. Biehler, P.E. “We hope motorists will take this advice all the more seriously now that the new law is in place.”

Enacted in May 2006, Act 37 states that when snow or ice is dislodged or falls from a moving vehicle and strikes another vehicle or pedestrian causing death or serious bodily injury, the operator of the vehicle from which the snow or ice came is subject to a fine of $200 to $1,000 for each offense.

Massachusetts: Bill aims to clear snow, ice off autos

Users who are viewing this thread